So exercise isn't needed to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It's not, but you'll be flabby.

LOLNope.

So, no exercise while dieting will make someone toned and fit?

I think a good term is skinny fat.

Logic much?

Please don't be evasive and clarify. ;) I truly don't get where you are coming from with your reply to Jennifer.
  • jshuflin
    Options
    Retaining lean muscle while cutting calories is super important. A clinically proven way to do that is to include Luceine (a branch chain amino acid) in your diet. The Shaklee 180 meal replacement products are formulated with Luceine and there may be others...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    From college to age 26 you gained 140 pounds? So you've nearly doubled your weight in less than 5 years?

Have you checked in with your doctor to make sure that you don't have medical issues that are contributing to the gain?

I have and am currently checking with my dr because I honestly don't understand it either. I gain SO fast and it's like I can't lose weight no matter wat. I've had my thyroid checked and everything came back normal. I just had all this blood work done. Everything came back normal and I stopped taking my bc this month to see if that was a factor. I can literally gain 50lbs in a year. This is very depressing but im working harder than ever to lose this weight. I go back to my dr next week to discuss my results.

And I'm really not sure how many steps I average bc I work a desk job and when I do get up I don't always have my phone on me but when I go to the gym I average over 10,000 steps bc my phone is on me there.

I'm glad that you are looking into this. It sounds like something could be amiss. Thyroid is only one small part of metabolism. If you don't get answers with your current doctor, you might want to consider seeing an endocrinologist. It's really unusual for someone so young to gain so fast.

I gained 100 pounds after my pituitary failed. It took me several years and a lot of fighting to get a diagnosis and some treatment. Tracking well and being able to show your doctor what you are really eating and doing in terms of exercise can be very helpful.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think how much exercise factors in depends on the person. I really cannot eat under 1200/day without feeling horrible. Yet I can NET under 1200/day, by exercising and eating more, and feel fine. I have always gained weight whenever I've been injured and unable to work out (or lazy and just not working out, let's keep it real). So I think it really depends on how much you are able to restrict your eating, whether you 'need' exercise or not.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    As someone who has lost huge amounts of weight (50kgs nearly I don't know what that is in pounds) and still has a good way to go, I can only say to you that you NEE(D to find something that you love. Its just like romance, it only works with what is perfect for you. For me it is boxing. I box 2 hours a day, every day apart from Saturday (rest day) and Sunday where I tend to do 5 hours of boxing a day.

I adore it, I can't wait to get better at it, I've gone from wanting to 'look good in a dress' to wanting to fight properly, it is SO important to me.

When you find that thing that you love (and just like dating have a great time looking ;) testing out new things that you might like, have little romances with them ad then move on but eventually you will find that sport or activity that you LOVE and that will inspire and guide you.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yes...when you find an exercise that you love, it will give you more energy and make you feel happy!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Regarding weight loss, I like cardio because a) it cuts my appetite a bit - I tend to eat less on cardio days, weirdly - and b) it burns calories so I can eat more if I want - less deprivation.

Plus it helps with heart health (obviously), mood, and energy, and it's thought to be protective against dementia.
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    From college to age 26 you gained 140 pounds? So you've nearly doubled your weight in less than 5 years?

Have you checked in with your doctor to make sure that you don't have medical issues that are contributing to the gain?

I have and am currently checking with my dr because I honestly don't understand it either. I gain SO fast and it's like I can't lose weight no matter wat. I've had my thyroid checked and everything came back normal. I just had all this blood work done. Everything came back normal and I stopped taking my bc this month to see if that was a factor. I can literally gain 50lbs in a year. This is very depressing but im working harder than ever to lose this weight. I go back to my dr next week to discuss my results.

And I'm really not sure how many steps I average bc I work a desk job and when I do get up I don't always have my phone on me but when I go to the gym I average over 10,000 steps bc my phone is on me there.

I'm glad that you are looking into this. It sounds like something could be amiss. Thyroid is only one small part of metabolism. If you don't get answers with your current doctor, you might want to consider seeing an endocrinologist. It's really unusual for someone so young to gain so fast.

I gained 100 pounds after my pituitary failed. It took me several years and a lot of fighting to get a diagnosis and some treatment. Tracking well and being able to show your doctor what you are really eating and doing in terms of exercise can be very helpful.

Thanks I'm definitely gonna stay persistent with this.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

LOLNope.

Logic much?

Please don't be evasive and clarify. ;) I truly don't get where you are coming from with your reply to Jennifer.

O ... K ....

If I mention these phrases: "rules of inference" "first order predicate logic" or maybe even something as fundamental as "modus ponens" ... do they mean anything to you?

The key phrase in this discourse is "logical fallacy". More specifically: the "contrapositive of the conditional" is being misunderstood in the most naive and classic sense in which the subject demonstrates zero knowledge of the subject of logic.

Hence, the tongue-in-cheek question as presented: "Logic much?"

But that doesn't really help you, does it, right?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

LOLNope.

Logic much?

O ... K ....

If I mention these phrases: "rules of inference" "first order predicate logic" or maybe even something as fundamental as "modus ponens" ... do they mean anything to you?

The key phrase in this discourse is "logical fallacy". More specifically: the "contrapositive of the conditional" is being misunderstood in the most naive and classic sense in which the subject demonstrates zero knowledge of the subject of logic.

Hence, the tongue-in-cheek question as presented: "Logic much?"

But that doesn't really help you, does it, right?

Never mind, I got it...after I posted and didn't have time to edit. :smile:

Stop using such big language. :smiley:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I'm just here trying to help, not to play one upsmanship games with people who are self styled experts, quoting blocks from others with "no" "nope" "blah blah." Good lord. I'm available to be friended for those who'd like support. There's only so much I can do on the boards before the trolls start. *throws hands in air*
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Have they checked you for PCOS?
  • ashley92188
    Options
    smr09012 wrote: »

Have they checked you for PCOS?

We did talk about pcos at my last appt and will discuss again this coming Wednesday when I go back. I really think that may be it after researching it. I have all the symptoms.
  • ashley92188
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everybody! I'm sorry I should've added that I'm 5"11 290lbs. Right now I'm doin strictly cardio at the gym. Treadmill for 40mins at speeds of 3-3.5 then I get on this exercise bike for 36mins. I'm measuring my calories burned with my polar hrm which always tells me after those 2 workouts I've burned no less than 800cals-1000cals but my goal is atleast 700 bc I'd like to burn 3500 a week since I've been told 3500 burned is 1lb. Mind u I just got back into the gym maybe a week or 2 ago.
    So it looks like I should be using the strength machines as well and stop being afraid to eat lol and eat my calories back or atleast some of them? I guess it's harder for me to consume them now bc I'm drinking water all day which is filling and I'm also eating more frequently throughout the day to keep my metabolism going. Eating small healthy meals every 2-3 hours as opposed to 2-3 big unhealthy meals that more than likely got me this way in the first place. I just started using my food scale and mfp. I may be off with measurements on a few items but for the most part I guess it's pretty accurate. Mfp also measures my daily steps atleast when I have my phone in hand which adds more calories burned daily.
    My first concern is getting back down to a healthy weight but I do want to look good when I get there. I wasn't always this big. I used to be about 150 in hs then in college is when I was 160-170 then idk I started gaining gaining and gaining all while in denial never thinking I'd ever hit 300lbs but here I am. My eating habits never changed nor did my exercise level which has always been pretty much non existent but I guess my metabolism did n that's y I'm the way I am now. The weight gain happened over a period of about 5-6 years started in about 2009. And now I'm ready to get back in shape. I'm 26 and this isn't good nor is it healthy. I wanna be able to run and jump again and just be active so I kno the gym will definitely help get me back into shape. I just have to get to the point where I enjoy going.

Hey there, I have similar stats to you. I'm also 5'11" and currently at 280 (started at 299). It sounds like I don't work out quite as much as you, but I do work out usually 4-5 days a week, around 30-45 minutes each time. My total calorie intake is usually around 1900-2000, but my NET (after factoring calories burned during exercise) usually comes to around 1600, which is the goal MFP gave me for losing 2lbs per week. If you're only eating 1600 TOTAL, you can definitely eat more and still lose weight! I've been consistently losing approx. 2lbs per week. Feel free to friend me if you want, since we have similar stats and sounds like we also have similar goals! Always love finding new tall girl friends :) Good luck to you!

It won't let me add u. Add me.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Y'know, I'm just here trying to help, not to play one upsmanship games with people who are self styled experts, quoting blocks from others with "no" "nope" "blah blah." Good lord. I'm available to be friended for those who'd like support. There's only so much I can do on the boards before the trolls start. *throws hands in air*

4225-zang.jpg

• olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    OP: I am 5'9" and started at 251lbs a year ago. I'm currently at 210 (plateaued for 6 months, lol, but that was my own fault) but way healthier than I was at my lowest of 170. I started just by counting calories for a couple of months, before getting into any serious gym time. I joined a weight loss competition in the spring, did CrossFit 3X a week and ate around 1600-1800 calories. Now I'm running my first half marathon tomorrow!

Stick with whatever plan works for you, you'll see results! But keep in mind that heavy cardio is so hard on your joints (especially with extra weight), strength training is so much better and will help you melt inches! JMO!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    the whole eat at a calorie defecit has been covered

but I have to ask how you are getting those calorie burns, because they seem rather high

fr'instance - it would take me around 24 mins on the elliptical at around 8kmh, a resistance of 17 out of 25 and a HR of 150-160 to burn 200 calories or so now

Treadmill and this bike thing. Treadmill 40mins and bike 36. Im goin by wat my heart rate monitor says when I'm done.

So 76 minutes total for 800?

Yes. Wednesday my watch said 848 when I was done. Sometimes it says 900 somethin. It depends on my incline, speed etc.
    No way. 40 minutes of slow walking on the treadmill and recumbent bike for 36 minutes? You're walking slower than I walk from the train station to my office.

I'm sorry, but there is no way that's accurate.
  • ashley92188
    Options
    OP: I am 5'9" and started at 251lbs a year ago. I'm currently at 210 (plateaued for 6 months, lol, but that was my own fault) but way healthier than I was at my lowest of 170. I started just by counting calories for a couple of months, before getting into any serious gym time. I joined a weight loss competition in the spring, did CrossFit 3X a week and ate around 1600-1800 calories. Now I'm running my first half marathon tomorrow!

Stick with whatever plan works for you, you'll see results! But keep in mind that heavy cardio is so hard on your joints (especially with extra weight), strength training is so much better and will help you melt inches! JMO!
    Yea my ankles tend to hurt a lot and my thighs.
  • ashley92188
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    the whole eat at a calorie defecit has been covered

but I have to ask how you are getting those calorie burns, because they seem rather high

fr'instance - it would take me around 24 mins on the elliptical at around 8kmh, a resistance of 17 out of 25 and a HR of 150-160 to burn 200 calories or so now

Treadmill and this bike thing. Treadmill 40mins and bike 36. Im goin by wat my heart rate monitor says when I'm done.

So 76 minutes total for 800?

Yes. Wednesday my watch said 848 when I was done. Sometimes it says 900 somethin. It depends on my incline, speed etc.
    No way. 40 minutes of slow walking on the treadmill and recumbent bike for 36 minutes? You're walking slower than I walk from the train station to my office.

I'm sorry, but there is no way that's accurate.

It's not that "slow" for me bc one I'm damn near 300lbs so walking at 3-3.5 is a big workout for me and my heart rate is pretty high. And with that bike it also has handles or wateva that work my arms as well. The faster I go with that my heart rate reaches over 200. So whether it's completely accurate or not I am burning alotta calories. Once my body gets used to these workouts of course it'll be less because I won't be working as hard and it'll be easier.