What to put in coffee

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
Anyone have recommendations for something non dairy to put in coffee? I'm going to stop eating dairy for a few weeks to see if it helps my digestive issues, but I've always put half and half in my coffee :( it's the thing I'm having the hardest time with. I've tried almond and coconut milk and don't like either. (In my coffee anyway). I also don't really like flavored coffee creamers like coffee mate... I guess I'm a coffee snob. But just wanted to see if there are any other options. Please/thank you

Replies

• Lacey0903
    Lacey0903 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's high calorie but as a treat try coconut oil.
  • bcm8605
    bcm8605 Posts: 14
    Options
    I put shakeology in my coffee some days.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to replace that taste only dairy can give :) Coffeemate grew on me. I use 1 tablespoon in a mug of coffee. It can't possibly be healthy but it's non-dairy. Probably a lot of it is getting used to a change. I like my coffee a certain way. When we go to visit my parents they make their coffee SO STRONG. When we get home the way I used to make coffee doesn't taste good anymore.. but if I keep making it my old way for a few weeks I get used to it again. Give any change a couple weeks.
  • Renee0887
    Renee0887 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There is something called Ripped Cream you can buy via Vitacost or Amazon. I haven't tried it yet.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I drink non-dairy milks (almond, coconut, cashew, occasionally soy) because I'm lactose intolerant.

Almond milk I find is too thin for coffee.

Coconut milk I like best for coffee myself, but some people can really notice the coconut flavour.

Cashew milk is creamier than almond milk, doesn't have a nutty flavour like other nut milks, and probably has the closest flavour profile to dairy.

Soy is the closest to milk in consistency, thickness, and creaminess, but isn't great to use too often because of the estrogen contained in soy beans, however if you're only avoiding dairy for a few weeks, soy milk may be a good option for you.

Additionally, if you can find it, So Delicious coconut milk creamer is thick like cream, doesn't have the coconut taste of other coconut milks I've tried, and is the most comparable thing I have found to cream that in non-dairy. It's usually only sold at health food stores (here, anyway) and is a bit pricey, but it's really good as a cream substitute. My mom used to use heavy cream before staying away from dairy, and it's the only thing she'll drink in her coffee.
  • Imanapeman
    Imanapeman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    vz9apl407ha0.jpg

Yes. Bulletproof your coffee. Look it up on Youtube.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Maybe a nondairy milk that isn't almond milk or coconut milk? I know I've seen something just labeled "nondairy milk" at the grocery store, but I'm kind of fuzzy on it because I've never had a reason to pay attention to it. It might be worth looking into! I'm same about almond milk in my coffee. I LOVE it, especially in cereal, but it just doesn't work in my coffee. So unfortunate. I'm currently in the half & half only camp after transitioning from cream/sugar/flavored creamers... I've always thought I was naturally moving toward drinking black coffee, so maybe you could try drinking it black & see if you grow to like it that way?
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My husband uses the plain Coffeemate. It has no flavor at all and acts like cream. I personally like sweet coffee so use French Vanilla Coffeemate. Every single day I log 35 calories from one tablespoon of it.

I am absolutely positive this has been one of the most important things to keep me going. I get such pleasure from my morning cup of coffee and knowing I can lose weight without giving up my normal (to me) tasting coffee was and has been huge.

I did start with 2 T when I first began counting calories, but eventually realized I'm as satisfied with a bit less coffee in the cup and just one Tablespoon. Once in a while I'll enjoy a bit more. Its worth the calories, to me.

55835802.png
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with three sugars and a teaspoon of hot chocolate mix.
  • hesn92
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    I drink non-dairy milks (almond, coconut, cashew, occasionally soy) because I'm lactose intolerant.

Almond milk I find is too thin for coffee. Coconut milk I like but some people can really notice the coconut flavour. Cashew milk is creamier than almond milk, and doesn't have a nutty flavour like other nut milks. Soy is the closest to milk in consistency, thickness, and creaminess, but isn't great to use too often because of the estrogen contained in soy beans, however if you're only avoiding dairy for a few weeks, soy milk may be a good option for you.

Additionally, if you can find it, So Delicious coconut milk creamer is thick like cream, doesn't have the coconut taste of other coconut milks I've tried, and is the most comparable thing I have found to cream that in non-dairy. It's usually only sold at health food stores (here, anyway) and is a bit pricey, but it's really good as a cream substitute. My mom used to use heavy cream before staying away from dairy, and it's the only thing she'll drink in her coffee.

I've heard of the so delicious but can't find it at any grocery stores. I will have to try a health food store. I may or may not stay away from dairy longer than a few weeks depending on if i notice any difference
  • FutbolMomx3
    Options
    SO Delicious Coconut Creamer is the closest things that I've found to half & half. My husband makes our coffee very strong so I end up using ALOT:( of creamer.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Drink it black.

Or cut the coffee out altogether for a bit. It might be causing you more digestive issues than the dairy is.
  • ashleycde
    Options
    vz9apl407ha0.jpg

Yes. Bulletproof your coffee. Look it up on Youtube.

Butter is dairy...

Coffee Mate, for those who suggested it, also contains milk derivatives.
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    More coffee.
  • hesn92
    Options
    SO Delicious Coconut Creamer is the closest things that I've found to half & half. My husband makes our coffee very strong so I end up using ALOT:( of creamer.

Does it taste like coconut milk?
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's true.. I always get caught up on their labeling "Non-Dairy," "Lactose-Free," and "Contains a milk-derivative"... it seems to be a contradiction :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    *grin* A true coffee snob drinks coffee delicious enough to drink black.
  • ashleycde
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Almond milk I find is too thin for coffee. Coconut milk I like but some people can really notice the coconut flavour. Cashew milk is creamier than almond milk, and doesn't have a nutty flavour like other nut milks. Soy is the closest to milk in consistency, thickness, and creaminess, but isn't great to use too often because of the estrogen contained in soy beans, however if you're only avoiding dairy for a few weeks, soy milk may be a good option for you.

I've heard of the so delicious but can't find it at any grocery stores. I will have to try a health food store. I may or may not stay away from dairy longer than a few weeks depending on if i notice any difference

I just typed in a random zip code that I googled from the city you had listed in your profile, and according to their website there's a bunch of places listed that carry their coconut milk creamer. 5 Hy-Vee locations (what ever that is), and a Natural Grocer's by Vitamin Cottage. I'm not sure if any of those are convenient for you, but if you go on their site you can see the locations for yourself. It allows you to scroll through their products and select exactly what you are looking for. Hope that helped :smile:
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me go non dairy for two weeks last year. It was a hard two weeks but thankfully I had never been much into dairy in my coffee (because it steals from the wonderful flavor and black puts hair on your chest!). Try to use just a tad bit of sugar or honey. Cream/Milk or any type of creamer (dairy or not) will probably upset your stomach regardless of if you have a sensitivity. My stomach issues are always elevated if I put cream in my coffee.
  • hesn92
    Options
    Lol
    hesn92 wrote: »

I just typed in a random zip code that I googled from the city you had listed in your profile, and according to their website there's a bunch of places listed that carry their coconut milk creamer. 5 Hy-Vee locations (what ever that is), and a Natural Grocer's by Vitamin Cottage. I'm not sure if any of those are convenient for you, but if you go on their site you can see the locations for yourself. It allows you to scroll through their products and select exactly what you are looking for. Hope that helped :smile:

Ha thanks! I've actually only looked at grocery stores out by my work on my lunch breaks, can't find any out there. Haven't actually looked at the Hy vee right down the street from my house.