Ladies! How many calories do you consume a day?

Options
124»

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, you should raise it. When thinking about calories... don't just think of them as a number limit. You should take into consideration the protein that your muscles need, the carbs you need for energy, the fat you need in order to absorb vitamins, etc. Just because you do not feel hungry does not mean your body is getting everything it needs. ;)
    Set those macros goals and let the calories fall into place.

Editing to actually answer your question. lol I usually eat around 1450 when losing weight... 1700 when maintaining.
  • shellybelle1981
    shellybelle1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat 800-1000 but ONLY because I have had gastric sleeve surgery and that is what my surgeon and nutritionist recommend, given my teeny tiny stomach. If I hadn't had the surgery, I'd eat 1400-1600, probably, assuming I was exercising 3+ times a week.
    (Note: I'm 6 feet tall)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Since October, I have lost over twenty pounds and I have averaged 1773 calories a day. I am short (5'2") middle aged (46) with an untreated subclinical thyroid condition and a lifetime yo-yo dieter, so you couldn't possibly have a worse dieting profile.

I have a desk job and sedentary hobbies, except for my swimming habit, which I do about 4-5 hours a week.
  • LindaCirsA
    LindaCirsA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My base goal is 1670, but walking and yoga give me bonus calories. Sometimes I don't hit my goal, generally eating 1500 to 1700 a day and losing weight. I'm 5'8" with a BMI under 23.
    If you cut your numbers down too drastically (and I consider 1000/day drastic) your body and metabolism will readjust. Make sure you're getting enough protein -- especially in the morning to get your metabolism going -- as well as a wide variety of fruits and veggies.
  • occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started to lose weight I found it really hard to eat the 1200 that mfp recommended, so I ate 1000 odd. Do what feels right to you and works for you I guess. Some people just don't eat a lot, especially if you are sedentary most of the time.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Depends on your activity level and height/weight etc of course, but I eat 2500 and am 5'3"
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have to stay under 1200 or I don't lose. I don't know why. I have been doing this for six months and as soon as I go over 1200 the losing stops for some reason. I wish it were more.
  • vickw79
    Options
    I'm eating between 1000 and 1200. I'm finding it very easy and feel like I'm eating more than I was before. I eat 3 meals and snacks. I've lost 3kg in 2 weeks. I guess if you exercise you need more cals a day but I only walk a couple of times a week. :)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    To palwithme ...

Do you lift weights? I'm just wondering if doing an activity that burns calories over a longer time span might help you be able to increase your calories without sacrificing the weight loss ...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1987 since I have been working out more. Before I bumped it up it was. at 1700. I'd say I eat around 1600-1800 though.

I would go up a bit. I usually add 50-200 calories more.
  • bvrizzo
    bvrizzo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200ish but usually am around 1400. At the moment I am losing about 1kg per week which is the max my doctor recommended, but I started at 92kg and my diet was super heavy on the sweets and high calorie foods. Maybe add a little extra oomph to your veggies? Butter on your corn cob, dressing on salads, sauce on cooked veges, peanut butter and other great nuts to boost your numbers a little?
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 42 and losing easily and steadily on 1500 plus exercise calories, usually about 1700-2000 total.
  • LeighaLucas
    LeighaLucas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently set at 1360 c:
  • duffylynnreb
    duffylynnreb Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 1000 calories a day and lose no weight
  • jstarman18
    jstarman18 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goal is 2270, although I have yet to consume that many. Now, I'm not dropping weight but that's not my main goal. I do think you should bump up that goal and get some more protein in you. Of course keep eating those veggies, but throw some grains and meats in there as well.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700 a day and am still losing. You might want to raise those calories at least by a couple hundred as eating too little is not good for your health either. Try to include some calorie dense foods. If you are eating 1000, it shouldn't be too hard to bump it up a couple hundred more. Make sure you are hitting your macros as well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You should not be eating less than 1200 calories!

I eat a little over 1600. But I'm also taking my weight loss super slow at this point and go up to maintenance a few days a week.