High cal low fat meals?

Options
Hello fellow string beans trying to put some muscle on,

I am 5'7 and about 115lbs and trying to gain about .5lbs a week. The working out is going great, heavy lifting, little to no cardio, and I'm actually becoming stronger. My issue is trying to get the 2300 calories in throughout the day without eating too much fat. What are some good tips/recipes for high calorie low fat? It seems I'm able to meet my protein goal daily, but getting all of the carbs in is proving to be a challenge. Thanks!

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Why are you aiming for low fat, medical reason or just personal preference?

Fat is both high cal and filling and excellent for helping you hit your calorie goal - it is needed and you shouldn't be be afraid of it.
  • helenmelon2389
    helenmelon2389 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I often go over my daily fat intake, so I'm trying to find meals to incorporate to keep it balanced.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    What are your macros set at? It sounds like you need to change them - the auto MFP setting isn't great especially if you're bulking.
    -
    Plus as long as you're hitting your protein goal going over fat doesn't really matter tbh.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • helenmelon2389
    Options
    ub9kvpvswo9z.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what are your macro ratios?

anyway, don't be afraid of dietary fat...in RE to carbs, eat rice...eat pasta...go out for pizza and beer...have some ice cream for desert. If you want to bulk you can't be afraid to eat and you can't be afraid to work.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Macros look pretty good they seem to be 30% fat, 20% protein 50% carbs

If you're struggling to reach you're goal I'd suggest maybe changing them to 35%fat 25% protein 40% carbs and adding in some cheese, nuts, full fat cottage cheese etc.

Foods that have protein and fat in them - so you don't feel like your stuffing yourself with foods.

Otherwise just add in more pasta, rice, bread with your meals.

I'm sure some of the bulking folks will pop in eventually - tell you to ignore me and give their advice :wink: it's always quieter on the weekend.
  • helenmelon2389
    Options
    I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! I eat as much as I physically can, with help from thc haha I will be grocery shopping for nuts and cheese today. Have a great day guys !
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You can take a peek at my diary, I get in about the same amount of fat as you and hit about 400+ carbs a day.
  • tswanson0314
    Options
    when you find that balance of low fat / high cal please share … I'm looking for the same suggestions
  • klake2
    klake2 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love subbing chicken or turkey instead of red meats as a way to lower the fat content of meals. Chili is pretty easy to adjust the macros of, I have a big crockpot of chicken taco chili cooking right now that's nice and high protein/medium carb/lower fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    klake2 wrote: »
    I love subbing chicken or turkey instead of red meats as a way to lower the fat content of meals. Chili is pretty easy to adjust the macros of, I have a big crockpot of chicken taco chili cooking right now that's nice and high protein/medium carb/lower fat.

ok...but she's looking for high calorie...subbing chicken breast is going to lower the fat but also the calories....

when you're trying to gain weight, dietary fat is your friend...you don't have to stuff yourself to get your calories up. If you're trying to bulk up weight, you can't be afraid of fat and you can't be afraid of carbs...and you can't be afraid to eat in general. Just eat.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I often go over my daily fat intake, so I'm trying to find meals to incorporate to keep it balanced.

I have the same issue (usually over on fat and protein, under on carbs) but I don't sweat it. As long as you're getting the calories in, it shouldn't matter too much.

More of a problem if you were an elite athlete or had medical issues.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    My advice is always to basically ignore the macro ratios since there is no magic ratio. Aim for a minimum of 1g of protein per pound of body weight, minimum of .45 g of fat, about 30g of fibre and as long as you are eating a balanced diet that meets all of your micros don't worry about the ratios. Just get your calories and your minimums and you'll be fine.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    try drinking some calories, in juice or wine.
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    im trying to gain also i get near carbs but cant get near cals fat or proten without going over carbs really annoying love advice
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    im trying to gain also i get near carbs but cant get near cals fat or proten without going over carbs really annoying love advice

One word: eggs.
    Seriously, that will give you fat/protein without any carbs. You could also do steak or fattier cuts of meat, but eggs are so versatile, and are probably the cheapest protein/fat source you'll get.
  • helenmelon2389
    Options

It sounds like we need to talk since we have opposite issues. Elfman is right. I eat eggs every day, I even started incorporating them into dinner. It fills the protein gap I was struggling with before. If I'm having rice, I put a fried egg on top, maybe some chives..yum.
  • devoslosingit
    devoslosingit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im still learning about this issue of gaining weight since my daughter is underweight and on a cardiac diet. Those two dont go well together. This is what ive learned. The more high protien and low carb you eat the faster you lose weight. So the further apart those to numbers are the least likely the calories are going to make a difference overall. The other thing is high fat foods are your best friend as long as they are good fats. Think lots of avocados, whole yogurts, milk, peanut butter... Things with high good oils, whole milks, lots of snacks with natural fats, the key is keeping the fats good but lots of them.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    NY Strip Steak; reasonable fat, reasonable calories, and protein packed!