Brutally Honest 6 Reasons you are Still Overfat

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I appreciate how he starts off whining about how other people have made money repackaging existing fads and then posts this whole regurgitated tough-love tirade that's been around the block fifty times already. That's not sarcasm - he's telling you the game plan right from the start. I hope he profits from all the re-posts. It's twice on FB and a few times here already.
    <slow clap>
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    For someone who talks so much about self improvement, he sure makes no attempt at improving his lackluster grammar and writing skills. Seriously, every other word does not have to be a swear.

"If the end point is in your sights I am telling you right now that you will not be successful in the long term. If you have an end date in mind you are already f***ed."

This is easily the biggest problem with what he wrote. Every great plan BEGINS with the end goal. Then the planner splits the end goal into smaller achievable smaller goals. For example:

End goal: I want to learn German.
    Mini goal 1: I need to learn nouns, adjectives, verbs...
    Mini goal 2: I need to learn common phrases
    Mini goal 3: I need to learn sentence structures
    so on and so forth.

No idiot would start randomly by saying, "Hey, I'm just going to learn German sentence structures and see what happens..." It has to start with the end goal.

Example number 2:

End goal: I want to be fit.
    Mini goal1: I need to eat healthier.
    MIni goal 2: I need to lift weights.
    Mini goal 3:I need to work on mobility.

So yeah, this guy, a bit too over the top. He talks like everything is a constant improvement until we die. That is not true. By the age of 26 I plan on being at my peak athleticism. By 50, I will easily be significantly weaker and slower. I am not improving anymore at that point. I don't plan on it either. I have an end point in sight, and using words he likes to use, he can go **** himself for telling me otherwise.

what do you mean you aren't in constant improvement till you die?

Well you go ahead and accept the fact you've peaked- I'm going to continue to try to be better than I was yesterday.

For the rest of my life.

Which is why I'll fail.

And I'll struggle.
    And in the end- I'll be more successful and I'll be better at everything I do than you will.

But it's okay- you can accept defeat. No one HAS to do anything that they don't want to.

But I'll take 'over the top' to 'mediocre under the top' any day.
    Under the top *sometimes* finishes.

Over the top gets things done.

JoRocka, this reply is perfect, just so perfect.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    For someone who talks so much about self improvement, he sure makes no attempt at improving his lackluster grammar and writing skills. Seriously, every other word does not have to be a swear.

"If the end point is in your sights I am telling you right now that you will not be successful in the long term. If you have an end date in mind you are already f***ed."

This is easily the biggest problem with what he wrote. Every great plan BEGINS with the end goal. Then the planner splits the end goal into smaller achievable smaller goals. For example:

so on and so forth.

No idiot would start randomly by saying, "Hey, I'm just going to learn German sentence structures and see what happens..." It has to start with the end goal.

Example number 2:

So yeah, this guy, a bit too over the top. He talks like everything is a constant improvement until we die. That is not true. By the age of 26 I plan on being at my peak athleticism. By 50, I will easily be significantly weaker and slower. I am not improving anymore at that point. I don't plan on it either. I have an end point in sight, and using words he likes to use, he can go **** himself for telling me otherwise.

Well you go ahead and accept the fact you've peaked- I'm going to continue to try to be better than I was yesterday.

For the rest of my life.

Which is why I'll fail.

And I'll struggle.
    And in the end- I'll be more successful and I'll be better at everything I do than you will.

But it's okay- you can accept defeat. No one HAS to do anything that they don't want to.

I like this. I like this a lot.
    Look, the article isn't going to appeal to everyone, especially for those whom bluntness and harsh truth doesn't work for. Which is OK, people respond to different things in different ways. If I had read this article 4-5 years ago, it would have made me livid/made me cry and I probably would have given up, again. But now that I've admitted most of the points in that article to myself, I can see the truth in it. And sometimes I need reminders of what's important, so I liked reading the article today.

And I personally like to view myself as being in a state of constant improvement, or at least constant evolution. I think people should.
    I'm a different person at almost 30 than I was at 25, than I was at 20. I'm wiser, stronger, and I only want to get more so. Especially as I lose more weight and more parts of life open up for me. It's not about peaking and then declining.

I am a member of the tough love group, just from a different perspective than some of you. My philosophy is do it now or else you won't be able to do it later. Age is the only 100% definite obstacle that will end your goals at some point. Accept that your body will break down at some point, and use that as motiviation. It is best to reach your maximum potential as soon as you can and enjoy it. Whether you reach it at 20, 30, 40, or 50, it doesn't matter...as long as you reach it. But do not expect that you will maintain it past a certain point. My goal, because I started a few years ago, is to reach it in my late 20's. I wouldn't be happy if I went decade after decade unable to say to myself, "I am the best version of myself I can be." I don't want to be lying to myself when I am 50 trying to play basketball against 20 year olds saying, "Well I am just as fit as any of you guys!" I want to be able to say it and mean it...and I believe I will be able to in my late 20s. If it happens a bit later, then it does, but I want it to happen at a specific time.

This philosophy has nothing to do with my mind and overall health. Two two I plan on keeping at their peak until I die. ONLY my athleticism. Some people don't seem to recognize there is a difference between health and athleticism...
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can deal with tough love, but it has to come from me. If anyone else tries it on me they're likely to get a dissertation on what is wrong with them. I can be a bit of snot sometimes!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

so on and so forth.

Example number 2:

For the rest of my life.

Which is why I'll fail.

And I'll struggle.

I will accept that time will age my body, but aging is not defeat. I will hope to improve my mind and healthy my entire life, but my fitness surely will not. It is asinine for anyone to expect that their body will not slow down as they age. My goal is to peak while in my late 20s (I am not there yet so I never said I think that I've peaked) and enjoy the ride after that. Once I can no longer lift and play basketball and feel myself getting stronger, it isn't worth my time to concentrate on athletic fitness. Once I am past my 20s and 30s and into my 50's I'll worry about overall health and move on from how much I can bench/squat/deadlift.

Go ahead and think you'll be more successful than me athletically, I don't particularly care what you think.

You, my friend, are invited to be as mediocre as you want for the rest of your life.
    And no one will care but you.

JoRocka, this reply is perfect, just so perfect.

@deliahhhhhhhhh and @emily_stew‌ thank you- :)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options

so on and so forth.

Example number 2:

For the rest of my life.

Which is why I'll fail.

And I'll struggle.

I will accept that time will age my body, but aging is not defeat. I will hope to improve my mind and healthy my entire life, but my fitness surely will not. It is asinine for anyone to expect that their body will not slow down as they age. My goal is to peak while in my late 20s (I am not there yet so I never said I think that I've peaked) and enjoy the ride after that. Once I can no longer lift and play basketball and feel myself getting stronger, it isn't worth my time to concentrate on athletic fitness. Once I am past my 20s and 30s and into my 50's I'll worry about overall health and move on from how much I can bench/squat/deadlift.

Go ahead and think you'll be more successful than me athletically, I don't particularly care what you think.

You, my friend, are invited to be as mediocre as you want for the rest of your life.
    And no one will care but you.

You should be a bit less brash. You don't even know me.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options

so on and so forth.

Example number 2:

I think he meant that if you see an end you are seeing a temporary diet or fitness plan which will lead to eventual failure. I personally think this is true. If you diet and exercise then revert to the habits that got you overweight and out of shape, you are pretty much bound to end up back where you started.

• uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    radmack wrote: »

so on and so forth.

Example number 2:

I think he meant that if you see an end you are seeing a temporary diet or fitness plan which will lead to eventual failure. I personally think this is true. If you diet and exercise then revert to the habits that got you overweight and out of shape, you are pretty much bound to end up back where you started.

Possibly, I just don't think he worded it properly. He shouldn't say that you're ****ed if you have an end date in mind.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited February 2015
    Options

One of the greatest athletes of all time. This is the last point of his career. At the age of 39 he accepted that his body could no longer perform at an elite level. He retired with one of the longest standing ovations of all time and a smile on his face. At the age of 39, he was well past his peak athleticism and fitness, and was as happy as he could be. He is now a billionare with a successful buisness. Athleticism is no longer important.

This is my role model. Someone who can be the best athlete imaginable while he is young, and move on to another chapter of his life as he gets older. He never failed. He never was, as an above poster put it, mediocre. He just aged, and he accepted that. His mind never stopped growing and he still takes care of himself, he just doesn't concern himself with overall athleticism.
  • erinm5
    erinm5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump for daily inspiration
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Possibly, I just don't think he worded it properly. He shouldn't say that you're ****ed if you have an end date in mind.

I think he meant end date for a goal, not an end goal. It can be a problem if some is h*llbent on "I will lose 20 pounds by spring break. I will lose 40 pounds by June." I can see how that leads to an everything all at once mindset that results in a big initial jump then a crash, or just giving up altogether when they realize they're on track to lose 20 pounds by June instead.
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I dunno; I lost 2 and a half pounds OFF all exercise and diet all this past summer and fall due to a long episode of Status Migraine. Since I lost without trying, is that to my credit? Or because I threw up a lot?

;)

I am back on, and dropped two more in 11 days. That's to my credit.

I really can't say one way or the other. I know a girl who has both weight and cancer. Should I critique her motivation? (I would get kicked out of several Facebook groups and maybe kicked off Facebook for that! And she is VERY motivated, BTW. To "get healthy." In other words, to live.)

So, it doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, equally. I was a college professor for many years; I didn't treat students equally. From some, I demanded more. Because I knew they could do more, and weren't trying enough. Others tried so hard for goals they were never going to reach. I didn't stop them, but I didn't push.

rjm
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There are probably other ways of being brutally honest that will resonate for a lot of people. His message is pretty good, but I think his approach will only appeal to the converted. Those he is attempting to reach won't want to hear/read it.

Agree.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I've been having a rough 2 months or so and I needed to hear/read some of that! :)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I totally agree with him. I have no issues with his language. I wouldn't say that to someone else but I certainly say it to myself. I know I read some things in this forum where it seems people aren't accepting responsibility for their bodies and how they got fat. Or why they don't seem to be losing weight. He basically said what a lot of us think when we read those kinds of comments or complaints. It made me remember a post a few months ago where a woman complained that she couldn't eat wings AND drink beer while rooting on her team at the bar and still stay within her calorie goals for the day. She said she was soooo stressed out and upset and would feel like an idiot ordering a salad at a sports bar... I remember reading it and immediately wishing I could unread it because it was such a complete waste of a few seconds of my life to read such rubbish. In fact, I'm now wasting more time talking about it, lol.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Although I do agree with his points, I don't find myself gravitating towards that approach. Even though I'm the first to poke "personal responsibility" at excuses, I hate it when people bring up other situations with worse problems, but that does not make our problems any less of an obstacle. Telling someone with a broken leg that there are people without legs does not make it any less painful. The trick is to recognize the problem and try to come up with strategies that work to overcome it. Shouting "deal with it" deals with nothing.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

One of the greatest athletes of all time. This is the last point of his career. At the age of 39 he accepted that his body could no longer perform at an elite level. He retired with one of the longest standing ovations of all time and a smile on his face. At the age of 39, he was well past his peak athleticism and fitness, and was as happy as he could be. He is now a billionare with a successful buisness. Athleticism is no longer important.

This is my role model. Someone who can be the best athlete imaginable while he is young, and move on to another chapter of his life as he gets older. He never failed. He never was, as an above poster put it, mediocre. He just aged, and he accepted that. His mind never stopped growing and he still takes care of himself, he just doesn't concern himself with overall athleticism.

Hmmm, interesting. I'm a huge bball fan that sees MJ a bit differently than you have described. This is off-topic but I recall my BFF (MJ was her fave player) feeling like he should have retired sooner than that and kind of soiled his legacy by signing with Washington. He should have played his last game as a Bull when they beat Utah in the Finals in 1998 (if memory serves me).

Back on-topic... I agree that having continued goals (for life) is the way to go (for me, anyway). I have done a lot of soul-searching and analyzing of why I failed to keep weight off previously. The reason I keep coming up with is that I didn't continue to challenge myself. That is, if you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards. I think that life in maintenance is different from weightloss only in that the calorie intake is different. All of the things that made me successful and motivated during weight loss have to continue into maintenance forever for me to be successful. That's also what I think the trainer was saying in his own special way, lol.

I don't think you and the person you're debating are that far apart in the way you both think about this. I think the missing piece is that, as you age, your goals are "different". If you're 20 and you want to do a triathlon 6 times a years, that may be doable. If you're 80, probably not a good idea (although I have seem some 70-somethings out there killing it...). I agree with your adversary that always having goals is the key to success.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    Options
    I will always have goals, just not goals to improve my athleticism. It is silly to expect your body to forever improve in that category. Hence why I repeated over and over that my philosophy only applied to my athleticism goals and why I set a definite timeline for them. I am not "f***ed" as the blog says I am just because I have a time goal. I am not mediocre either, just because some random girl decided to try and internet muscle me out of an argument.