Atkins diet success stories?

Replies

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    If you google you'll find an absolute ton of success stories.

Ketosis works for a lot of people because it curbs hunger, which means people may find it easier to reduce their calorie intake. It does upset me when people brush any modified way of eating just to say "OH NOTHING AT ALL WORKS OTHER THAN ENGERY IN vs ENERGY OUT" - obviously, but there are some people who find this easier with modified eating habits so get off your stool for a minute. ("you're wasting your time" no it's absoultely not a waste of someone's time to experiment to see what works for them)

A low carbohydrate diet to the point of ketosis certainly works for reducing appetite & for some people increased overall health for people who can sustain this style of eating, everyone has their own preferences & what feels best for them.

I personally find it easier to sustain a deficit using a ketogenic diet & I have less migraines & less relapses with ED. So absolutely it can be successful. 115lbs down at this time. So give it a go absolutely, and if you find it's too difficult to sustain it doesn't mean you failed at it, it just means it may not be suitable for you.

----

Also, on blood types; that's not a thing x

It "worked" for me.

For five years. I low carbed through a pregnancy and breastfeeding even! (Not ketosis, but still low carb.)

Could not keep living that way forever.

There are some advantages age gives you, and that's experience and perspective.

Here's a question for you.

You recommended that she try it, and if it's difficult to sustain, it doesn't mean she failed, it means it's not suitable for her. Well, the problem with that is that she'll gain weight. What would be the point?

Weight is a matter only of energy in vs energy out, dietary changes do not effect that - only the amount of consumption effects that, going low carb or high carb in itself does not have an effect on weight loss/gain (disregarding water weight)

Fair enough, and I have to hand it to you... I am saying this without sarcasm. It's refreshing to come across a low-carber who also embraces CICO. There are too many who think it's magic.

Maybe that's the difference, maybe if I'd CICO whilst low-carb I'd have had something to fall back on when my control burst

I never had control burst, but I never lost weight past a certain point and was deeply frustrated by it. And I read Atkins book. The book sort of promotes the idea that eating that way will magically make it all happen for you without CICO.

I find it's much healthier to push dietary ketosis rather than "atkins" I personally feel atkins is just a money push, all the bars and shakes they have, it's just a low carber's slim fast.
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    maxit wrote: »
    I did Atkins in the mid-90s - lost 35 pounds and had excellent labs (cholesterol, triglycerides). I moved to what I called "modified Atkins" where I added carbs up to probably 60g a day. Slowly I gained all the weight back -- over probably 6 years. Tried Atkins a second time and just couldn't tolerate it - I felt like I had been run over by a truck.

20 years later, I am doing the only tried and true diet there is. It's called "Don't Eat So Damn Much" lol.

Pretty much mirrors my own experience. First did the Atkins in 2002 and lost around 50 pounds, but as others have noted slowly put it back on again. Second and third attempts just didn't work out - which was a shame because I actually loved the high protein diet.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Ketosis works for a lot of people because it curbs hunger, which means people may find it easier to reduce their calorie intake. It does upset me when people brush any modified way of eating just to say "OH NOTHING AT ALL WORKS OTHER THAN ENGERY IN vs ENERGY OUT" - obviously, but there are some people who find this easier with modified eating habits so get off your stool for a minute. ("you're wasting your time" no it's absoultely not a waste of someone's time to experiment to see what works for them)

A low carbohydrate diet to the point of ketosis certainly works for reducing appetite & for some people increased overall health for people who can sustain this style of eating, everyone has their own preferences & what feels best for them.

I personally find it easier to sustain a deficit using a ketogenic diet & I have less migraines & less relapses with ED. So absolutely it can be successful. 115lbs down at this time. So give it a go absolutely, and if you find it's too difficult to sustain it doesn't mean you failed at it, it just means it may not be suitable for you.

----

It "worked" for me.

For five years. I low carbed through a pregnancy and breastfeeding even! (Not ketosis, but still low carb.)

You recommended that she try it, and if it's difficult to sustain, it doesn't mean she failed, it means it's not suitable for her. Well, the problem with that is that she'll gain weight. What would be the point?

Weight is a matter only of energy in vs energy out, dietary changes do not effect that - only the amount of consumption effects that, going low carb or high carb in itself does not have an effect on weight loss/gain (disregarding water weight)

Fair enough, and I have to hand it to you... I am saying this without sarcasm. It's refreshing to come across a low-carber who also embraces CICO. There are too many who think it's magic.

Maybe that's the difference, maybe if I'd CICO whilst low-carb I'd have had something to fall back on when my control burst

I never had control burst, but I never lost weight past a certain point and was deeply frustrated by it. And I read Atkins book. The book sort of promotes the idea that eating that way will magically make it all happen for you without CICO.

I find it's much healthier to push dietary ketosis rather than "atkins" I personally feel atkins is just a money push, all the bars and shakes they have, it's just a low carber's slim fast.

I'm old enough that I was doing Atkins before all that stuff was on the market :smile:

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

----

It "worked" for me.

Sounds like you've had a really tough time of it :neutral_face:

God no, I was overweight not obese and relatively happy

I'm just shocked at how easy I've found throwing out all the noise, and rules and fads, and focusing on simply calories in and calories out .. because of the lack of excluding any food / food group I actually believe this is me for life - this is the longest I've stuck to any lifestyle change / first time I've not considered it a 'diet' and it's been 8 months, 44lbs and I'm still happy with it, still slowly losing, still gradually getting stronger and fitter and more fabulous :wink:

less of a tough time in the past and more of a huge revelation in the present
  • CloudyMao

----

It "worked" for me.

I'm old enough that I was doing Atkins before all that stuff was on the market :smile:

I was brought up thinking that to lose weight you needed to replace food with this kindof crap. All the way up until I went to college, there is seriously poor nutritional health education, at least here in the UK.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Blood type diets is the latest con doing that rounds that those desperate for some sort of magic answer are clinging onto. Someone is getting paid big money for peddling that BS, they should be jailed.

If anyone wants to go low carb and feels it works for them, then go for it. But it isn't necessary, carbs can fuel your weight loss if eaten at an appropriate amount. If you exercise regularly, you'll either love carbs, or you'll miss them like crazy if you're avoiding them. The take home point should be, the human body is not a mystery that requires innovative new ways to get it to work for us. The answers are already there and have been for as long as we've existed. You don't need a diet that has a brand name, just do what people had previously been doing long before this became a craze - eating what they needed to eat.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member

Lmfao. oh christ. Source, i'd love to see it. Your body starts rejecting dietary fat. Oh my word. No please, your sauce. ketosis* Calorie deficit comes from a calorie deficit.

I didn't mean to say that you can live of fat, it's a mix of fat and protein that matters. As for the source I wish I remembered where I saw it. I'm pretty sure it was a prim-time tv show that was being shown on youtube illegally.

They have had simular results when they had an open store were people were free to buy what they wanted based on there meal plan. and it reflected the same outcome.

It is all about caloric deficit and your own particular metabolism. I'm just saying there are many ways to get there.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited January 2015
    Millions of people have success in losing and maintaining weight loss on low carb diets. Millions of people fail.

Just like millions have success calorie counting and eating in moderation and millions fail.

You've just got to find what works for you. The diet is healthy and a great tool for eating in a calorie deficit. Give it a go - if it doesn't work it work, you may find it does.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Why not just eat at a deficit?
  • CloudyMao

----

It "worked" for me.

Sounds like you've had a really tough time of it :neutral_face:

God no, I was overweight not obese and relatively happy

I'm just shocked at how easy I've found throwing out all the noise, and rules and fads, and focusing on simply calories in and calories out .. because of the lack of excluding any food / food group I actually believe this is me for life - this is the longest I've stuck to any lifestyle change / first time I've not considered it a 'diet' and it's been 8 months, 44lbs and I'm still happy with it, still slowly losing, still gradually getting stronger and fitter and more fabulous :wink:

less of a tough time in the past and more of a huge revelation in the present

Awesome! :D
  • CloudyMao
    edited January 2015
    snowy0wl wrote: »

Lmfao. oh christ. Source, i'd love to see it. Your body starts rejecting dietary fat. Oh my word. No please, your sauce. ketosis* Calorie deficit comes from a calorie deficit.

I didn't mean to say that you can live of fat, it's a mix of fat and protein that matters. As for the source I wish I remembered where I saw it. I'm pretty sure it was a prim-time tv show that was being shown on youtube illegally.

They have had simular results when they had an open store were people were free to buy what they wanted based on there meal plan. and it reflected the same outcome.

It is all about caloric deficit and your own particular metabolism. I'm just saying there are many ways to get there.

nah, I don;t want to/am not trying to be condecending - I re-read this and it sounds a little, so thought i'd better say.

Ketosis works on the principle that fat is your secondary source of energy, if bodies started rejecting dietary fat people doing low carb would literally starve...

Calorie deficits are achieved by eating less of them than is burned on a daily basis, not because of hormonal responses or any other body magic. Your source for this is bogus, seriously. I get what you're saying, you're saying not to rely on a dietary style & that maintaining a calorie deficit leads to weight loss - all true. The other stuff though, it just doesn't hold water.

-

ETA: I should add that ketosis can lead to a decrease in appetite because of certain hormonal effects, like the suppression of ghrelin.
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    All of you who did Atkins, lost the weight, then put it back on didn't do Atkins correctly. You are supposed to gradually add carbs back into the diet and find your sweet spot. Once you end Atkins completely yes, you will put all the weight back on. It's all about insulin.
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    defmut3 wrote: »
    You're wasting your time. The only proven way for you to lose weight in a healthy and controllable way is to eat within a caloric deficit; throwing in some kind of cardio or weightlifting regime won't hurt either.

Also... Since when did your blood type affect what type of macronutrients you should consume? Is that a thing?

Yes it is. Trying looking up your blood type and what types of food your body needs. It is a thing.
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    I'm not talking about a blood type diet for
    Weight loss. That's just stupid but there are certain food that different blood types require more of to stay healthy. That is what I meant. No need to go into whether or not there is a real diet for blood types.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    I say try it and see how it works for you. You might want to come over to the Low Carb group, as well.
  • PeachyCarol
    All of you who did Atkins, lost the weight, then put it back on didn't do Atkins correctly. You are supposed to gradually add carbs back into the diet and find your sweet spot. Once you end Atkins completely yes, you will put all the weight back on. It's all about insulin.

Sigh. It's not about insulin. It's about calories. Atkins doesn't stress that enough. In fact, I never "ended" Atkins, I switched to paleo because I only lost so much weight on Atkins. You know what? I only lost so much weight on that too. Then I went back to Atkins. Then I gave up and started eating yogurt again because I missed it. Just plain yogurt with berries, nothing with sugar.

I gained weight.

Why?

I was eating more calories. I didn't cut back the rest of my food.

• PeachyCarol
    hlo9603 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about a blood type diet for
    Weight loss. That's just stupid but there are certain food that different blood types require more of to stay healthy. That is what I meant. No need to go into whether or not there is a real diet for blood types.

I know there's a book for that and everything, but it's really all nonsense.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    You're wasting your time. The only proven way for you to lose weight in a healthy and controllable way is to eat within a caloric deficit; throwing in some kind of cardio or weightlifting regime won't hurt either.

Also... Since when did your blood type affect what type of macronutrients you should consume? Is that a thing?

Yes it is. Trying looking up your blood type and what types of food your body needs. It is a thing.

Yes, it's a thing.

A thing designed by some kook who figured he could write a book and dupe a bunch of people into buying it.

It's NOT a scientific thing though.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member

The big thing with any diet is that if you go back to what you were were doing before you started you're going to end up in the same place you were. If you go back to sedentary + 500g of carbs per day then guess what?

The blood type stuff is just hogwash.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015

"Based on the data of 1,455 study participants, we found no evidence to support the 'blood-type' diet theory," said the senior author of the study, Dr. Ahmed El-Sohemy, Associate Professor and Canada Research Chair in Nutrigenomics at the U of T.

"The way an individual responds to any one of these diets has absolutely nothing to do with their blood type and has everything to do with their ability to stick to a sensible vegetarian or low-carbohydrate diet," said El-Sohemy.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140115172246.htm

Edit: For another strand of blood type woo, click here