Going out for Thai food tonight

Options
MrM27
MrM27 Posts: 18,355 Member
Going to eat some Thai food tonight. I'm ashamed to say it but even though I live in NYC I've never bothered to eat Thai food before. I didn't pick the restaurant, a client is taking me there. What do you recommend? I enjoy semi spicy but not to the point where you can't enjoy the food.

I don't do low carb
I don't do low fat
I don't do high sadness in a bowl

I'm looking for good, tasty recommendations. The last word I'm looking for in a suggestion is "healthy".

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Sweet basil chicken. Despite the "sweet" it is nice and spicy!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I recommend sticky rice if they have it. I recommend scowling and frowning if they don't have it.

I love thai curries, in all varieties. Green is usually the spiciest, whereas yellow is usually pretty mild.

Green papaya salad is the BOMB.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Chicken Green Curry with rice (or without), spicy basil noodles (but only 1/2 the portion), any spicy basil combination with chicken or seafood. I'm getting hungry!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tom Yum soup :) and below what jkwolly suggests too.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    SUUUUPER spicy shrimp pad thai! YUUUUM!
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have not tried a dish at a Thai place I did not like. Pad Thai is my favorite, followed by Pad Se-ew. Both are more on the sweet side though you can usually ask for a 'spice plate' and you'll get various spices and oils to add the heat you want.

If they ask you if you want it spicy, ask for medium or 'American' spicy. Otherwise you will be killed by spice.

Thai tea is a must try (VERY sweet though!)

(if I DO want 'healthy' I go for one of the veggie and ginger sauce plates and only get a serving spoon of rice... because the other dishes contain a *serious* huge amount of noodles that I don't always feel like eating. Still plenty flavorful)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Fack now I want pad thai sew bad :s
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Beef satay with peanut dipping sauce.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you want something awesome that has basically no calories, pork larb. It's a cold spicy (flavor spicy even if you ask for low heat) minced pork (can be chicken too at some places) salad type dish it's yum yum.

If you like creamy - Tom Kha soup is my favorite Thai dish, it's a broth and coconut milk soup with veggies and it's the ultimate comfort food. Tom yum soup is Tom kha without the coconut milk.
    -
    I love curries - yeah the different red/green/etc curries do have different flavors, but they're all yummy and similar enough. So choose based on the veggies - some will have potato and carrots, some basil and peppers, etc.

But also if it's a nice place with a good chef, don't be afraid to try their house specials. Thai food is basically all freaking delicious.

They'll usually ask you how hot on a scale of 1-10. Stay under 5.

**I had Thai last night, now thanks to you I will probably have it again tonight.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have not tried a dish at a Thai place I did not like. Pad Thai is my favorite, followed by Pad Se-ew. Both are more on the sweet side though you can usually ask for a 'spice plate' and you'll get various spices and oils to add the heat you want.

If they ask you if you want it spicy, ask for medium or 'American' spicy. Otherwise you will be killed by spice.

Thai tea is a must try (VERY sweet though!)

FIFY

Haha, fair enough, though I'm just saying there's stuff other than noodle dishes that have lots of flavor. Really, if you just close your eyes and point it's guaranteed to be good!

Some places have a 'red' rice that is super-complex in flavor. I can't remember what it's called but it adds... 'something' to all of the flavors in Thai dishes. If you go for a rice plate (anything that's not a noodle plate usually has rice), see if they have that.

(lol, I ate Thai last night and now I may need to have it again XD )
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

But the real question is.......is that really you in your avatar or is it your online persona?

We both love satay with peanut sauce!

Or do we?? o:)
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Oh and it's traditional to eat Thai food family style. So unless you're with a bunch of people who are squirmy about sharing, you should have the opportunity to try a lot of different things.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    sticky rice with peanut sauce always my fav. High Carb, High fat and addictive. I won't suggest beef with broccoli because it sounds too sensible
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    In Curry (you can ask them to make medium spicy)
    1) Panang
    2) Pad Prik King

In Noodles (Hands Down)
    1) Drunken Noodles
    2) Pad See Ew
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

But the real question is.......is that really you in your avatar or is it your online persona?

:p:p:p
    You guys should become friends. It's about time.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Nice menu, but no sticky rice!!

Note: the base to thai curries is frequently coconut milk, making them delicious and calorie dense.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Oh if you have a yen to order the crispy whole fish - do it. It sounds like something pretentious for westerners to order but it's AMAZING. I don't even like fish that much and I will pick one of those carcasses clean.