Atkins diet success stories?

So I'm trying out a low carb diet along with my regular exercise and I thought I'd give Atkins a try. I'm a type O blood type and that requires more protein and less carbs so I thought Atkins would be perfect. I've barely just started about a week ago and I'm into my second week. I've lost about 4 lbs since I started that diet in addition to my already 5 lbs loss. I wanted to hear some success stories or if anyone else was trying this diet and how it was working out for u. Am I wasting my time or does this diet really work? I'm excited to hear your thoughts and please feel free to add me as a friend on MFP. Thanks!

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I did Atkins in the mid-90s - lost 35 pounds and had excellent labs (cholesterol, triglycerides). I moved to what I called "modified Atkins" where I added carbs up to probably 60g a day. Slowly I gained all the weight back -- over probably 6 years. Tried Atkins a second time and just couldn't tolerate it - I felt like I had been run over by a truck.

20 years later, I am doing the only tried and true diet there is. It's called "Don't Eat So Damn Much" lol.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    You're wasting your time. The only proven way for you to lose weight in a healthy and controllable way is to eat within a caloric deficit; throwing in some kind of cardio or weightlifting regime won't hurt either.

Also... Since when did your blood type affect what type of macronutrients you should consume? Is that a thing?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I did low carb versions - 3 times - lost weight, 3 times, put weight back on and more 3 times

I am not capable of sticking to low carb for life - if you are then great, that's your way out

But you know it's about calorie defecit, if you want to low carb during it fine .. but calorie defecit works

(PS Blood type diets .. nope!)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I tried two types of low carb diets, both Atkins and paleo. Couldn't stick to them in a sustained way for the long haul. Bear in mind that I ate that way for five years. I lost weight to a point, but I bought the whole line that eating that way was sufficient to lose weight. Wellllllll, it's not. It's only sufficient to the point that cutting one food group creates a caloric deficit. I was only creating so much of a deficit and didn't see that great of a loss. At least not enough to motivate me.

I also would feel like I failed any time I got sick, because all my body wanted then were carbs. Things like toast and soup with noodles.

I've gradually settled into a moderate carb way of eating. I eat 100-150g of carbs a day. This is mostly something I've come to because of foods that I can't eat (celiac disease) vs. foods that I like vs. foods that just aren't worth the calories to me vs. foods that just make me feel good (lots of protein). That was almost the last piece of the puzzle. The last piece? Learning to count calories. It all comes down to that.

Find a way of eating you can sustain for life. Find a diet full of foods you enjoy, then find out how many calories you need to consume to lose weight. Then fit those foods into your calorie limit, and you'll succeed and feel satisfied.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    defmut3 wrote: »
    You're wasting your time. The only proven way for you to lose weight in a healthy and controllable way is to eat within a caloric deficit; throwing in some kind of cardio or weightlifting regime won't hurt either.

Also... Since when did your blood type affect what type of macronutrients you should consume? Is that a thing?

THIS.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    edited January 2015
    If you google you'll find an absolute ton of success stories.

Ketosis works for a lot of people because it curbs hunger, which means people may find it easier to reduce their calorie intake. It does upset me when people brush any modified way of eating just to say "OH NOTHING AT ALL WORKS OTHER THAN ENGERY IN vs ENERGY OUT" - obviously, but there are some people who find this easier with modified eating habits so get off your stool for a minute. ("you're wasting your time" no it's absoultely not a waste of someone's time to experiment to see what works for them)

A low carbohydrate diet to the point of ketosis certainly works for reducing appetite & for some people increased overall health for people who can sustain this style of eating, everyone has their own preferences & what feels best for them.

I personally find it easier to sustain a deficit using a ketogenic diet & I have less migraines & less relapses with ED. So absolutely it can be successful. 115lbs down at this time. So give it a go absolutely, and if you find it's too difficult to sustain it doesn't mean you failed at it, it just means it may not be suitable for you.

----

Also, on blood types; that's not a thing x
  • Sued0nim
    Lots of stuff works in the short term .. but long term, for the rest of your life? That's a difficult path to tread .. but good luck if it's something you can stick with until you die, it's not for me
  • PeachyCarol
    CloudyMao wrote: »

Ketosis works for a lot of people because it curbs hunger, which means people may find it easier to reduce their calorie intake. It does upset me when people brush any modified way of eating just to say "OH NOTHING AT ALL WORKS OTHER THAN ENGERY IN vs ENERGY OUT" - obviously, but there are some people who find this easier with modified eating habits so get off your stool for a minute. ("you're wasting your time" no it's absoultely not a waste of someone's time to experiment to see what works for them)

A low carbohydrate diet to the point of ketosis certainly works for reducing appetite & for some people increased overall health for people who can sustain this style of eating, everyone has their own preferences & what feels best for them.

I personally find it easier to sustain a deficit using a ketogenic diet & I have less migraines & less relapses with ED. So absolutely it can be successful. 115lbs down at this time. So give it a go absolutely, and if you find it's too difficult to sustain it doesn't mean you failed at it, it just means it may not be suitable for you.

----

It "worked" for me.

For five years. I low carbed through a pregnancy and breastfeeding even! (Not ketosis, but still low carb.)

Could not keep living that way forever.

There are some advantages age gives you, and that's experience and perspective.

Here's a question for you.

You recommended that she try it, and if it's difficult to sustain, it doesn't mean she failed, it means it's not suitable for her. Well, the problem with that is that she'll gain weight. What would be the point?

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    hlo9603 wrote: »
    So I'm trying out a low carb diet along with my regular exercise and I thought I'd give Atkins a try. I'm a type O blood type and that requires more protein and less carbs so I thought Atkins would be perfect. I've barely just started about a week ago and I'm into my second week. I've lost about 4 lbs since I started that diet in addition to my already 5 lbs loss. I wanted to hear some success stories or if anyone else was trying this diet and how it was working out for u. Am I wasting my time or does this diet really work? I'm excited to hear your thoughts and please feel free to add me as a friend on MFP. Thanks!

What does your blood type have to do with weightloss?!? Who ever told you that has no idea what they are talking about.

• CloudyMao
    edited January 2015

----

It "worked" for me.

For five years. I low carbed through a pregnancy and breastfeeding even! (Not ketosis, but still low carb.)

You recommended that she try it, and if it's difficult to sustain, it doesn't mean she failed, it means it's not suitable for her. Well, the problem with that is that she'll gain weight. What would be the point?

Weight is a matter only of energy in vs energy out, dietary changes do not effect that - only the amount of consumption effects that, going low carb or high carb in itself does not have an effect on weight loss/gain (disregarding water weight)

What I'm saying is: for some people having a low consumption of carbohydrate makes it easier for them to maintain a calorie deficit, for others it is too restrictive to maintain. Both styles of diet still make it possible to maintain a calorie deficit. - trying low carb & then stopping doesn't = weight gain.
  • Sued0nim

----

It "worked" for me.

Weight is a matter only of energy in vs energy out, dietary changes do not effect that - only the amount of consumption effects that, going low carb or high carb in itself does not have an effect on weight loss/gain (disregarding water weight)

Oh but it does - immediate gain in water weight, plus no learning curve to managing carbs healthily within your diet means unless it's immediately replaced with another strict form of limiting calories huge rebound

anecdotally for me as an individual and looking back over the last 15-20 years, low-carb was my biggest dieting mistake .. quick weight loss, felt easy at the beginning but each time I lost control (because it is is about control) and rebounded much worse and much faster than I ever did with any other (long-term unsuccesful) diet plan including weightwatchers, slimming world etc ... no learning curve, no long-term plan
  • PeachyCarol

----

It "worked" for me.

Fair enough, and I have to hand it to you... I am saying this without sarcasm. It's refreshing to come across a low-carber who also embraces CICO. There are too many who think it's magic.

• Sued0nim

----

It "worked" for me.

Fair enough, and I have to hand it to you... I am saying this without sarcasm. It's refreshing to come across a low-carber who also embraces CICO. There are too many who think it's magic.

Maybe that's the difference, maybe if I'd CICO whilst low-carb I'd have had something to fall back on when my control burst
  • CloudyMao
    rabbitjb wrote: »

----

It "worked" for me.

Oh but it does - immediate gain in water weight, plus no learning curve to managing carbs healthily within your diet means unless it's immediately replaced with another strict form of limiting calories huge rebound

anecdotally for me as an individual and looking back over the last 15-20 years, low-carb was my biggest dieting mistake .. quick weight loss, felt easy at the beginning but each time I lost control (because it is is about control) and rebounded much worse and much faster than I ever did with any other (long-term unsuccesful) diet plan including weightwatchers, slimming world etc ... no learning curve, no long-term plan

I literally said disregarding water weight.

This can be true when it comes to a lack of understanding or control with our weights, especially with the added frustration, but this is a good reason why we (as a health community on here) shouldn't shoot people down when they ask questions about different styles of eating. It is good for people to try different dietary styles if what they currently have is not working for them, as long as they understand the basics of what actually causes weight gain & loss it wont lead to a poor relationship with specific types of food/diets.

I don't really get your point however, are you saying that trying but failing to maintain a long-term low carbohydrate diet inherently means there is no learning curve? I will assume anyone who is going to make a dietary change on here has a long term goal for it - or is asking about it to learn more about it...
  • CloudyMao

----

It "worked" for me.

I just got my quals in nutrition & I'm a health worker. I only use low carb for myself because of how it makes me feel; i'm under no delusions that if I were to eat 3000kcal of butter erryday that i'd get all skinny.

Nah I like to push that the two are completely seperate - because of this magic low carb group +_+ You get people who are like "just count carbs, you will lose weight" and it sets people up to fail from the start, it's no good.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    the science of atkins has been dis proven by an indirect way by a using metabolic chamber analysis between regular caloric watching and so called low carbing. There is validity to kitosis but it's not a lifestyle you can live, most people can't stay on it. Body builders call it cutting and it's been done for years.

What they found was that even though you can eat fat all day long your body will start rejecting it, that is where you get your caloric deficit actually comes from. Fat and protein brings a natural cessation to hunger.

To swing the other way around Modern carbs have been exciled by "wheat belly" thinking. There is only one doctor saying that this is a real problem and it seems to be curing a lot of illinesses, not just weight. Sound familiar?

I would agree we have too much caloric food around (thank you modern society) but there is going to require a heighten sense of understading of what food does to your body.

• CloudyMao

----

It "worked" for me.

Maybe that's the difference, maybe if I'd CICO whilst low-carb I'd have had something to fall back on when my control burst

Sounds like you've had a really tough time of it :neutral_face:
  • CloudyMao
    edited January 2015
    This was supposed to be an edit, not a repost- disregard.
  • PeachyCarol

----

It "worked" for me.

I never had control burst, but I never lost weight past a certain point and was deeply frustrated by it. And I read Atkins book. The book sort of promotes the idea that eating that way will magically make it all happen for you without CICO.

• CloudyMao
    snowy0wl wrote: »
    the science of atkins has been dis proven by an indirect way by a using metabolic chamber analysis between regular caloric watching and so called low carbing. There is validity to kitosis but it's not a lifestyle you can live, most people can't stay on it. Body builders call it cutting and it's been done for years.

What they found was that even though you can eat fat all day long your body will start rejecting it, that is where you get your caloric deficit actually comes from. Fat and protein brings a natural cessation to hunger.

To swing the other way around Modern carbs have been exciled by "wheat belly" thinking. There is only one doctor saying that this is a real problem and it seems to be curing a lot of illinesses, not just weight. Sound familiar?

I would agree we have too much caloric food around (thank you modern society) but there is going to require a heighten sense of understading of what food does to your body.

Lmfao. oh christ. Source, i'd love to see it. Your body starts rejecting dietary fat. Oh my word. No please, your sauce. ketosis* Calorie deficit comes from a calorie deficit.