'Afraid' of the gym - need help overcoming

Options
2»

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It helped me at first to go with my husband. For me, it's not necessarily the gym itself, I just don't like going to new places on my own. I have a lot of social anxiety and always worry that I won't know what to do. It's really stupid, but I feel better having someone I know with me.

After the first few times, I felt more comfortable with the "protocol" of attending the gym (knowing how to check in, where the locker room is, etc). Now I go by myself most of the time.

However, the more you go, the more you realize that no one else is paying attention to you. Unless you are doing something incredibly ridiculous (like moving around the furniture or being "that" old guy who doesn't like to wear anything under his shorts and lets the goods hang out), no one is paying attention to you. People are focused on doing their own thing. I guess if you're using the piece of equipment that they want to use, they might look at you, but they're probably thinking more about what their next set is supposed to be.
  • kmarks85
    Options
    I was a gym goer in my early 20s...even then with my 5'2 115lb frame I was still scared/anxious to even enter (I knew I had no clue what I was doing)...let's just say I'm a lot heavier today but I've realized it isn't just the gym that intimidates me...it's being judged anywhere in public. So I try to take deep breaths in the parking lot and then slowly push past it. I did find that chatting with the workers helped put me at ease. I know I can ask them questions and they have probably heard it all before :D
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the support and ecnouragement. I seriously was thinking I was a minority in feeling this way, but it looks all to common.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - anytime I've had to switch gyms, that has come with some anxiety...and I'm in shape, but it takes awhile to get used to something new...like the first day of school. You aren't going to get over it until you get in there...and to that end, it may be that particular gym isn't for you. I went to a gym a couple of years ago that me and my family really enjoyed but it was just too much of a commute just to workout so we had to make a switch...I went through 3 more gyms before I found one I was comfortable in.

2 - most people are way to busy getting their fitness on to be "judging" anyone. I'm largely unaware of what anyone is doing unless they're doing something really cool that I wish I could do.

3 - you will find a decent % of people in the gym who are fit and have the body to go with it...but you will find a greater % of people who are not fit, need to lose weight, and that's why there in the gym in the first place...in other-words, there are more people in your boat than my boat.
  • GoldieGlocks
    GoldieGlocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I would drive all the way to the gym just to sit in my car & debate if I should just go home or not. There were days I would go home then even drive all the way back. My insecurity was how fair my skin is compared to most people in Miami. I ended up going really early in the morning or really late at night. With time you will start to adapt and feel more comfortable. I feel pretty comfy no matter what time I go now but sometimes find myself still covering up the fair skin with a workout jacket :D
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm always nervous the first few times in a new gym. Timing usually makes a huge difference. I went to my current gym once after work and seriously thought about never going back -- so many people, and so much bro behavior! (From the women and the men, btw, just wall-to-wall people hogging weights and checking out their abs in the mirror). Then I tried going early in the morning before work and loved it. It's a totally different group of people with a completely different vibe. Try it out a couple of different days/times if you're able to, and hopefully you'll find something that works for you.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, but I never let it stop me from going. People at the gym are focusing on their own workouts, anyone who is more busy people watching then putting in work at a gym is a tried and true JABRONI (unless you're doing something so obnoxious people can't help but look) Also being in the gym is no different then going anywhere else. Go at the least busiest times. I find that the 11am hour and beyond 10pm are the better hours during the week. Set a routine, put in your headphones, focus on your own workout. Drown everything else out. It's easy, and letting mental barriers like this get in your way really make it hard in reaching your full potential. This is something you can do if you put your focus on the proper things. As someone who has relatively bad anxiety, I get how it feels, but 99% of it is made up in your head.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I get the same anxiety. What I did was get a trainer. Now I'm not worried about looking silly or doing something wrong, because he shows me what to do and how to do it correctly. :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I can be very overwhelming with all of the equipment and different classes and so on. I sort of felt that way at first. I did get a personal trainer to work with me (that was for my own accountability) but many gyms will have a free session with one that will show you how to use the equipment. I also started to attend classes and got to know some of the instructors. Now when I walk in I know the entire staff and feel like it is my happy place. There are still times where I feel a little overwhelmed when using a new machine or something like that but that soon goes away.

One thing I did realize...no one there was paying me any mind. I thought people were staring at me saying "what is that overweight girl doing over there on that machine and who does she think she is?" To my surprise that was not the case.

I did have one person come up to me about three or four months ago and tell me that he was impressed with my determination and my progress that I had made. I felt really proud. I also had someone in one of the classes that I go to say I inspired her to keep with the program when she wanted to quit because of the changes she saw me making. I will say that I have never had anyone say anything nasty to me.

Good luck!
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it helps that I feel like I'm being judged no matter where I go. So, the gym is no different for me. Seriously, though...I remind myself that if someone is judging me based on my weight that says more about them than it does about me. And I hold my head up high when I am there. Sometimes though I just have to tell myself- get over yourself, Kat, and just get on with it!
  • lieajane
    lieajane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel nervous going into the gym. I still feel intimidated in there. I would even if it was empty. I'm working on overcoming it.
    Most steps are just "suck it up and get over yourself" but I take time in between to get comfortable with one routine before I take a step outside of my comfort zone. My goal at the moment is to work up the courage to go into the free weights area and lift that scary looking Olympic barbell surrounded by

One step at a time and if all else fails, the mantras "JFDI" and "I don't care what you think" are incredibly handy.
  • lbredhead
    lbredhead Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Every single person in the gym wants to change part of their body. Isn't that why they are there?? Some people look in the mirror and think "I want to lose a little here ... and here ..." -- and others are "I want to bulk up here ... and here ..." But the point, is that everyone using a piece of equipment is looking for self-improvement.

Once you realize that, you are immediately respectful of everyone in the gym, no matter their size.

To be overly-blunt, if you see someone who is 20 pounds or 200 pounds overweight, think to yourself "S/he is here sweating -- not sitting at home in front of the tube devouring a pint of Chunky Monkey."

If you get caught staring a little too long, just give a big welcoming smile.

So hold your head high as you walk in the gym -- and realize that everyone else is there for the same reason as you.

-D

PS ... That phrase also works well when looking in the mirror. :wink: