Potassium

2»

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Most Americans are low on Potassium, and it's frustrating because most multi-vitamins or vitamin fortified foods don't include it.

Here is a list of Potassium rich foods. http://www.drugs.com/cg/potassium-content-of-foods-list.html

Also, for a potential win-win, replace your table salt (Sodium chloride) with a Sodium-free salt substitute (Potassium chloride), which tastes exactly the same.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Archon2 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Okay now I know I am over tired. I read this like 4 times and honestly thought it said possum. I was like wtf?!? Why would you care if your diet lacked possum lol.

So, I looked this up. Yes, the Internet is useful indeed.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lamb-veal-and-game-products/4645/2#

"Game meat, opossum, cooked, roasted"

According to the nutrition facts sheet, the mineral profile of 3oz. cooked Opossum meat:

Minerals
    Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
    Calcium14.5mg 1%
    Iron3.9mg 22%
    Magnesium28.9mg 7%
    Phosphorus236mg 24%
    Potassium372mg 11%
    Sodium49.3 mg2%
    Zinc1.9mg 13%
    Copper0.2mg 8%
    Manganese~ ~
    Selenium15.5mcg 22%
    Fluoride~

Looks like the amount of Potassium in only 3oz. of Possum meat is pretty darn high. I'd say it is a worthwhile protein source with a nice bonus for Potassium levels indeed.

Blaugh. No thank you. I draw the line at roadkill lol.

So I take it you won't eat roadkill like they did in The Waterboy?

Nope lol. I'd rather starve that eat roadkill.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    So, where do I find Possum meat? :D I don't have a car so I can't run one over.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    So, where do I find Possum meat? :D I don't have a car so I can't run one over.

Usually, out in the woods at night. If you feed your pets outside, you may find one near their feed bowl. I would suggest using a rifle rather than a car.