Snack Foods for a Trip? (Gluten Free, Grain Free)

Options
KimINfortheWin
KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
We're gluten free/grain free (no oats). We are going on a trip in the next couple of months. We plan to take dried fruit, jerky, nuts, etc. for those in between times when we're hungry but haven't found a suitable place to eat yet.

Does anyone have good recipes for any power bars, "granola" bars, or things like that do not require refrigeration and can keep for up to 2 weeks?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    be careful as alot of jerky isn't gluten free! as they use soy as flavoring etc try making your own to insure it is!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    pop corn is a good thing to take away, Make a whole lot up and put into zip lock bags. not sure how long they would last though they may get soggy
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    be careful as alot of jerky isn't gluten free! as they use soy as flavoring etc try making your own to insure it is!

Yeah, we're trying to be gluten-free but if we have a little bit that's hidden, we're not worrying about it. It's a choice, not a celiac-type requirement. But thanks for the warning!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    pop corn is a good thing to take away, Make a whole lot up and put into zip lock bags. not sure how long they would last though they may get soggy

We're also not eating corn. lol!! But great idea!
  • janetdungan
    janetdungan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hummus, apples, egg whites, snap peas
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    hummus, apples, egg whites, snap peas

Hummus, egg whites and snap peas would require refrigeration, but good ideas. Thanks!
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know about bars but - I can recommend a Gluten Free cereal you can easily eat as a snack/breakfast (you need water or a milk/milk sub to mix with it, but you could get some of those shelf-stable boxes of coconut milk to take with you.)

http://us.naturespath.com/product/qiatm-superfood-chia-buckwheat-hemp-cereal-original-flavor

I find it to be tasty, filling, and has a lot of fiber, which can be really tough to get when you are gluten free (I am too.)
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Looking it up now. Thanks!!
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I make my own Larabars...no refrigeration, 100% grain-free. :) I also make grain-free granola that the whole family loves. We eat it out-of-hand as a snack or with almond milk as cereal.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What about regular fruit? Apples, peaches, bananas etc that don't need to be refrigerated? Also, you could take a small cooler or insulated lunch bag with an ice pack for any items that needed to be kept cold. Stopping at a restaurant to eat will probably be a challenge as most are fast food type places, but those huge rest stop plazas are starting to come with better options now.

ETA: Maybe pick up some packets of gluten free dressing so you can eat salads...most fast food joints offer a salad or two.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    I make my own Larabars...no refrigeration, 100% grain-free. :) I also make grain-free granola that the whole family loves. We eat it out-of-hand as a snack or with almond milk as cereal.

Do you have recipes for these? Thanks!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    What about regular fruit? Apples, peaches, bananas etc that don't need to be refrigerated? Also, you could take a small cooler or insulated lunch bag with an ice pack for any items that needed to be kept cold. Stopping at a restaurant to eat will probably be a challenge as most are fast food type places, but those huge rest stop plazas are starting to come with better options now.

ETA: Maybe pick up some packets of gluten free dressing so you can eat salads...most fast food joints offer a salad or two.

Yes, we'll definitely grab fresh fruit every chance we get too. It's 2 weeks, so we although we expect we will have to eat some things we can't over that time period, we're trying to minimize the damage. And we'll take a cooler, but it'll have to be very small.
  • HeleGoonian
    Options
    I make these too!
    I follow the basic guidelines found here:http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/how-to-make-homemade-lara-bars/
    It is best to play around and find what you like. You don't have to refrigerate them, but I like the texture better when I do. But, if I cut down on the moist ingredients they would probably firm up a little better.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the KInd bars, yet? Very good, my fav is the almond and coconut there are lots of varieties, so you shouldn't get too bored with them .I have also been seeing quite a few dairy and gluten free products in the stores lately, just make a trip to your nearest grocery store AND health food stores see what is available to you. Good luck and have fun on your trip!
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I find Blue Diamond Nut Thins to be quite delicious, especially the pecan and almond w/ sea salt varieties. And fruit leather from Trader Joe's. As far as making your own "energy" bars, I've made these and love them. Feel free to substitute the oats for more puffed rice cereal or something similar:

1 1/4 cups puffed rice cereal
    1 cup uncooked quick oats (substitute more rice cereal or something similar)
    3 tablespoons ground flax seed
    1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit
    1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
    1/4 cup local honey, grade b maple syrup or light molasses
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/3 cup nut butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
    chocolate chips (optional)

Combine cereal, flax seed, fruit and nuts in large bowl. In small saucepan, bring the honey and brown sugar to a gentle simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat & stir in the nut butter and vanilla extract. Pour over dry mixture and stir until well combined. Press into greased 8" pan or mini muffin tins. Drizzle melted chocolate chips over top, if desired. Store in fridge (or you could wrap them in foil and freeze until you're ready to eat them).

I think most homemade bars are going to require some refrigeration. However, having said that, I've had these sit out several hours (kiddo's lunchbox) and they're fine, just a little sticky. That's why I said about freezing them first, then they'd last a bit longer out of the fridge.

Also, these are really, really versatile. You can substitute anything for anything. I've added white chocolate chips to the dry mixture, I've used craisins, crystallized ginger, pistachios, you name it. I also make my own peanut butter, so if you use a natural peanut butter, they might be slightly more sticky, too. No emulsifiers, and all that.

Anyway, have a fun trip. I hope you get lots of good suggestions! Good for you for planning ahead!
  • tigerjane81
    tigerjane81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try Oskri brand fruit and nut bars. I order the almond cranberry flavor in bulk from amazon
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I know you already mentioned nuts, but Almonds are super healthly. We take those along on every trip now.

If you love chips, try Beanitos white bean chips or black bean chips - all gluten free. They are amazing!
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    maybe worth the 100 dollar investment to get your own food dehydrator and just make your own jerky and dehydrate a ton of veggies/fruit, whatever you want!
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Do you have recipes for these? Thanks!

If you google "homemade larabars" you'll get hundreds of options. :) This is the first one I tried, but they're all similar: http://www.inner-gourmet.com/2010/02/recipe-homemade-lara-bars-cashew-cookie.html

This is the recipe I use for granola (from a fb friend, Faith):

Paleo Granola

We also occasionally add Enjoy life chocolate chips after it is completely cooled.
    2 cups Sliced Almonds
    2 cups Unsweetend Coconut Flakes
    1 cup walnuts
    1 cup pecans
    ¼ cup Honey
    1/3 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    2 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
    1 tsp Ground Nutmeg

*some people use pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. Really to YOUR taste.

1. Preheat oven to 300F. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
    2. Mix coconut, nuts and seeds in a big bowl. Add cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to coat.
    3. Melt coconut oil and honey on low heat on the stovetop or in the microwave. Add vanilla.
    4. Pour coconut oil mixture over nuts and seeds. Stir to coat. Pour out onto prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly.
    5. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool completely in pan (for larger chunks), then pour into a plastic container or bag for storage. Extra tasty served with berries and milk alternative of your choice!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Awesome recommendations! I'll definitely try some of those. You never know about some of those products. A lot of them are glorified and expensive cardboard.

RE: Dehydrator. Yes, I keep eyeing them.

Sorry I've been offline a couple days on the board. My work got busy.