Drink Your Breakfast

Options
Jumanji9700
Jumanji9700 Posts: 45 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
When I "really" started the weight loss process 6 months ago (*was 250 lbs) , I started with 1 small change (*many more have come over the months).

ALMOST every morning I have a fruit smoothie. This smoothie is nutrient dense so the body doesn't go into starvation mode even if I am not 100% full (*so say'eth some med journal I read back then).

I picked up the recipe from chef Alton Brown. For any who are interested, here is the recipe I follow:

8oz almond or soy milk
8oz acai berry juice
8oz some other "real" juice (I normally use pineapple juice from can)
8oz fresh banana
8oz frozen berries

Add the solids into the blender first, then the liquids. Blend on slow at first until the solids start becoming small then kick to high until basically nothing but liquid.

I know it sounds weird, but this was MY step 1 and does well starting my days off with a healthy kick :) I have more energy and find myself generally less hungry for snacking on the mornings I have these.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Many of us find when we drink something we don't feel like we ate and it leads to overeating.

Also, starvation mode is a myth. Studies actually show that after 14 hours in the fasted state your metabolism actually speeds up and doesn't drop below the normal level until 72 hours in the fasted state.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    4 eggs scrambled and 1/2 grapefruit or sometimes Coach's Oats.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My breakfast lately is from this awesome sandwich machine. English muffin and two whole eggs. Sometimes I add bacon or ham and cheese.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "starvation mode"

LOL

Whatever works, right? Even if for the wrong reasons...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth.

I prefer solid food for breakfast with loads of peanut butter, and I only like my smoothies with alcohol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I rather eat food as drinks never keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.... besides fruits and veggies lose nutrients when you blend it. But I am glad it worked for you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, that's great, but it isn't for me. I'm more of a bacon and eggs kind of guy.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a bacon and eggs kind of guy.

Most Men are...

j/k OP, do what you like...especially if it works.

• tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with chia and flax made with almond milk has always been my go-to breakfast while losing weight. I kind of love it.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies for taste; sadly they just don't keep me full even when I make sure I'm hitting the nutrient checkbox. That's great that it works for you. Everyone should adjust their approach based on their personal preferences and needs!
  • Samina1215
    Samina1215 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. sounds like a good starter or even mid morning snack.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    8oz almond or soy milk
    8oz acai berry juice
    8oz fresh banana
    8oz frozen berries

700 calories; 148g carb, 15g pro, 9g fat, 16g fiber, 98g sugar

My "go to" breakfast...

1 cup 4%fat cottage cheese
    3/4 cup frozen berries

300 calories; 23g carbs, 26g pro, 11g fat, 11g fiber, 13g sugar

Thanks, but no thanks. I will continue to EAT my breakfast.

• PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast due to time constraints. It totally led to overeating at lunch and dinner. Now I throw together a protein shake every morning:
    1 cup 1% milk
    1 cup greek yogurt
    1 scoop of protein powder
    I use unflavored protein powder and get the flavoring from the greek yogurt. I suppose it's not for everyone but this way I can make and eat breakfast in less than 2 minutes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    8oz almond or soy milk
    8oz acai berry juice
    8oz fresh banana
    8oz frozen berries

My "go to" breakfast...

3/4 cup frozen berries

That's what I was thinking...seems awfully high in calories and lowish in protein to keep me full through the morning.

Of course, if it fits into your daily macro/calorie needs and you enjoy it...go for it.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love having smoothies occasionally in the morning. For me it's almond milk, spinach, Greek yogurt, a form of berries and protein powder.

But I limit smoothies and limit the ingredients in them. For example, I wouldn't advocate for pineapple juice or mangoes since they're higher in sugar content than say raspberries.

I was told by a doctor a while ago that it is ok to have a smoothie sometimes, but you want to limit how many you have. It all has to do with insulin levels and your metabolism as well as the breakdown of fiber when you change the composition of the food.

I couldn't find the exact study she (the doctor) linked me to, but another article I find interesting follows: http://www.lanimuelrath.com/diet-nutrition/to-smoothie-or-not-to-smoothie-the-skinny-on-blending-your-fruits-and-greens/

For some people, the smoothie-a-day-keeps-the-fat-pants-away method will work. For others, it's not a viable option. *shrug*
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    I love having smoothies occasionally in the morning. For me it's almond milk, spinach, Greek yogurt, a form of berries and protein powder.

But I limit smoothies and limit the ingredients in them. For example, I wouldn't advocate for pineapple juice or mangoes since they're higher in sugar content than say raspberries.

I was told by a doctor a while ago that it is ok to have a smoothie sometimes, but you want to limit how many you have. It all has to do with insulin levels and your metabolism as well as the breakdown of fiber when you change the composition of the food.

I couldn't find the exact study she (the doctor) linked me to, but another article I find interesting follows: http://www.lanimuelrath.com/diet-nutrition/to-smoothie-or-not-to-smoothie-the-skinny-on-blending-your-fruits-and-greens/

For some people, the smoothie-a-day-keeps-the-fat-pants-away method will work. For others, it's not a viable option. *shrug*

Unless you have a medical condition such as insulin resistance, PCOS or diabetes, you don't have to worry about insulin levels spiking. They self regulate. And if you want to get into the weeds, exercise and protein spikes insulin.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Unless you have a medical condition such as insulin resistance, PCOS or diabetes, you don't have to worry about insulin levels spiking. They self regulate. And if you want to get into the weeds, exercise and protein spikes insulin.

Good points, thanks. I probably should have explained myself a bit better.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    I'm more of a bacon and eggs kind of guy.

Most Men are...

I'm a raw fruit for breakfast kinda guy. Mostly blueberries and blackberries these days, packed with, yknow ... (< wait for it>) ... fruit sugars - fructose!

A fructose molecule is a fructose molecule and there isn't a cell in anyone's body that gives two squats whether it was synthesized in a berry or a corn kernel.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    8oz almond or soy milk
    8oz acai berry juice
    8oz fresh banana
    8oz frozen berries

My "go to" breakfast...

3/4 cup frozen berries

Yeah, drinking 700 calories doesn't sound like fun, nor would it be beneficial for me (I don't even like fruit). I like either no breakfast (just coffee w/ creamer), or actual solid food for breakfast.

I like eggs, veggies, and some sort of bread (tortillas, english muffin, toast). I can do that for around 300-400 calories and be fueled until lunch or morning snack after early workout. If I had the need for 700 calorie breakfast, imma eatin' double eggs, and adding in bacon and avocado to my usual ;)
  • Jumanji9700
    Jumanji9700 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I should clarify: This makes a full blender; I only drink a single glass at a time...