NSV - squats off the squat rack in the big kids' weight room

Options
MFP friends: I've been mustering the courage for a year to step into the squat rack/cage thing and give it a shot. I have been super-intimidated, mostly because it's such a commitment. Dumb bells can be taken into a corner. Bench presses are off to the side and you're lying down, so no one's watching you. But the squat cage is the center of attention. Anyway ... it's an important component to my plan, and today ... I did it!!

I put hardly any weight on it, which is good because I accidentally rested the stupid bar on my spine the first time, lol! But then I adjusted the bar back properly and added weight for sets 2 and 3, and I am now a bit tight (soon to be sore) in some new but appropriate-feeling areas. :smiley:

Very pleased and encouraged to step back in next time! And then, when I'm an old pro ... I'll try dead lifts. ;)

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    This made me smile. Good NSV
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Good for you!! I totally understand the feeling of being intimidated and nervous with the squat rack. It definitely is very important though, so I'm glad you finally did it! Keep calm and squat on! :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You'll never go back.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Right now I squat with just the bar, but I'm looking forward to adding weight soon! Even with low weight, I feel like a beast when I'm using the squat rack!
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Just never use it for curls.
  • AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great to read. I'm trying to work up the courage myself too even go into the free weight section. Going to try for a less busy time and give it a go soon. Gulp!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I literally googled squats for months. It's hard to just do it. But once you do it, you belong there. The weight room was something I tackled last year. Now I don't feel uncomfortable in the room. I don't make eye contact too much, though, lol ... I'm just there to do a job - like everybody else. You can do it!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the power rack. Hope your glutes and hamstrings feel better soon! :D
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    ^^ I think I might just take some Motrin tonight in case. But I'm drinking and watching football, so ... Ugh. I didn't plan this well.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    even my fingers are sore this morning lol...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Congrats :) When I first tried bench pressing I mistakenly put 50lbs onto the bar......... yeah I called out for help ASAP loool.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »

From squatting? May want to review your grip. Hands shouldn't hurt doing a thumbless grip.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Well I did all my upper body stuff yesterday so it could be other things ... but I'm acutely aware that I am sore from tip to toe. Now that you say that though I think I was wrapping my thumb around. I will watch that!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Good job, it's important to continue to grow by trying new things.

To be fair though, no the squat rack/power cage is not the center of attention.

Once you get some heavy weight on that bar though, you'll realize how right you are by thinking there's a lot of commitment in the squat. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »

How are you holding the bar? you don't need a full grip.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    yeah, I think I did it wrong. I'll adjust that for the next time!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Congrats :) When I first tried bench pressing I mistakenly put 50lbs onto the bar......... yeah I called out for help ASAP loool.

LOL ... my bar looked so cute with a little ten pounder on each end. ;)
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just got the Starting Strength book, and I'm learning as much as I'm able before I can work up the courage like you have! :)