Gas Mask At The Gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    That mask reminds me of Hannibal Lecter.

I was thinking Bane, myself.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I live in flyover and I have yet to seen anyone in a training mask, I hope I never have too.

That being said, I hope I do soon, I could always use a laugh.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Was it this guy? Because you should probably run.

latest?cb=20120511112335
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I will say that it's altitude claims are a gimmick though. All it does is make it harder to breath and after several weeks has increased my lung capacity/stamina
    Play tuba.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    That mask reminds me of Hannibal Lecter.

I was thinking Bane, myself.

Ah you beat me by a few seconds. :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    it's for training to resemble high altitude conditions

and it's DUMB

Not that I have ever seen such a thing...but what if someone is planning a trip or something where they will be living in high altitudes? Wouldn't they want to condition themselves for this?

if they are going to be living there, then no, because they'll start training and adapting to those conditions when they get there. if they are preparing for an event that takes place at altitude, then you can make a legit case for considering it's inclusion in your training program.

.....but 98 times out of 100 it's a dude that just saw some other dudes training with it on Instagram and thought it was cool, brah
  • zanqundria
    zanqundria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All I can do is laugh because I saw a guy with one of those on riding past my house on his bike and I had to do like you and do a double take and I was like what the heck is that on his face and my son said I think that's his Halloween costume like mine (my son was Bane for Halloween) lol
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ...wait maybe the person was on oxygen due to an illness?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

jeez. lung training:

Our multi-level resistance system reduces air flow through our patent pending flux valve system. Training Mask 2.0 promotes increased lung capacity by forcing you to inhale fuller deeper breaths. When your body adapts to the resistance your lungs will be trained to take deeper breaths and use oxygen more efficiently. A short explanation of how this works is simple. When you breathe against resistance the lining in the lungs essentially stretches out allowing the alveoli’s surface area to become "stretched" thus in return allows for more blood flow to the alveoli for more (oxygen transportation). When you increase "surface area" you increase red blood cell count that will be able to carry more oxygen out to the extremities

"breathing against resistance"! yeah it sounds like a baaad idea.

but maybe it's not that, maybe it's something else (e.g. the guy has exercise-induced asthma or something)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    zanqundria wrote: »
    All I can do is laugh because I saw a guy with one of those on riding past my house on his bike and I had to do like you and do a double take and I was like what the heck is that on his face and my son said I think that's his Halloween costume like mine (my son was Bane for Halloween) lol

well that's different, maybe it's not fun to breathe in exhaust on a daily basis. i've seen a few cyclists wearing masks in my city, and it seems reasonable enough to me.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhh, ok. I saw a dude at my gym wearing one a few months back. I thought he was just scared of Ebola.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    zanqundria wrote: »

well that's different, maybe it's not fun to breathe in exhaust on a daily basis. i've seen a few cyclists wearing masks in my city, and it seems reasonable enough to me.

unless they were cycling while wearing SCUBA gear, you're getting this mixed up
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    it's for training to resemble high altitude conditions

and it's DUMB

Not that I have ever seen such a thing...but what if someone is planning a trip or something where they will be living in high altitudes? Wouldn't they want to condition themselves for this?

Not unless they were going directly from the treadmill to a high altitude. Adaptation to high altitude will occur relatively quickly. More likely, the guy had fallen for the false idea that "altitude training" improves your performance at sea level.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Atarahh wrote: »
    it looked even more awkward because he was on the rowing machine. anyone on this thread actually wore one?

I wear an elevation mask during training all the time. I practice MMA and it has dramatically helped my conditioning. I'm glad people find it "awkward" or even "dumb"... More cardio gains for me!!

Unless you have done a study with a control group with the mask as the only variable, you can't really substantiate that claim.