Caffeine

Options
2»

Replies

• needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    needernt wrote: »
    If I don't get my coffee before my workout people will die. The lure of coffee is the only reason I get up at 5 a.m. to hit the gym! As to whether or not I get a "performance boost" from it I'm going to say no. It does make me more bearable to be around though.
    ]
    You wake up at 5 ti hit the gym!! What about breakfast and 2 hours time gap to digest it?

Why do I need breakfast and 2 hours to digest it? I have never eaten before a morning workout. I have my breakfast afterwards.
    Unless you are overweight with the aim of weight loss you should not do this. It results in muscle loss and maybe hospital even.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I don't get my coffee before my workout people will die. The lure of coffee is the only reason I get up at 5 a.m. to hit the gym! As to whether or not I get a "performance boost" from it I'm going to say no. It does make me more bearable to be around though.
    ]
    You wake up at 5 ti hit the gym!! What about breakfast and 2 hours time gap to digest it?

Why do I need breakfast and 2 hours to digest it? I have never eaten before a morning workout. I have my breakfast afterwards.
    Unless you are overweight with the aim of weight loss you should not do this. It results in muscle loss and maybe hospital even.

<---- Pretty sure I'm not overweight. :)
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this. I limit coffee to 1 1/2 cups in the morning. The only way I get out of bed to do my morning workout is because i set my coffee maker to have it ready for me as soon as I come down the stairs.

• Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Buu_kz wrote: »
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    I watched a documentary about this. Two athletes of equal ability ran on the tredmill for a set distance both just having drunk water and their times recorded for a benchmark.
    The next day they did the same, one having had caffine and one not, but neither one knew who had had the caffine. The one that did had about a 20% increase in positive results.
    I tend to drink black coffee about an hour before training and feel it does work. Could be a placebo but it works for me
    Thats really cool, honestly I cant live without my coffee, it helps with my appetite and its something I reach for instead of a snack on some days
    Totally agree with you as this is what I do when at work. Keepse away from the bickys
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I drink an entire pot (12 cups) of black coffee every day. I count it as water. Of course if you use sugar, cream, milk, or whatever in your coffee, that is different.

I intend to cut back but weight loss and fitness improvement is what I am working on now.

The studies about caffeine effect on athletic performance is only really applicable to professional athletes. It doesn't really matter if the average Joe gets a little extra speed from caffeine or not.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary about this. Two athletes of equal ability ran on the tredmill for a set distance both just having drunk water and their times recorded for a benchmark.
    The next day they did the same, one having had caffine and one not, but neither one knew who had had the caffine. The one that did had about a 20% increase in positive results.
    I tend to drink black coffee about an hour before training and feel it does work. Could be a placebo but it works for me

Serious question: How did neither one know who had the caffeine? Did they slip something clear and tasteless into the water? I mean if someone handed me a cup of coffee I'd totally know that I was getting caffeine!

Coffee is the taste bit apart from that no idea.
    Science is a wonderful thing ha ha
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with caffeine anyway? what problem it might cause? Is it addictive?

I was severely addicted to caffeine and it started to affect my sleep also. I went cold turkey and, for two weeks, I slept 17-18 hours a day or else got a severe headache. I then reintroduced a moderate amount into my day. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and no more caffeine the rest of the day. If I have any after about 2 PM, I cannot fall asleep.

I don't want to stop completely. When I go in to see my doctor, if I haven't had coffee that morning, my BP is actually very low (last time was 92/60). The lab also has problems drawing blood if I haven't had my coffee. My 2 cups seems to be the right compromise and I do get overly tired or get a headache if I haven't had any caffeine at all.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Also, if anyone is interested, there have been some interesting studies published recently indicating various health benefits to drinking moderate to large amounts of coffee. Obviously not smart to take these as gospel or anything, but it is certainly something I'll be reading more about as the research continues.