Are there things you don't log?

Options

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I log everything. even medicine. I have goals that I like to monitor and strive for, paired with a tendency to push the limit. if I don't log "this," what's to keep me from logging "that?"
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't log spices, or water.

I don't eat exercise calories so it's not a big deal if I forget the occasional thing.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I don't log the tea I drink, since I don't add anything to it. I also don't always log butter or ketchup.
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    The only thing I don't log is water - I would love to remember to do this beyond mentally tallying my litres but it's an extra step I often forget!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke. And sometimes water.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I log my half & half but not the coffee that it goes into.

I tend to log the coffee just so the half & half doesn't look silly. If I drink the coffee black, I won't always bother to log it. I'll log the Diet Coke I mix rum into the same way. No rum, no logging.

I don't log the packets of hot sauce I put on my tacos at Taco Bell, either - but I think I should. At any rate, I will seriously consider it if I stop seeing progress in the weight loss.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't log my gum (3 pieces a day, 8.5 calories total), cough drops (never seen nutritional info on any brand), and spices.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm under for the day and I sneak something little, I don't log it. Like, if I had something like 200 cals left and I had a hershey kiss or the last bite of my kid's pizza, I'd still be under. That doesn't happen often though. I usually log everything.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't log water (I drink more than enough), coffee (I drink it black with Torani sugar free syrups - and the amount I drink is consistent day to day), most 0 calorie things unless it has significant sodium (I know most zero calorie things actually contain calories if used in bulk - so when I bake with Splenda or use the I can't believe it's not butter spray, I do the one with calories listed) Also don't really log spices / seasoning when cooking unless sodium is a factor but I use mostly salt free seasoning - if I use the recipe builder, seasoning will make it in there, but just throwing some things together, usually not. Also don't log diet coke other diet sodas, but I don't drink it by the case daily :) just maybe one or 2 cans a day
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Medicine. That's about it.
  • StephJC81
    StephJC81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I log/scan everything that goes into my mouth. The things you don't think have anything in them, usually do. Like ketchup and creamer, for instance, has quite a bit of sugar in it. Don't trick yourself into thinking something has nothing. That's what the scanner is there for. Always be accountable of what you put into your body.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Many things:
    gum
    tea
    diet soda
    drinks of my husband's beer
    a nibble of my kid's food

If it got in the way of my goals, I'd log it. It doesn't, so I don't bother.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I haven't logged in 2 days but after reading all these success post of people near there goals heck I am back to journaling and logging I want to reach my goals too and honest logging does get the weight off.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I log anything with calories. Creamer has plenty of calories and fat and ketchup has lots of calories
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I choose not to log spices, salt, tea, mustard, black coffee, or vitamins.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    nicorette gum.
  • DanielleFloyd08
    DanielleFloyd08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I log everything except the one flavor packet a day that I allow myself for my water. I get so bored of water so I let myself put a flavor packet in once a day.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yes. i don't log coffee or gum. i definitely don't bother with any 0 calorie items. i don't log spices generally, and if my BF puts sauce or something on chicken for din, i don't log that.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'm with lemurcat. I don't log stuff that's pretty consistent and very low-cal. I don't log water, diet soda, black coffee, splenda/sweetener, herbs, spices, mustard, vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, salt, baking powder.

I use a LOT of veggies, so I track green veggies as "a cup of mixed veg" if it's just kale, brocolli, lettuce, celery, cucumber, etc. I can't be bothered weighing out everything that goes into a salad, soup, or stirfry, and besides, I'm always cooking for the whole family anyway and then dividing into portions.

I try to estimate high. I cook fast, without recipes and without measuring cups, so I have 30+ years practice estimating amounts, and measuring that stuff would double my prep time.

I don't track or care about macros or nutrients, only calories, so none of that stuff matters to me.

I DO weigh and track anything high calorie. Butter, margarine, oil, starchy veggies (corn, tomatoes, squash, potatoes), fruit, drinks with sugar, milk/cream, salsa, any fatty or sugary dressing or sauce ... even if it's just a bite, it goes in the log.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I quick add 100 calories every morning to account for miniscule calorie amounts in artificial sweeteners, diet soda, vinegar, sugar free gum, etc. It's surely not accurate, one way or the other, but it keeps me from obsessing.

I do log creamer/tea additives, salad dressings, various sauces, and my beloved ketchup (so sorry, so American).

This is pretty much what I did when I was keeping a food diary. I always found trying to account for every little smidgen of this or dollop of that was just too tedious but I wanted to have some accounting for that stuff.