Moderation when you don't live alone

Options
13»

Replies

• grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    That sort of thing pisses me off too. So I hide it, I have a stash in my home office desk drawer - a bit harder to hide cheese I suppose, but if you put it in an old cottage cheese container (disguise it) you might be able to pull it off.

^^love this idea^^ usually I'll put in all the way in the back of fridge, no one here looks in the back. The down side (or depending on the person it's an up side) I forget about it and it goes bad..
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I put a post-it note with "Moms" on anything I want to last in this house, lol. Otherwise it's fair game. Especially diet pop- my son will drink every last drop if I didn't put a note on one or two of them for myself. If he really wants it he'll come and ask if he can have it.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. My husband does the same thing to me. I do hide food and I also write my name on things. He hates that but I can't get him to understand that when I want something it's upsetting when it's not there when I'm ready for it. I have kids and I trained them. They know better then to take momma's stuff. I have had the last can of soda from the holidays in the fridge for weeks. They know the last red cream soda is always for mom. I once fussed at my friends husband because he went in my fridge and drank the last one. He knows better now. lol :smiley:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've got two teenagers who eat all teh foodz. I plan ahead and make sure I've got backup options.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yep, talk to him. He won't know otherwise...Men are daft like that.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    OMG It's not just my husbad! lol. Another thing mine likes to do, I'll buy single serving low cal snacks, (just one package) and I'll buy him a CRAPLOAD of his junk. He'll eat mine first so all that's left is his which yes, I could eat some but it's not stuff I want to waste calories on. So I understand the "I'm gonna eat my share. All of it. Right now" mentality.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a drawer in the fridge that is just for my food. No one else goes into it or eats out of it.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have been known to designate one of the produce drawers as my drawer and have a snack drawer for my stuff. Everything else that isn't gluten free labeled my husband can have. I don't worry about some things, but he loves eating my pudding snacks and loves finishing off the ice cream unless it's all flavors he doesn't like... Other things, he gets a container and I get a container and they get labeled.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    In addition to talking to your hubby, you could portion and label your half of the goodies. That way, he still gets to eat his portion but you don't lose out on some tasty cheese or chocolates because he ate your half.
    I've tried this too. Hubs eats all his, and a couple days later looks at me all puppy doggish when I'm eating some and he has none. I am soft. Sucks.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well my husband (and kids) doesn't like my Greek yogurts, so there's that at least, lol. Or I'd be really peeved.
  • paulawatkins1974
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    When I was living at home, I would have to write my name on anything that I didn't want anyone else to eat. My dad was especially bad about eating my leftover food.

On a side note...why does MFP think that a_n_a_l is a bad word? It's a legitimate term. This next bit is copied and pasted from dictionary.com

adjective
    of, pertaining to, involving, or near the a n u s.
    Psychoanalysis.
    of or relating to the second stage of psychosexual development, during which gratification is derived from the retention or expulsion of feces.
    of or relating to an anal character.
    of or relating to gratification derived from stimulation of the a n u s.
    Yes, and because they blocked it out, I thought it was a different much worse word!

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes it's like that with my boyfriend. He eats so much. It's annoying. I'll be thinking I have enough food for lunch or something and then nope. He ate it all. He is like a garbage disposal.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sounds strange, but we have "sides" of the fridge. If a food is on "his" side, it's his, I don't eat it. If a food is on "my" side he doesn't eat it. I tend to weigh things out and put them in tupperware so when I'm out of time and need a snack it takes minutes to put something together (I tend to get hangry A LOT, and need to plan for "attacks"). He knows that if I have taken the time to sort it out and it's on my side if he even takes a bite he's in trouble. I ask him EVERY week what he wants from the grocery store and if he doesn't tell me, he doesn't get anything and he just has to deal.

The system works. It's anal, but it works.

We have something like this too.
    First of all my husband wont eat anything that is for me. Not one bite. He thinks its important for me to have my snacks handy and always there, so my weight loss journey is as smoothly as possible. When i run out of "my" popcorn or yogurt then he is the one who wants to go to the store. We shop together too and get what we need. The "together foods" the " foods for me" the foods for him.

Now we eat about the same meals, i prepare them. Because he didn't had much weight to lose he add some snacks.

But we have in our cub-bard a shelf were all our food is on and one shelf for him alone. I dont want any of that and wont eat it. Mostly because i cant have (too much) salt. Some crisps his salted peanuts etc. And i have the unsalted versions lol
    All his snacks and special things are there.

And if he is in any doubt he asks.

So yes we have the separated shelf's too in a way :) And it works for us.

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    they are saving you from the calories. be happy
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »

...personally, trying to save me from calories is a good way to lose a hand.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »

It's a good way for them to lose 5-10 pounds after they lose a limb.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Can't you just ask him not to eat your bit, tell him you're saving it for later?
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Meh, it's only food. If your husband eats it all it's not biggy. Just have some next time or something else or make your own. Or ask him to leave you some. Or withhold sex if he doesn't. Or just break up.

Lol at your screen name & this advice :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I grew up with this in the house, and it had greatly impacted how I eat food as an adult. Basically - "if it is there, eat as much as you can because in a few hours it will all be gone and you wont get anymore"

Luckily, when I started this journey I lived with my boyfriend. When I figured this out (my trust issues with "saving a piece") I had him swear that if I claim it, or save it that he will NOT eat it, unless if it has been a few days and it is still untouched (either way he must ask me).

So I tried this out. We bought a pizza. I ate until I was content, which was about 2 pieces. That left me with 2 extra pieces for later. He promised he would not touch the extra 2 pieces. I will be honest, the entire day that those slices were around, I felt like I needed to go eat them before anyone else could get to them. To my surprise, they were still there! Untouched, waiting for me when I was ready. Eventually, I ate them.

To this day now, if I claim a portion, I have complete trust that no one will eat it, or at least will ask before they do so. :) I dont think I have had a moment of stuffing my face just because I thought the food would be gone in years!

Communicate Everything. Get everyone together and explain that "if this food is in this designated section of the fridge, then it is MINE and you can not touch it!" (use a container, a section of the counter, whatever)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    The mental framework I use is that there will always be future opportunities to consumer XYZ.
    I try to come at it from an abundance mentality as opposed to a scarcity mentality.

This is great in general, thanks.

Francl27 - sticky notes! On everything. "MINE, do not eat"

I used to be the 'bad guy' in this sort of scenario, before I started tracking. My girlfriend will save stuff and have leftovers (most of which are forgotten and go bad), but I always prepare exactly as much as I'm going to eat. But that's her food, so, not my problem.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I have my own shelf in the pantry labelled "Mom's stuff, don't touch". And I label stuff in the fridge if I really want to have it later in the week. Everyone is trying to support my eating plan and they know what I'm doing and why. They have more options than I do (I'm the only one with a weight problem) so it seems reasonable that that they not eat my diet foods or special treats.