Are there things you don't log?

Options
For instance, I put a little bit of creamer in my tea in the morning, but I don't log it. I also don't log ketchup, hot sauce, and mustard.

Thoughts?

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I log my half & half but not the coffee that it goes into.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have calories I don't log it. I can be a bit lax on ketchup and mustard has no calories. I always log creamer, though, although I use skim milk powder and it also adds to my calcium totals so I have more than one reason to do it.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't log are my cups of tea in the afternoon. But I don't put anything in it. I would log my honey or anything that has calories if I put in it. But then again, I even log my cough drops when I'm sick. Because if I don't hold myself accountable for everything it'll get out of control.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't log the hours I spend standing at my computer or sitting on my butt reading paper reports. I log all food, drink & exercise. If I cheat myself what do I gain?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When I'm logging, which I don't always do... the only thing I don't log are Tums and zero cal drink additives. Otherwise I log it all. Those little things have a tendency to add up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not really. I log gum, life savers, cough medicine, all condiments mayo, ketchup, duck sauce, soy sauce, creamer, stevia. I even log my gummie vitamins.

I also watch sodium so all these are important to me.

This is not being OCD or anything like that, but all these calories matter and they add up fast.. I am almost at my goal so these matter as I do not have wiggle room for extra 100 to 200 calories from these items).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I log everything (including black coffee, water, zero-calorie items, etc.). I'm really close to my goal weight, so my calorie goal to continue losing weight is a lot lower compared to my calorie goal when I first started. As a result, I have a smaller margin of error and need to be consistent in accurately logging everything that goes into my mouth. The items you mentioned above do contain calories, and depending on how much you use per day (especially the creamer and ketchup), those unlogged items could be the calorie difference between losing and maintaining or maintaining and gaining.
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i dont log siracha, but thats about it
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Water and sweetener. And the flavor drops I put in my water. Coffee and tea, although I do log the milk I put in them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee, tea, occasional squirts of milk/cream/lemon juice, vinegar, spices, samples.
    I log stock cubes, soy sauce, condiments, cooking oil and oil in salad dressings.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I quick add 100 calories every morning to account for miniscule calorie amounts in artificial sweeteners, diet soda, vinegar, sugar free gum, etc. It's surely not accurate, one way or the other, but it keeps me from obsessing.

I do log creamer/tea additives, salad dressings, various sauces, and my beloved ketchup (so sorry, so American).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I quick add 100 calories every morning to account for miniscule calorie amounts in artificial sweeteners, diet soda, vinegar, sugar free gum, etc. It's surely not accurate, one way or the other, but it keeps me from obsessing.

Good idea!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't log things that are basically the same daily or weekly and which don't have many calories and which would be a hassle to log. There's no real rhyme or rhythm to this, though, although low calorie taste additives and caffeine are the main themes, I guess. What I end up not logging is garlic (I just don't like to mess with weighing it), coffee/tea (basically the same every day, I drink it black), spices which I toss in as a pinch (including salt), herbs (hassle to measure and not enough to matter), occasionally low calorie vinegar or mustard or sriracha or fish sauce that I use without measuring (although I often do log those), stuff like that.

No strong reason to not log these things and to log some of the things I log, but it works for me.

I don't buy the "you are cheating yourself" argument, because these aren't going to make a difference week to week. If my calories are too high and I'm logging 1725 but they are really 1775, that doesn't much matter, the answer is still to reduce them and none of these things would be what I'd reduce for any significant difference.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee, tea or coke zero. I log everything else.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    For instance, I put a little bit of creamer in my tea in the morning, but I don't log it. I also don't log ketchup, hot sauce, and mustard.

Thoughts?

I don't log water or vitamins. I don't log every lick or taste when I cook.
  • hanzibobs931
    hanzibobs931 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I log everything except water and diet coke or other diet drinks. I log my tea because I have sugar in it but really the only cals in that are the skimmed milk and the sugar. mainly the sugar
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only things I don't log are zero calorie foods and spices (I have no idea how many calories spices have).

I'd definitely log creamer. That tablespoon of milk I put in my tea sometimes is logged (it's 10 calories I think?). Guessing creamer would be more. I also put 30 calories worth of condiments on my burger, for example, so you bet they get logged (one serving of ketchup is 15, one serving of Dijon mustard another 15... it adds up).
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I do this when I add something condiment wise to my foods or drinks. I never put enough to make a tablespoon, barely enough to know it's there, but I'd rather over estimate my calorie intake then underestimate.

I do not log my coffee during the day. I do log salad dressings (Perfectly measured and all!), salsas...etc.

• x7x7x7x
    x7x7x7x Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I log everything except water, spices (it seems pointless to log 1 pinch of ground oregano), and the rare sip of pop. I even log gum and hard candies like Lifesavers. If you have a handful of hard candies, that can be 50+ calories that you're not accounting for.