Snack Foods for a Trip? (Gluten Free, Grain Free)

Options

Replies

• KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I find Blue Diamond Nut Thins to be quite delicious, especially the pecan and almond w/ sea salt varieties. And fruit leather from Trader Joe's. As far as making your own "energy" bars, I've made these and love them. Feel free to substitute the oats for more puffed rice cereal or something similar:

1 1/4 cups puffed rice cereal
    1 cup uncooked quick oats (substitute more rice cereal or something similar)
    3 tablespoons ground flax seed
    1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit
    1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
    1/4 cup local honey, grade b maple syrup or light molasses
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/3 cup nut butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
    chocolate chips (optional)

Combine cereal, flax seed, fruit and nuts in large bowl. In small saucepan, bring the honey and brown sugar to a gentle simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat & stir in the nut butter and vanilla extract. Pour over dry mixture and stir until well combined. Press into greased 8" pan or mini muffin tins. Drizzle melted chocolate chips over top, if desired. Store in fridge (or you could wrap them in foil and freeze until you're ready to eat them).

I think most homemade bars are going to require some refrigeration. However, having said that, I've had these sit out several hours (kiddo's lunchbox) and they're fine, just a little sticky. That's why I said about freezing them first, then they'd last a bit longer out of the fridge.

Also, these are really, really versatile. You can substitute anything for anything. I've added white chocolate chips to the dry mixture, I've used craisins, crystallized ginger, pistachios, you name it. I also make my own peanut butter, so if you use a natural peanut butter, they might be slightly more sticky, too. No emulsifiers, and all that.

Anyway, have a fun trip. I hope you get lots of good suggestions! Good for you for planning ahead!

YUM! Those sound great. I'm a huge fan of ginger too.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My go to are nuts, cheese (I'm primal), veggies, avocado, scoop of coconut oil etc and I stop and have a good meal once in awhile (rib eye steak, yum). While I wouldn't recommend store-bought jerky, it CAN be made at home. Takes a little prep and drying time, but it is simple and delicious (use your own spice blend).

Dehydrator is nice, but stuff can be air dried or dried in the oven as well. (lowest heat, door just ajar, a few hours-depends on thickness of the food)

Do a search of recipes. There are many made with coconut oil that can be modified in so many ways.

You said grain free but some of us missed that. :(
  • skinnydreams1997
    skinnydreams1997 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There are some good granola bars by nature valley; some of them are gluten free. You could also bring any kind of nuts and vegetables to eat on the road.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i made a homemade lara bar type of thing made from dates, unsweetened coconut, carob or semi sweet chips and a tad of vanilla, just blend it all together.

is there any way you can bring a cooler with ice packs? that way you can have string cheese, veggie strips and hummus, fruit, make green smoothies. can also make quinoa spinach patties to bring and maybe eat them on gluten free bread or in lettuce wraps (recipe on skinnytaste.com) chia pudding would also be good to make if you can bring something cool to keep it in, if not you can get something like a carton of coconut milk and just shake it up on the road

rice crispy treats made with gf brown rice crispies vanilla extract nutella agave or honey and coco powder (from chocolatecoveredkatie.com, she has some awesome recipes as well)

check out ohsheglows too, vegan but there are gluten free options listed.

any reason why you don't eat grains, oats or corn if you don't have an allergy?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Go Picnic boxes have GF options and are shelf stable.

Luna Bars are just nuts, dried fruits, and maybe some spices. YUM!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    My go to are nuts, cheese (I'm primal), veggies, avocado, scoop of coconut oil etc and I stop and have a good meal once in awhile (rib eye steak, yum). While I wouldn't recommend store-bought jerky, it CAN be made at home. Takes a little prep and drying time, but it is simple and delicious (use your own spice blend).

Dehydrator is nice, but stuff can be air dried or dried in the oven as well. (lowest heat, door just ajar, a few hours-depends on thickness of the food)

Do a search of recipes. There are many made with coconut oil that can be modified in so many ways.

You said grain free but some of us missed that. :(

I am trying really hard to be gluten free but also trying not to 'sweat the small stuff' with the hidden gluten so much. I'm doing this for health, not for something serious like celiac disease. I absolutely love coconut oil!!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    i made a homemade lara bar type of thing made from dates, unsweetened coconut, carob or semi sweet chips and a tad of vanilla, just blend it all together.

is there any way you can bring a cooler with ice packs? that way you can have string cheese, veggie strips and hummus, fruit, make green smoothies. can also make quinoa spinach patties to bring and maybe eat them on gluten free bread or in lettuce wraps (recipe on skinnytaste.com) chia pudding would also be good to make if you can bring something cool to keep it in, if not you can get something like a carton of coconut milk and just shake it up on the road

rice crispy treats made with gf brown rice crispies vanilla extract nutella agave or honey and coco powder (from chocolatecoveredkatie.com, she has some awesome recipes as well)

We're on the road for two weeks solid. So although we will have a cooler for some stuff, my snacks will not have priority in it. I do plan to take fruits/veggies, as well as stop as often as I can for those things too. Even gas stations carry apples and bananas now.

I am on an anti-inflammatory diet, so avoiding anything that causes inflammation. Grains of any kind causes that. We decided to try it for a couple weeks (husband and myself) have noticed EXTREME improvements in so many areas that we are permanently sticking with it.
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Larabars are gluten free, great thing to hold you over for awhile. You can also do like applesause and fruit cups etc.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Had to search for a second, but here's a thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/916525-road-food

non-refrigeration items: as already mentioned, fruits, dried fruits, nuts, larabars, jerkey (go to www.wellnessmama.com for how to make your own, then you'll know it's GF), her coconut muffins are good too and can keep a few days. Pork rinds.

Some other ideas:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-trail-food/#axzz2VRpXkBrs
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I love the fact even though you say grain free people still suggest cereal, puffed rice and popcorn lol- NO GRAIN remember... I realize most people have no concept of what that means- I find it humorous though!
    We are grain/gluten free as well.. I was going to suggest larabars , canned chicken and tuna, grain free granola made from toasted coconut ,dried fruit and nuts, natural gluten free jerkey,pork rinds, fruit leathers.canned fruit cups, nut butters, and things like potted meat or deviled ham if you can find one that is gluten free- not my first choice but if you need protein and have no refrigeration it may be a good option
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I am going to a 4 day convention in a couple of weeks and, being gluten/dairy free, will need to bring a lot of my own food as the options available at the venue will not sit well with my digestive system. I will be trolling here for more great ideas!

Here's one I found the other day...

Homemade Granola Bars
    ■1/2 cup honey
    ■1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
    ■1/4 cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
    ■1 teaspoon vanilla
    ■1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ■dash of kosher salt
    ■1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    ■1 cup sliced almonds
    ■1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    ■1/2 cup raisins (or chocolate chips)
    1.Preheat oven to 300. Grease a 9×13 dish and line with parchment paper, then grease parchment.
    2.In a large pot on low heat, melt together honey, butter or oil and nut butter. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
    3.Add all dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Pour into prepared dish. Press down, and flatten mixture with spatula. Try to spread into an even layer.
    4.Bake for 25-30 minutes at 300 degrees, until golden in color.
    5.Remove from oven and let sit until almost cool.
    6.Place on cutting board and cut down the center lengthwise. And cut rectangles, about 18 bars total. They will seem somewhat flimsy, so be careful.
    7.Gently place bars onto a lined sheet tray and bake again for another 7-10 minutes. This will firm them up and make the bars nice and crispy.
    8.Store in an airtight container, up to 1 week. These also freeze well for an extended period of time.
    * for peanut butter chocolate chip bars – use peanut butter in place of almond butter, replace raisins with chocolate chips, omit cinnamon and vanilla.

*for thick and chewy granola bars, double the recipe and still bake in a 9×13 dish. You will need to add baking time and bake again after cutting.
  • katmea2011
    katmea2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    graze boxs they do gluten free use this code F9Z9KRR
    www.graze.com
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    seems like a sad sad trip.

*Doritos (gluten-free version)
    *Sour Cherries (gluten-free version)
    *Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos (gluten-free version)
    *Oreos (gluten-free version)

* DISCLAIMER: It is unknown if gluten-free versions of these products exist. If not, it is recommended you consult with your trip advisor and reschedule for such a time when gluten free versions or available, or until you back off this crazy diet and take a more moderate approach.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    I love the fact even though you say grain free people still suggest cereal, puffed rice and popcorn lol- NO GRAIN remember... I realize most people have no concept of what that means- I find it humous though!
    We are grain/gluten free as well.. I was going to suggest larabars , canned chicken and tuna, grain free granola made from toasted coconut ,dried fruit and nuts, natural gluten free jerkey,pork rinds, fruit leathers.canned fruit cups, nut butters, and things like potted meator deviled ham if you can find one that is gluten free- not my first choice but if you need protein and have no refrigeration it may be a good option

It's a completely different thing than people realize. That's okay though. I'm still getting great suggestions!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    graze boxs they do gluten free use this code F9Z9KRR
    www.graze.com

Oh neat idea!
  • stadter
    stadter Posts: 13 Member
    Options

We're on the road for two weeks solid. So although we will have a cooler for some stuff, my snacks will not have priority in it. I do plan to take fruits/veggies, as well as stop as often as I can for those things too. Even gas stations carry apples and bananas now.

I am on an anti-inflammatory diet, so avoiding anything that causes inflammation. Grains of any kind causes that. We decided to try it for a couple weeks (husband and myself) have noticed EXTREME improvements in so many areas that we are permanently sticking with it.

If you're on the diet for inflammation, the dried fruit in Lara bars and some granola can be a hidden hazard. There is a blog called hungryhungryhippie.com that has some granola recipes. She usually defers though to "just use what's in your cupboard that you can eat". My go to when I travel besides nuts is those pouches of tuna or salmon that they sell now, if you like fish of course. No can opener needed and it's a change up from the usual.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Great thread! I am going to a 4 day convention in a couple of weeks and, being gluten/dairy free, will need to bring a lot of my own food as the options available at the venue will not sit well with my digestive system. I will be trolling here for more great ideas!

I'll mark that recipe! This website has had a lot of great recipes too. http://www.elanaspantry.com/

I am going to make several varieties of 'granola' bars. Lots of dark chocolate, because well, I love chocolate. I am also going to make some coconut macaroons, various dried fruits, Trader Joe's coconut strips (HEAVEN in a bag). I make a fantastic walnut, sunflower seed and cashew nut butter. And I am making my own cheese crackers, grain/gluten free of course.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are from or where you are going, but look for "The Simply Bar". You can get them in grocery stores in Canada, but I order them by the box direct from the supplier on-line and they arrive within 2 business days. They are all gluten free, and have dairy free or whey protein options, and by the way they are delish. I eat one almost every day as my afternoon/ pre-workout snack as they are packed with 16 G of protein, low insugar and easy to digest.
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    If you're on the diet for inflammation, the dried fruit in Lara bars and some granola can be a hidden hazard. There is a blog called hungryhungryhippie.com that has some granola recipes. She usually defers though to "just use what's in your cupboard that you can eat". My go to when I travel besides nuts is those pouches of tuna or salmon that they sell now, if you like fish of course. No can opener needed and it's a change up from the usual.

We'll be on the Maine/Canadian coast, so although I will probably take some seafood, I plan to get a lot of it fresh from the ocean! <3333

I've discovered some of the hidden stuff in the dried fruit and granola, now that my body is starting to acclimate. Thanks for the warning!
  • KimINfortheWin
    Options
    Not sure where you are from or where you are going, but look for "The Simply Bar". You can get them in grocery stores in Canada, but I order them by the box direct from the supplier on-line and they arrive within 2 business days. They are all gluten free, and have dairy free or whey protein options, and by the way they are delish. I eat one almost every day as my afternoon/ pre-workout snack as they are packed with 16 G of protein, low insugar and easy to digest.

We'll be in Canada, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for part of our journey. I'll look them up! Thanks!