Cheat Day

Options
Do any of you guys have a cheat day? Is it worth it? I am wondering because I am doing so well on my diet and my goals that I do not want to throw it all away for a burger with friends. In put and thoughts???

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat; I fit everything I want in moderation. You should be able to go out and have a burger every now and then without feeling like you're throwing away your progress. Just make it fit into your weekly deficit.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I wanted cheat days when I had set my calorie goal too low.
  • soontobeslim2015
    Options
    I dont have a cheat day but I do not deprive myself I just track everything make better choices and stay in my calorie limit so far 21 days and 18.4 pounds lost :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My day will turn into a "cheat" day if I have icecream or whatever after dinner, which ALWAYS puts me over. I wish I could incorporate these things into my daily deficit, but 500-700 calories are hard to omit for a bowl of icecream :\ so I just avoid it all together.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you want a burger and fries, work it into your calories. Demonizing foods so that you feel like you're "cheating" doesn't make sense to me. You can eat the things you love in moderation.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    God yes of course you should! Everything in moderation all the time is just about as boring as it gets, life is meant for living, going out with your friends and not concerning yourself too much is a great joy in life! I hate the term cheat day, one day every now and then in the course of a life time wont ruin anything, it should improve it.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat life. I eat all I want, when I want.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    fighter662 wrote: »
    Do any of you guys have a cheat day? Is it worth it? I am wondering because I am doing so well on my diet and my goals that I do not want to throw it all away for a burger with friends. In put and thoughts???

So you've consistently had a deficit? As in, you're several hundred calories under this week?

What is the absolute worst thing that happens if you go out with your friends? You consume an extra several hundred calories?

Your worst case scenario is that you cancel this week's work out. This is unlikely unless you have a very tiny deficit or you absolutely lose your mind at the restaurant.

Go. You're allowed to have a life outside of your goals.
  • fighter662
    Options
    I did the math and I have plenty of calories in my deficit. Plus I was going to run tomorrow and do some weight training.
  • STUPID_GOPHER
    STUPID_GOPHER Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    better to do a cheat meal, than a cheat day :)
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My trainer gives us a cheat meal every 21 days because you need it to kick your motabolism up after it gets used to your new way of eating...
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree I do not have a cheat day. but I track everything I eat good and bad to the best of my ability and try not to go too far over the line. I found if I deprive myself too much I trigger a binge and that is really bad. I also found that even though it is more expensive I buy single serving packages of some things like chips and eat one small bag instead of a big bag.
    good luck whatever you decide
  • Becky_LaBelle
    Becky_LaBelle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to follow an 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I eat healthy and I give myself some wiggle room. If I feel like that's too much I try to really restrict the bad foods for at least 21 days or so then I have to have a cheat meal. With this method I'm able to still indulge in whatever suits me and when I do cheat I gain a little water and always end up lighter. But you have to see what works for you.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i eat what i want with moderation ,but i also exercise just makes,me feel better about icecream or what ever it is .
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I found it slowed down my weight loss a bit, so I don't bother... I just add in regular treats as a part of a balanced diet. There's nothing I really cut out.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I actually wrote about this on my blog. I'm not sure if this is OK to post here - not selling anything, so we'll give it a go. (But I understand if it gets pulled.)

http://thecouponproject.com/losing-weight-on-a-budget-why-i-dont-do-cheat-days-and-what-i-do-instead/
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    I have a cheat life. I eat all I want, when I want.

:|
  • uask4itdave
    uask4itdave Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule a cheat day. But when I do go WAY over my calories for the day...I consider it my cheat day. I work harder my next workout, and I make sure to stick closer to my calories allotment for the next few days. No harm, no foal if one Saturday you have a smothered burrito for lunch, then see a movie where you polish off a tub of popcorn & a soda. Just don't do it everyday.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't like cheat days... they turn in to cheat weeks and so on. Then I have to start all over again... again. I do much better if I'm strict with my calories every day. But that doesn't mean i don't indulge every now and again. I just make sure I save some calories for it.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My trainer gives us a cheat meal every 21 days because you need it to kick your motabolism up after it gets used to your new way of eating...

Broscience...there's no need to "kick your metabolism up". Unless you're dead, or have thyroid or medical problems, your metabolism is working just fine.