What's inside your refrigerator?

Options
I came across this on the Splendid Kitchen website and found it kind of fascinating.

Photographer Mark Menjivar took pictures of the inside of refrigerators. It's amazing how different they all are and how much they tell you about the people who use them.

splendidtable.org/story/photographer-takes-voyeuristic-peek-inside-refrigerators

Anyone want to share what their fridge looks like? I will add mine below.

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    9809_10152561206417120_2228226933946478036_n.jpg?oh=fe56b01b14460a2a1c94e24c2d7cbb5a&oe=5565F920

1509755_10152561205852120_5428722587060073608_n.jpg?oh=a28cfda9313c80552babcf92abcca75c&oe=55584EE4&__gda__=1433177230_fc67011e5f76e694e6de6d663a3d016d

Linguist/Language Teacher | Willamette Valley, Oregon | 1-Person Household | Frequently Entertains

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    No picture, but my fridge is pretty bare, and my freezer super packed.

But that's because I do massive cook-offs every Sunday. I cook a ton of food for the week, and freeze the majority of it.

So my fridge:
    • 6 Servings of Spicy Peanut Thai Soup
    • 2 Servings of Slow cooked Roast Beef
    • Salsa
    • Feta
    • Celery
    • Carrots
    • Sauerkraut
    • A ton of random sauces in the door that I never use
    • Carton of milk

My Freezer:
    • ~20 ziploc bags of raw chicken, approx 200g bag
    • ~10 bags of cooked turkey, approx 200g/bag (I bought a 10 kg turkey when prices were low at Christmas, and cooked/carved/stored the entire thing
    • 1 ziploc bag of frozen, homemade turkey broth (from aforementioned turkey)
    • ~6 bags of ground pork
    • ~6 bags of ground beef
    • 3 bags of frozen fruits
    • 3 bags of frozen veggies
    • Frozen spinach
    • Frozen bananas (for smoothies)
    • 4 more containers of Slow Cooked Roast Beef

I'm about to cook a turkey soup tonight, and I'll freeze the majority of that too. Tupperware pays! :P
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I'm having a hard time getting my pictures to orient correctly. I also have two freezers and a huge pantry full of home-canned food.
  • azulvioleta6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah, the random stuff in the door...I have one little area (near the flax seeds) that I use a lot, but most of the rest of the stuff just sits there. The juice, for example, was left after a party maybe 6 months ago...hmmm.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Almond milk
    Soy milk
    Blueberries
    Spinach
    Romaine lettuce
    Earth balance
    Leftover lentil soup
    White rice
    Carrots
    Celery
    Vegenaise
    Salsa,ketchup,mustard, soy sauce lemon juice

Freezer
    Frozen blueberries
    Frozen raspberries
    Frozen strawberries
    Corn
    Peas
    Black beans
    Vegetable broth
    Frozen juice concentrate
    Freezer pops
    And my ice cream maker tub (always frozen, ready to go)

Tomorrow is grocery day.

Family of 5, stay at home vegan mama.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Loads of condiments - LOADS (many pickles, half fat mayo, ketchup, maple syrup, pomegranate molasses and a million Mexican and Asian sauces)

Also I like to keep stocked at all times:
    Green leaf lettuce (preferably some pre washed in spinner and ready for my salad)
    Broccoli
    Bell peppers
    Citrus fruits
    Fresh herbs
    Grapes
    Cheddar
    Parmesan
    Large flour tortilla wraps
    Small corn tortillas
    Refried beans
    Pizza toppings (right now, feta, pineapple, jalapeños, pizza sauce)
    Turkey bacon
    Eggs
    Pre roasted boneless/skinless chicken breast
    Lox
    Light cream cheese
    Cottage cheese
    Plain yogurt
    Milk
    Zevia ginger ale and root beer cans
    Beer
    Ciders
    Club soda

family of 3/artisan working from home/fussy toddler/husband gluten free and a big eater

• azulvioleta6
    Options
    SandyBVTN wrote: »
    Loads of condiments - LOADS (many pickles, half fat mayo, ketchup, maple syrup, pomegranate molasses and a million Mexican and Asian sauces)

Yay! I'm not alone!

A friend was teasing me the other day about having things like pomegranate molasses, zatar, achiote and laroco in my kitchen. I like to cook--a lot! I've lived all over Latin America and I've been influenced a lot by friends from the Middle East, so I cook some things that must seem exotic to most Americans.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    SandyBVTN wrote: »

Yay! I'm not alone!

A friend was teasing me the other day about having things like pomegranate molasses, zatar, achiote and laroco in my kitchen. I like to cook--a lot! I've lived all over Latin America and I've been influenced a lot by friends from the Middle East, so I cook some things that must seem exotic to most Americans.

Oh yes that's all the best stuff! We are so lucky to have the world's food at our fingertips.

• KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I haven't a clue. When I look in my fridge, the first thought that comes into my head is that it's time for another round of my least favorite game I call "What's My Contents?"
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No pictures because my fridge/freezer need to be cleaned out and no one needs to see that.

Fridge
    pitcher of unsweet tea
    milk
    juice
    eggs & egg substitutes
    guacamole
    cheese of many varieties and forms
    crescent rolls from the can
    butter & margarine
    bread
    some prepped caesar salad from a salad kit portioned out
    various fruits and vegetables: right now I have cherries, strawberries, watermelon, corn, canteloupe, tomatoes, carrots, celery, and bell peppers
    hummus
    an opened can of black beans (knock off burrito bowls are a weakness lately)
    Woodchuck amber cider (I stress bought it a couple of weeks ago meaning to drink one and never did. I'll probably never drink it and end up taking it to a party.)
    the entire door full of various condiments and sauces (the main reason I need to clean out the fridge. I'm not even a dipper, really.)

Freezer
    5 portions of 15 bean soup
    6 portions of mushroom barley soup
    approximately 10 billion pounds of boneless skinless chicken (it was on sale recently. :smile: )
    3 small bags of homemade breakfast sandwiches
    a pound of italian sausage sans casing
    a rack of pork spare ribs (I've had them for awhile. Been meaning to cook them, but I'm really particular about my BBQ and I am scared to disappoint myself.)
    extra butter/margarine
    various frozen vegetables: spinach, broccoli, peas, corn, and a couple of medleys
    cool whip left over from the holidays
    individual vanilla ice cream cups
    home made chicken stock
    home made seafood stock

family of 2. 20-something trying to save as much money as possible and a nearly 90 grandmother.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    @iamnotvoldemort, great list!

For your ribs - if you're afraid to BBQ them in disappointment, try slowcooking them. Totally different texture, delicious, and your BBQ expectations won't be ruined! :)

Here in Ontario, BBQ is an activity, not a food - I got sent to Austin, TX on business last year and learned very quickly why BBQ should be a food group ;) Delicious.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    fridge :
    milk
    fruit juice
    eggs
    sliced ham
    chedder
    cheese strings
    cheese slices
    greek yogurt
    mousse
    carrots
    courgettes
    grapes
    cream
    snack attack packs
    carton of egg whites
    llama meatballs
    butter
    random condiments
    protein mousse

freezer
    chopped bell peppers
    beef mince
    chicken mince
    peas
    homemade chilli
    home made chicken soup
    roasting vegetable pack
    chopped veg for soup
    protein ice cream
    ice cream bars
    diced beef
    potato wedges
    pizza bases
    chopped onions

• MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Water, 1kg yoghurt, and 3 bananas.

I ain't typing everything in my freezers, because I have 4 freezers full of food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of those pics are shocking. I'm not at home right now, but we have 2 freezers, 1 refrigerator/freezer, one beverage refrigerator and a wine refrigerator.

The contents of the fridge and freezers vary greatly based on hunting and gardening seasons. Right now the freezers are pretty stuffed and the fridge a little bare.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What's up with the snake in the freezer??
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Almond milk
    Soy milk
    Blueberries
    Spinach
    Romaine lettuce
    Earth balance
    Leftover lentil soup
    White rice
    Carrots
    Celery
    Vegenaise
    Salsa,ketchup,mustard, soy sauce lemon juice

Freezer
    Frozen blueberries
    Frozen raspberries
    Frozen strawberries
    Corn
    Peas
    Black beans
    Vegetable broth
    Frozen juice concentrate
    Freezer pops
    And my ice cream maker tub (always frozen, ready to go)

Tomorrow is grocery day.

Family of 5, stay at home vegan mama.

• jouttie
    Options
    Can I come to your house for dinner?! Only beer and a bit of lettuce, some half-used chillis, the obligatory carton of milk (lactose-free since my daughter has a lactose intolerance), some chicken legs because I made my daughter chicken soup this week since she is ill, and they will probably end up in the bin - I am vegetarian and she is a lazy monkey so they won't get used. One jar of Colman's mustard, the only condiment I use. That's it.
  • Bookbuyer2015
    Bookbuyer2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Arugula, peanut butter, cottage cheese, celery, nonfat milk, half a cucumber, half a bell pepper, egg white mix, Greek yogurt, leftover pork roast, an open can of pinto beans.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Mostly condiments. The whole door is full and at least one full shelf. I have an issue... Tomorrow is payday, so I will be grocery shopping! I think there is also some leftover taco meat and shredded beef roast...and carrots. Lots of rainbow carrots!!
  • jouttie
    Options
    What, pray, are rainbow carrots?