Brutally Honest 6 Reasons you are Still Overfat

Options
http://strengthcoachtaylor.ca/uncategorized/the-brutally-honest-6-reasons-you-are-still-overfat/

Warning: Language!

I have no idea who this guy is, but this piece resonated with me and I thought others here would like it. Here's #1 for a taste:
----
The 2 Minute Rule

In a mere two minutes I can tell you if someone will be successful in their quest for a leaner physique. And two minutes is being safe. It is probably closer to about 30 seconds. And this applies not just to fat loss but also to the rest of your health and fitness goals.

If you blame yourself – success. If you blame everything else – no success. Period.

When I first talk to people I am not listening to the details of their health, fitness, and nutrition. That stuff is pretty irrelevant and I am going to be changing it all anyway. All I want to know is whether a person takes responsibility for themselves or if they blame everything and everyone else.

You haven’t been successful because you made bad decisions. You ordered a pizza on a Tuesday night. You surfed Pinterest for an hour instead of heading to the gym to train. You bought a tub of ice cream to ‘have a treat’ while watching Downton Abbey (confession: I love Downton Abbey).

VS.

My significant other brought home pizza so I had that for supper. I had to respond to my friends third cousins post on Facebook to debunk the anti-vaccination people and that is why I skipped my workout. Everyone brought donuts to work to ‘indulge’ while we sat around and talked about Downton Abbey.

See the difference? I made the decision. THEY all MADE me do it.

You are responsible for yourself. Either take responsibility for your own life and actions or blame everyone else and everything else around. I really don’t give a s--t. Honestly. I don’t care. Because I am over here living my own life that isn’t affected by you. And that is why I am successful.

So make a decision. Take care of your own life or sit around bitching how hard everything is and how everything is someone else’s fault.

It’s your life.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good advice. Rest of the article is spot on also.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness that wasn't true in my case. When I was double the woman I am now, I honestly thought my metabolism was broken. And it's true I can gain weight at a rate that astounds people. Then I started calorie counting and realized how many calories I ate every single day. No damn wonder! Sometimes a little information can shift the blame where it belongs.
  • TamS2015
    TamS2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump. Want to be able to read this again
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Good points. Especially #6. Every bit of success we have in anything in life starts with our attitudes.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Great read! Absolutely loved every single point he made. Thanks for sharing, OP.

55835802.png
  • emjayne10
    emjayne10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Bump

Great article.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There are probably other ways of being brutally honest that will resonate for a lot of people. His message is pretty good, but I think his approach will only appeal to the converted. Those he is attempting to reach won't want to hear/read it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    There are probably other ways of being brutally honest that will resonate for a lot of people. His message is pretty good, but I think his approach will only appeal to the converted. Those he is attempting to reach won't want to hear/read it.

I think this is probably true. A year ago I wouldn't have cared what he said at all. It only resonates with me now because I know, from my experience, that he's right.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Most people only hear what they want to hear.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I agree with the entire article. Should be required reading for anyone trying to lose weight.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well it does make it harder when you have someone who isnt supportive around you that encourages you to be self destructive but only YOU are responsible for your weight loss. Eventually people respect your decisions.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I need to read things like that often. Yeah it's harsh, but it's all true for me.

In fact, I'm going to bookmark it and I'm going to read it every damned day.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For someone who talks so much about self improvement, he sure makes no attempt at improving his lackluster grammar and writing skills. Seriously, every other word does not have to be a swear.

"If the end point is in your sights I am telling you right now that you will not be successful in the long term. If you have an end date in mind you are already f***ed."

This is easily the biggest problem with what he wrote. Every great plan BEGINS with the end goal. Then the planner splits the end goal into smaller achievable smaller goals. For example:

End goal: I want to learn German.
    Mini goal 1: I need to learn nouns, adjectives, verbs...
    Mini goal 2: I need to learn common phrases
    Mini goal 3: I need to learn sentence structures
    so on and so forth.

No idiot would start randomly by saying, "Hey, I'm just going to learn German sentence structures and see what happens..." It has to start with the end goal.

Example number 2:

End goal: I want to be fit.
    Mini goal1: I need to eat healthier.
    MIni goal 2: I need to lift weights.
    Mini goal 3:I need to work on mobility.

So yeah, this guy, a bit too over the top. He talks like everything is a constant improvement until we die. That is not true. By the age of 26 I plan on being at my peak athleticism. By 50, I will easily be significantly weaker and slower. I am not improving anymore at that point. I don't plan on it either. I have an end point in sight, and using words he likes to use, he can go **** himself for telling me otherwise.
  • peachcheeks2000
    peachcheeks2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. :smile:
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "If the end point is in your sights I am telling you right now that you will not be successful in the long term. If you have an end date in mind you are already f***ed."

This is easily the biggest problem with what he wrote. Every great plan BEGINS with the end goal. Then the planner splits the end goal into smaller achievable smaller goals. For example:

so on and so forth.

No idiot would start randomly by saying, "Hey, I'm just going to learn German sentence structures and see what happens..." It has to start with the end goal.

Example number 2:

So yeah, this guy, a bit too over the top. He talks like everything is a constant improvement until we die. That is not true. By the age of 26 I plan on being at my peak athleticism. By 50, I will easily be significantly weaker and slower. I am not improving anymore at that point. I don't plan on it either. I have an end point in sight, and using words he likes to use, he can go **** himself for telling me otherwise.

I think there he is talking to people who, like myself so many times in the past, make short term plans for health and weight loss instead of seeing it as a permanent lifestyle change. So many times I've lost weight in a way that isn't sustainable, I just was looking at an end goal. But as we all know, this isn't something that has an end goal as such.

Yes, the goal may be getting to a certain weight or level of fitness and then we attain it, but those things are not sustainable unless we keep it up once we've got to that place. Sure, once I've reached my goal weight I won't need to keep going. But I will need to maintain it and that is, personally, my biggest obstacle and the only answer is viewing this is a life time thing, not just something I'm going to do until I reach that goal. That is what I think he meant by that :smile:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I wanna give Coach Taylor a high five.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just finished the article. I think I love this man <3
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For someone who talks so much about self improvement, he sure makes no attempt at improving his lackluster grammar and writing skills. Seriously, every other word does not have to be a swear.

so on and so forth.

Example number 2:

what do you mean you aren't in constant improvement till you die?

Well you go ahead and accept the fact you've peaked- I'm going to continue to try to be better than I was yesterday.

For the rest of my life.

Which is why I'll fail.

And I'll struggle.
    And in the end- I'll be more successful and I'll be better at everything I do than you will.

But it's okay- you can accept defeat. No one HAS to do anything that they don't want to.

But I'll take 'over the top' to 'mediocre under the top' any day.
    Under the top *sometimes* finishes.

Over the top gets things done.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

so on and so forth.

Example number 2:

what do you mean you aren't in constant improvement till you die?

Well you go ahead and accept the fact you've peaked- I'm going to continue to try to be better than I was yesterday.

For the rest of my life.

Which is why I'll fail.

And I'll struggle.
    And in the end- I'll be more successful and I'll be better at everything I do than you will.

But it's okay- you can accept defeat. No one HAS to do anything that they don't want to.

But I'll take 'over the top' to 'mediocre under the top' any day.
    Under the top *sometimes* finishes.

Over the top gets things done.

I will accept that time will age my body, but aging is not defeat. I will hope to improve my mind and healthy my entire life, but my fitness surely will not. It is asinine for anyone to expect that their body will not slow down as they age. My goal is to peak while in my late 20s (I am not there yet so I never said I think that I've peaked) and enjoy the ride after that. Once I can no longer lift and play basketball and feel myself getting stronger, it isn't worth my time to concentrate on athletic fitness. Once I am past my 20s and 30s and into my 50's I'll worry about overall health and move on from how much I can bench/squat/deadlift.

Go ahead and think you'll be more successful than me athletically, I don't particularly care what you think.