what is the MFP protocol...

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'd say there are a few nodes of consensus on things.

Eat dinner, OP, and do better tomorrow.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd be getting real cozy with my friend the treadmill this afternoon. Then eat a moderate dinner, book the overage, and do better tomorrow.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if there is a protocol or not, but one way to avoid this in the future is to get into the habit of tracking BEFORE you eat. You can do this one meal at a time, but even better is to have your whole day planned out by the morning.

Even if things change a little bit as your day progresses, you are less likely to get so off track that you completely run out of calories.

Yep, this is what I do. I prelog everything in the morning, then I can tweak things if I'm over or under.
    I don't get why people log AFTER they eat, it could be too late then
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if there is a protocol or not, but one way to avoid this in the future is to get into the habit of tracking BEFORE you eat. You can do this one meal at a time, but even better is to have your whole day planned out by the morning.

Even if things change a little bit as your day progresses, you are less likely to get so off track that you completely run out of calories.

Yep, this is what I do. I prelog everything in the morning, then I can tweak things if I'm over or under.

Because my math skills are pretty sharp.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

I usually pre-log, too, 'cause it makes it easier to plan. But sometimes, life happens. I go out for a meal, I get invited somewhere, I travel, I'm someplace where I don't know in advance what I'm going to eat. So I make as smart choices as I can on the spot and I log later, and usually I'm able to come in on or under my calorie goal.

Learning to roll with it is one of those coping skills that's important for everyone to learn while losing weight, 'cause it's what's gonna help us keep it off later and for life.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'd see if I couldn't get in a half hour run then eat something super small. Could probably still come out as even, but avoid pangs that evening.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    If I log at the end of the day, odds are always high that I go over :'( I'm hopeless at eyeballing stuff
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options
    If I log at the end of the day, odds are always high that I go over :'( I'm hopeless at eyeballing stuff

Oh, see, I log it right before I eat it. I'd go over if I waited until the end of the day too. I had a snack a few days ago that put me over because I just went in the kitchen and put things in my face.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Oh, see, I log it right before I eat it. I'd go over if I waited until the end of the day too. I had a snack a few days ago that put me over because I just went in the kitchen and put things in my face.
    Lol did that last night with a big fat bag of m&ms
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't do that because I'm an evening grazer, but I'd go do something that would earn me calories to eat and get my mind off food ...gym workout or long dog walk
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    The protocol is to eat dinner and do a better job planning you day tomorrow.

Yep.

Pre-planning helps too, as does pre-logging.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    ..for when you ate all your day's cals by noon, and your still hungry for more lunch, and you still have dinner and two snacks coming up?

You've reached your quota, right? You're done then. No food for you!

OTOH, you could get rid of the ridiculous goals that leave you over quota and out of calories before lunch and go with something you actually have a chance of succeeding with... but hey, what do I know, right?

How do you know their goals were ridiculous?

I agree with the eat something filling. Protein often works well and drink lots of water and start over tomorrow. If you're really wanting to not eat those extra calories you could take a few out of the next few days to make up for it but if you don't go WAY over you'll still be at a deficit for the week.

<boggle>

Uhh ... might have something to do with consuming the entire day's calories before even lunch is done, still being hungry at lunch, and having the remaining half of the day with no calories - zero ... nada ... nothing .. diddley-squat left to consume? Maybe? Ya think that might be a ridiculously aggressive bar to set for one's self that just might lead to certain and doomed failure? Maybe? Ya think? Right?

LxA59Dg.gif

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Have you guys not run into this poster before? Do you see how many posts she has? I could be wrong, but from past experience, this is kind of a joke.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've had days where I hit my calorie limit at 2 AM. hahaha

Just eat when you are hungry that night, log it, and plan the next day better. :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options
    I've had days where I hit my calorie limit at 2 AM. hahaha

Just eat when you are hungry that night, log it, and plan the next day better. :)

I've had one-third of my calorie limit. I should have put it under yesterday, but I want a kick in the pants to use my rowing machine tomorrow.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies and ideas, I do most of those....was glad to be reminded of some and happy to see new ideas.

It was not a joke.

Usually I hit my cal goals no problem but for some reason that day noontime hit, I had time to log since an earlier activity was canceled and I was like damn!

This day I had for some reason woken thirsty in the wee hours and consumed lots of OJ, multiple times, so I started the day off weird and with cals already used up.

I cant recall ever having used up ALL a days cals by lunch and was truly shocked and stumped.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I typically stop eating for the day.

but it is all up to you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

but it is all up to you.

Honestly, i cant even imagine doing that, even though im aware of IF and religious or other fasting, its just not something i am capable of.

I know other+people can though.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This day I had for some reason woken thirsty in the wee hours and consumed lots of OJ, multiple times, so I started the day off weird and with cals already used up.

Why OJ and not water? I don't drink a lot of fruit juice, because when I drink my calories, I want them to be boozy.

I have had days when, for one reason or another, I've hit my goal by lunch—usually when I'm traveling for work and have a hotel breakfast followed by lunch at a restaurant. In those cases, I try to hit the fitness center or go for a walk or a run before dinner, but if I can't, I just eat as lightly as I can at dinner, log everything, and remember that I gained all that weight not because I ate a huge surplus on a few days a year, but because I ate a small surplus almost every day of the year.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

but it is all up to you.

Honestly, i cant even imagine doing that, even though im aware of IF and religious or other fasting, its just not something i am capable of.

I know other+people can though.

desperation over time can lead to things you wouldn't want to know.

I labored under false assumptions that it was my inaccuracies in logging, my exercise lacking causing me to not lose the last 15 pounds for 2 years. Have only recently begun to get answers that it is something badly wrong with my thyroid.