Gas Mask At The Gym?

Options
I saw a guy at my gym with what appeared to be a gas mask or something of similar presentation. I had to do a double take. What and why is this?! Is this a new fitness innovation or what? He had it on throughout his workout. Never seen it before. Anyone?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Maybe training with reduced oxygen for competition or some event at high altitude? Just a wild guess.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's for training to resemble high altitude conditions

and it's DUMB
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It has to do with high altitude training.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

Yeah something like that... really caught me off guard
  • Atarahh
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

and it's DUMB

Agreed!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

and it's DUMB

yes...
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Atarahh wrote: »
    I saw a guy at my gym with what appeared to be a gas mask or something of similar presentation. I had to do a double take. What and why is this?! Is this a new fitness innovation or what? He had it on throughout his workout. Never seen it before. Anyone?
    It could be a mask for measuring VO2 levels if it had hoses attached and a collection device.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

and it's DUMB

Not that I have ever seen such a thing...but what if someone is planning a trip or something where they will be living in high altitudes? Wouldn't they want to condition themselves for this?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The training mask simply makes it harder to breathe in an attempt to simulate altitude. It doesn't replicate the lower O2 concentration at altitude nor is it worn long enough to stimulate the capillary adaptation that results from prolonged exposure to that lower O2 concentration ... and that adaptation is what makes the lungs more efficient at gas exchange. The masks can have some positive impacts on the muscular portion of breathing, but that is about it.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

and it's DUMB

Not that I have ever seen such a thing...but what if someone is planning a trip or something where they will be living in high altitudes? Wouldn't they want to condition themselves for this?

It doesn't work. It adds resistance to breathing but it doesn't thin out the air like it would at high altitudes. Just a marketing gimmick.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I just put a plastic bag over my head, it's really no big deal. I understand that David Carradine used to train that way for Kung Fu.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    After some protein shake farts, it's the only way to fly.
  • Atarahh
    Options
    it looked even more awkward because he was on the rowing machine. anyone on this thread actually wore one?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

and it's DUMB

Some people would say stepping out of their cities is dumb.

That said, as someone who does alpine, I can tell you they don't work. They will restrict your air intake, but it doesn't give an approximation to high altitudes at all. Tents and chambers can, but really, just go to a higher altitude.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    I just put a plastic bag over my head, it's really no big deal. I understand that David Carradine used to train that way for Kung Fu.

Before he upgrade to good ol rope?
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Atarahh wrote: »
    it looked even more awkward because he was on the rowing machine. anyone on this thread actually wore one?

I wear an elevation mask during training all the time. I practice MMA and it has dramatically helped my conditioning. I'm glad people find it "awkward" or even "dumb"... More cardio gains for me!!
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I will say that it's altitude claims are a gimmick though. All it does is make it harder to breath and after several weeks has increased my lung capacity/stamina
  • dbmata
    Options
    I will say that it's altitude claims are a gimmick though. All it does is make it harder to breath and after several weeks has increased my lung capacity/stamina
    before a match dose some clen, at 40mcg I think. You'll feel like you can breathe in the entire world all at once.
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    That mask reminds me of Hannibal Lecter.