Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Robbnva wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    kegglemax wrote: »
    hit the free weights at the gym, nothing like a good chest workout
    my knowledge of weight lifting is basically limited to what i learned starting this 5x5 program. I wouldn't even know how to begin some other sort of program on my own.

Seems like you've got a lot of reasons/excuses for why not. What do you want to do? What seems like a good fit for you?

I only started stronglift because when I was asking for advice that was the popular suggestion and seemed easy enough. What I want is to continue losing weight and getting rid of fat (diet is doing this) and get some strength and tone up. I don't want to be a body builder or anything like that but I want to have some muscles.

The thing is when I read online about SL 5x5 I keep seeing stuff like building mass, getting jacked, etc and that doesn't interest me one bit.

5x5 routines are a kind of "sweet spot" between strength and mass gains. However, if you are in a calorie deficit, then you'll just get stronger and lose fat. You won't really gain much, if any, mass.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    and yes I do have reasons for things. I don't want to live in a gym, I don't want to get injured, I don't want to stand around waiting forever, and I want to make sure I am doing it correctly and unfortunately I don't have many friends and none of them lift and trainers cost money and don't really feel comfortable interrupting a stranger at the gym doing their workout to critique my form and tbh I have absolutely no idea how I would videotape myself without a tripod or something.
  • Robbnva
    for example today doing dumbell rows my upper back was hurting when I was resting, and it still kind of sore now. When I google it I see results where it happened to somebody and and was told their form is probably wrong and gave suggestions on how to fix it but I can't tell if my form is bad or if the things I do to fix it are done properly.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I love CrossFit as it has helped me get very comfortable with weightlifting. But, as @lishie_rebooted said, your experience will vary depending on your CrossFit box, the trainers that develop the programming and the people who you are working out with. Case in point, I loved my CrossFit gym but they fired my trainer, so I am leaving to follow him because I don't the remaining trainers have the experience or interest to do as good of a job.

So, if you are interested in CrossFit, check out several gyms. Read the online reviews. Ask a lot of questions. Talk to the members. Do some due diligence. There should also be an onramping course.

Personally, two years in and I still love it. It got me off the treadmill and it put a barbell in my hands. It's the only work out that I've ever been able to stick to and that's enough for me!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Your title had me rolling. "Stronglifts vs P90X vs Crossfit" is kinda like "Motorcycles vs Hula Hoops vs Garage Doors" they are all completely different things with completely different methods, philosophies and outcomes.

The only real advice I could give you for now is to educate yourself. Immerse yourself in material from reputable sources and work your azz off in the gym. Some recommended reading:

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
    5/3/1 by Jim Wendler
    Watch the "so you think you can squat", "So you think you can deadlift" and "So you think you can bench press" series on youtube.
  • Robbnva
    edited January 2015
    yes I realize they all are different but they in some capacity help build muscle/strength and that's all I want.

edit - glad I can make you laugh :wink:
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I've done SL for 11 weeks now while eating on a deficit. Jacked isn't going to happen plus I think many of us just follow the lifting program and ignore a lot of the other stuff said from the creator and on the site because some of it comes off like the guy is a tool. Oh, I'm also 4'11.5 and female managing to lose weight mostly lifting and doing a little walking on the side.

You can rearrange the lifts as long as you get it done and adapt a little depending on the day. Sometimes the racks are taken so I'll do bench or something else first. I occasionally do a couple accessories and that helps take up waiting time. I also tend not to work in cause moving the weights, bar height, etc is a lot of hassle even if I'm up to using the 45's for squats.

Gyms have different busy times as mentioned. Maybe find somewhere else in your schedule. Around lunch time and from 4:30-8:00 pm the gym I attend is super busy. I don't bother lifting around 6 and even cardio is a struggle from the volume of people. However, it's 24 hour location. 11 pm is easy enough with the occasional young "bro" entertainment. Or do the 3x5 option if running short on time. It's all a matter of working on the moves and making it fit for you.

Form, ^ as addressed above already. Or someone at your gym location can do a form check, depending where you lift, etc.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I love CrossFit as it has helped me get very comfortable with weightlifting. But, as @lishie_rebooted said, your experience will vary depending on your CrossFit box, the trainers that develop the programming and the people who you are working out with. Case in point, I loved my CrossFit gym but they fired my trainer, so I am leaving to follow him because I don't the remaining trainers have the experience or interest to do as good of a job.

So, if you are interested in CrossFit, check out several gyms. Read the online reviews. Ask a lot of questions. Talk to the members. Do some due diligence. There should also be an onramping course.

Personally, two years in and I still love it. It got me off the treadmill and it put a barbell in my hands. It's the only work out that I've ever been able to stick to and that's enough for me!

@PRMinx, I was thinking of you and your situation when I made that comment hahaha
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    kegglemax wrote: »
    hit the free weights at the gym, nothing like a good chest workout
    my knowledge of weight lifting is basically limited to what i learned starting this 5x5 program. I wouldn't even know how to begin some other sort of program on my own.

Seems like you've got a lot of reasons/excuses for why not. What do you want to do? What seems like a good fit for you?

I only started stronglift because when I was asking for advice that was the popular suggestion and seemed easy enough. What I want is to continue losing weight and getting rid of fat (diet is doing this) and get some strength and tone up. I don't want to be a body builder or anything like that but I want to have some muscles.

The thing is when I read online about SL 5x5 I keep seeing stuff like building mass, getting jacked, etc and that doesn't interest me one bit.

5x5 routines are a kind of "sweet spot" between strength and mass gains. However, if you are in a calorie deficit, then you'll just get stronger and lose fat. You won't really gain much, if any, mass.

Agreed. 5x5 is about perfect for you. But honestly, so is almost any other decent program.

Pick something you'll actually do and then go do it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2015
    for example today doing dumbell rows my upper back was hurting when I was resting, and it still kind of sore now. When I google it I see results where it happened to somebody and and was told their form is probably wrong and gave suggestions on how to fix it but I can't tell if my form is bad or if the things I do to fix it are done properly.

It sounds like you have totally talked yourself out of lifting. Cool. Do P90X.

For reference: I rarely have had a lifting partner. I YouTubed all the lifts for form. Practiced mine in a mirror. There is a way to progress if you really want to, it just doesn't sound like you want to go that route.
  • Robbnva
    I do go in the morning usually, yesterday was an exception cause of the weather but there are still people there and they all seem to use the rack. I had to get up at 4:30 today to make sure I get there before anyone
  • jacksonpt
    and yes I do have reasons for things. I don't want to live in a gym, I don't want to get injured, I don't want to stand around waiting forever, and I want to make sure I am doing it correctly and unfortunately I don't have many friends and none of them lift and trainers cost money and don't really feel comfortable interrupting a stranger at the gym doing their workout to critique my form and tbh I have absolutely no idea how I would videotape myself without a tripod or something.

Guess what - you're no different than 90% of us.
    • I don't want to live in a gym, so my workouts are typically 45 minutes, 3x week.
    • I don't want to get injured, either, so I do a lot of youtubing and started with light, managable weights until I felt reasonably good about my form. Now that my weight has gotten heavier, I try to film myself periodically to check - I just put my digital camera on a bench or on the floor and hit record - it doesn't have to be overly complicated.
    • I don't have any friends, period, never mind friends that lift. I'm not sure what having friends or not has to do with this.
    • Trainers aren't required. Sure, they can be nice sometimes, but certainly aren't required.
  • Robbnva
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

For reference: I rarely have had a lifting partner. I YouTubed all the lifts for form. Practiced mine in a mirror. There is a way to progress if you really want to, it just doesn't sound like you want to go that route.

no, I still like stronglifts and would prefer to do that as it seems to be really easy to follow but I have no idea if my form is crap and I don't know anyway to easily find out.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Agree with other posters about educating yourself by reading, watching videos, etc. for tips on form and different approaches.

For the specific problem of equipment availability, you can learn some alternative exercises to sub when you have to. My barbell squats are only at #150 right now so I can just grab some heavy dumbells and do squats in a pinch. That won't work all the muscles exactly as a barbell squat but it's OK for me sometimes if I don't feel like waiting or working in with someone - just as an example.
  • jacksonpt
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Agreed. There are lots of good vids on youtube... you just gotta take the time to work on the lifts before you get into heavier weights.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »

@PRMinx, I was thinking of you and your situation when I made that comment hahaha

LOL.

It does really show how much trainers and personal relationships matter. I'm going from a 14,000 square foot box with amenities and a "Best of State" reputation to a 9,000 square foot box that is being painted this very moment.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    If you're serious about lifting, please find a trainer to work with you on your form. Hopefully someone who also lifts. I had been lifting on my own for awhile watching youtube videos, got a session with a trainer and was able to get a lot of out it and noticed a big difference in my form.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    I do go in the morning usually, yesterday was an exception cause of the weather but there are still people there and they all seem to use the rack. I had to get up at 4:30 today to make sure I get there before anyone

Sounds like you might need to invest a different gym. I ended up paying about $20 more a month to go to a nicer gym, but the time I don't waste waiting around for racks to open (on top of all the other equipment my old gym didn't have) has more than paid for the extra $ per month.

As far as being a newb to form....we all were at some point. The key is to start light, get comfortable with the movements, and then, AND ONLY THEN, start to put more and more weight on.

I've never had a gym partner. Eventually you will get the form down dude, just keep at it. All good things take time!
  • Robbnva
    edited January 2015
    allright i'll try and figure out a way to video my lifts. thanks guys and gals
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    allright i'll try and figure out a way to video my lifts. thanks guys and gals

Got a smartphone? Prop it up nearby and video your sets with that.

Then compare and contrast with pukka material online (lofteren already mentioned good sources)