My worst habbit is STARBUCKS/drinking my calories... what's yours? LETS HELP EACHOTHER

Options
I'm being pretty good with my other habbits that are affecting my weightloss/health goals, but starbucks and other sugary-calorie dense drinks are holding me back. I've been trying to at least stick to me non-fat, half sweet, vanilla latte, but even that is probably calories I don't need to consume.

But I love my bucks. I have seem to notice a difference even making this switch though...so maybe it's not a terrible thing!

Replies

• priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I get a latte everyday too. I get a non-fat tall latte and make it fit in my calorie goals. One can't be perfect. It's ok to have this habit as long as you account for it. Also, this is a lifestyle change for me rather than a diet, so I want to make changes that I can sustain. Couple of times I get a herbal tea instead of coffee though. That helps keep the calories down once in a while.
  • Illusent
    Illusent Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's all mental. I do the same with sweets. I feel like when I fall, I fall HARD! Bag of chips, little Debbie, energy drink... Ugh.
  • lieajane
    lieajane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to a tall, skinny latte with sugarfree caramel every Monday. Somehow it tastes better once a week than it did when I had it multiple times every day. Plus, the more I have the more I want.
  • elleinaDanielle
    Options
    Just calculate the latte as part of your breakfast! If it's your daily pick-me-up, you'll just need to account for the calories and macros, or whatever pieces are important to you!
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with soda. I had to make myself become accustomed to diet drinks to prevent it from affecting my weight.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm a Starbucks / soda addict, too! I just log the calories when I'm planning my meals for the day. I could never stick to an eating plan that didn't allow me to have my favorite foods/drinks. :)
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help if you calculated exactly how much you spend on those drinks, then calculate for a month, or even better a year. And put that money aside for new clothes or new electronic toy that you have wanted. When I look at how much I spend on Starbucks (Being a 100 yard from work), I cringe. I am currently made my self stop, its been 7 days.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    You can preplan your day and add your latte in there or you can swap it out for something lower calorie. I tend to get the iced green tea lemonade unsweetened .
  • jenmar17
    jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie; I'm not giving up Starbucks. But my go to drink is coffee (hot or iced) w/nonfat milk and sugar free vanilla syrup. Still taste a bit like a treat, but is much lower in cal than a latte
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »
    Maybe it would help if you calculated exactly how much you spend on those drinks, then calculate for a month, or even better a year. And put that money aside for new clothes or new electronic toy that you have wanted. When I look at how much I spend on Starbucks (Being a 100 yard from work), I cringe. I am currently made my self stop, its been 7 days.
    True! The cost is outrageous! I actually started buying Starbucks Pike Place roast and making it at home, and adding Cinnabon creamer (one TBSP is 30calories). Now, I only actually go into Starbucks once a week. Saves time and money!

• shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Mines instant coffee, white, one sugar. .. Only 60 calories a mug but when I'm having 6 or 7 a shift that's 360 calories! I burn that in a 25 minute training session!
    Cheers,
    Shaun.
  • ladygi19
    ladygi19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been able to give everything up except my X large coffee with cream, no sugar from dunking donuts daily. I really need to cut back on that... I thibk I'll switch to a smaller size. I am drinking a lot of fat but I do add it to my log at least and stay under my calories and keep carbs low. Still though....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sweets... cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream, if I'm in THAT mood, anything goes (like the 1000 calories of Girl Scout cookies I downed today. Sigh).

The good news is that you can still lose weight by making them fit in your calorie goal (like I know I can make up for those extra calories in 2-3 days).
  • sugarpeas
    sugarpeas Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have jumped onto the David's tea bandwagon yesterday. Drinking this one that tastes like coffee and it's great! Not sure it'll make me switch 100% but I'm going to aim to have this once or twice a week instead of coffee! I just add 3tbsp of milk and it's a good pick me up.

I've heard coffee is good for you in moderation. The same way wine is. But I've heard different opinions from lots of respectable sources. Not sure....

But right now it's about cutting out the sugar and saving a bit of money helps too!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    sugarpeas wrote: »
    I have jumped onto the David's tea bandwagon yesterday. Drinking this one that tastes like coffee and it's great! Not sure it'll make me switch 100% but I'm going to aim to have this once or twice a week instead of coffee! I just add 3tbsp of milk and it's a good pick me up.

I've heard coffee is good for you in moderation. The same way wine is. But I've heard different opinions from lots of respectable sources. Not sure....

But right now it's about cutting out the sugar and saving a bit of money helps too!

I went pretty much straight from coffee with sugar and cream to black coffee, lol. I got used to it. Now I like it that way too.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

That is a really good idea!
    Also, there are lots of teas available now that are really tasty. Not in a Starbucks way, but you can still drink something tasty and have the comfort / habit but without the calories or spending the money.

Celestial Seasonings and Yogi both make lots of different flavors. The Celestial Seasonings "Zinger" ones are really good poured over ice.
  • sugarpeas
    Options
    estud003 wrote: »

That is a really good idea!
    Also, there are lots of teas available now that are really tasty. Not in a Starbucks way, but you can still drink something tasty and have the comfort / habit but without the calories or spending the money.

Celestial Seasonings and Yogi both make lots of different flavors. The Celestial Seasonings "Zinger" ones are really good poured over ice.

Are you from the states by chance? Because I've never heard of those brands haha.

But Vancouver is catching up pretty quick!
  • ashleynestrada91
    Options
    sugarpeas wrote: »
    I'm being pretty good with my other habbits that are affecting my weightloss/health goals, but starbucks and other sugary-calorie dense drinks are holding me back. I've been trying to at least stick to me non-fat, half sweet, vanilla latte, but even that is probably calories I don't need to consume.

But I love my bucks. I have seem to notice a difference even making this switch though...so maybe it's not a terrible thing!

This is so true for me. I live for my venti caramel frap. But I moved down to my double shots which is just 210 cals
  • booboo8213
    booboo8213 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know how u feel I was a Starbucks junkie like I've been a gold member for over 5 years lol..I started to switch stuff all together but it will be hard at first I went from white chocolate mocha with caramel syrup to the iced green tea lemonade or the Orange mango smoothie that has the whey protein and a whole banana in it great after your workout...it's okay to splurge every once in a while at Starbucks with a guilt latte...I still get one once in a while but I try to even make that some what healthier even when I indulge I get a tall iced non fat white chocolate mocha with sugar free syrup no whip cream plus extra ice so it's a splurge but not to bad bc ur not over doing it :) and if you decide you want something regular with all the works just calculate it in your food for the way but workout longer to burn what your consuming ...hope this helps
  • sugarpeas
    Options
    My nonfat vanilla latte ( tall ) is about 120 cals. I'm going to start lowering my sweet level. Not too too bad.

But yeah tea might be my solution