Does anyone not buy "lower-calorie" options?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm not the crazy people on Instagram putting calorie-free syrup on cucumber slices, I think I'm okay. B)

Dear God....is this really a thing? Do people actually do this?

I regretfully inform you...

tumblr_mckuv6Bl1y1qgeygd.jpg

That has to be one of the grossest things I've ever seen. I love cucumbers, and I love syrup, but trying to imagine what they taste like together makes me want to gag. It's funny that they tried to style the photo to make it look appetizing. Someone set up that picture and thought "If I snap the photo while the syrup is dripping off of the cucumber, it'll look more appetizing...."

*shudders*

I don't want to derail the thread, so I guess I'll answer the OP -I don't buy a lot of diet or low-cal stuff, because the real stuff tastes better. I buy full-fat dairy and mayo. I do drink diet soda if I want soda, simply because I don't like to drink my calories, except for beer. I don't do light beer. I really like to enjoy my beer, so if I know I'll be having a beer or two, I'll find a way to work it into my day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't typically buy things that are advertised as being low cal, low fat, diet, etc because a lot of times they are just replacing those things with something else that is probably worse for you. But it's not always the case. I just look at the ingredients before making a choice
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mostly not, but for a few items I do - I typically buy "light" salad dressings (ETA: 90% of the time I make my own salad dressings, any store-bought is the once in awhile that I use ranch or bleu cheese) and mayo, just because you save SO many calories on those without sacrificing much taste at all. But those are the only things I purposefully buy "light" versions of to save calories. I'm not afraid of dietary fat - full-fat cheese/cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.

There are also a few things that I buy the "light" version of because I genuinely prefer the taste (skim milk, Diet Coke) and/or there is another nutritional advantage (ex: I buy the 100 calorie English muffins and the Chobani 100 Greek yogurt not to save calories but because of the extra fiber/lower carbs on those - I'm not low carb at all but carbs are where I tend to go over - plus, I do like the way they taste just fine).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm not the crazy people on Instagram putting calorie-free syrup on cucumber slices, I think I'm okay. B)

Dear God....is this really a thing? Do people actually do this?

I regretfully inform you...

tumblr_mckuv6Bl1y1qgeygd.jpg

YUCK.

I do also use light mayo (which is maybe once a month). The taste difference just isn't worth the extra calories for me. Better save them for chocolate or ice cream.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I don't buy low cal or light anything. I cook from scratch mostly and am vegan.

Snap, except for the vegan bit. I used to buy skim milk, but I don't really eat cereal anymore, and I hate skim milk in coffee, and we buy whole for the kids, so now I drink it too. If I'm out and get a cappuccino or a latte I will get it skinny, although full fat tastes better, but I don't want to waste that many calories.

I buy low fat natural yogurt, but that's about it for low fat.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat. Lots of it. The good stuff.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I don't buy things because they are low calorie, low fat, low sugar etc.
    I buy them because I like the taste or I don't buy them because I don't like the taste.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of full calorie, full fat options. I just eat less of them.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Spam light is objectively superior to Spam original, regular almond milk is too sweet for my taste (while dairy milk just tastes bad) and I can't imagine why anyone drinks non-diet soda.

I also rather like low-fat cheese on its own, but it doesn't work as well for melting or in recipes.

I dunno, I don't think of it as "diet" food, just as food.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think it depends. I utilize several lower calorie options and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I actually had a lot of fun finding things that I enjoyed just as much if not more than my old favorites. There were some things that I was using all the time and just could not justify wasting such a huge amount of calories on, like mayo and margarine. I use greek yogurt ranch instead of whatever I was using before (& like it 10,000x more), vanilla almond milk, PB2, 45 calories per slice wheat bread, ground turkey, & Dreyer's slow-churned rocky road, which is my absolutely favorite ice cream. I also drink diet soda if I want soda, which was a switch I was kind of forced into when my dad was diagnosed with diabetes and that's all that was in the house.

But, I use regular half & half for my coffee, if I need sugar for something I use normal sugar, I eat normal Lays potato chips (I just buy them in the individual bags), etc. etc.

You don't have to give up flavor, texture, whatever for low-cal options. If you want to find delicious lower calorie options for things, they are out there you just have to look for them and try a lot until you find what you like. If you don't look/try, you won't find, & that's okay too. To each his own.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The only time I buy low calorie or low fat is if it is something I like the taste of or if it is on sale or something, but generally no. You do not need to to lose weight.
  • KaiY2K
    Options
    I don't usually buy low fat options, unless it's something I think I shouldn't be eating anyways haha.

I always drink whole milk and I have also read a lot of studies on it recently. There is a debate going on about whole milk vs. Skim because a study showed kids on whole milk tended to be at a healthier weight. Apparently this was because of the increased fat content, so people aren't as hungry after so they can end up eating less calories. Also calcium, vitamin A and D are fat soluble so if you are drinking a low fat milk it is harder for the body to absorb it. Plus whole milk has more than double good cholesterol than skim.
    Of course skims counter is that it is less calories.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ...HOW MANY calories you eat determines your weight. The NUTRITIONAL MAKE-UP of those calories determines health.

OMG. YES. THIS STATEMENT.
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I mainly eat full fat, except for mince and mayo - prefer the taste.

It's so hard to find full fat yogurt in supermarkets...