Anyone using anything to help lose weight, shakes, teas, caffeine, ect?

Options

Replies

• lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great ideas :smile:
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use advocare mns3. I have PCOS and it's hard for me to loss weight. This product has helped me control cravings and keep from being hungry all the time. Also the probiotics in it have helped me feel better too.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    As others have said calories in calories out. The main thing is to find a way of maintaining a moderate calorie deficit long enough to lose the amount of weight you need to and working into your life in a way that won't make you miserable. People on here will give you plenty of tips and tricks about how to do this but I can guaratee for the majority of the long-term successful ones it won't involve fat burners or any gimicks.

I drink green tea because I enjoy it, I take protein shakes to hit my protein macro some days and I drink caffinated beverages or take caffiene to keep me alert and occassionaly for an extra boost in my workout. I'm not pretending that any of these have magical weight loss properties though - they don't.

Best comes to terms with the fact that there IS no magical weightloss supplement and accept the fat that if you want to do this properly you're in it for the long haul.

Good luck
    This ^ It doesn't take much to lose weight, calorie deficit and some exercise, people are always looking for shortcuts, they will not happen!

• kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I take a multivitamin every morning. This and plenty of water through out the day helps me manage my appetite and stick to my MFP calorie allowance. I've also discovered that high protein / high fiber meals/snacks keep me fuller for longer - I know what quest bars are now!
  • LongTallSally76
    LongTallSally76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Weight loss shakes contain more calories than the delicious meals I make at home (well, my husband makes at home. He does most of the cooking!). I feel much fuller eating a small plate of good food than I do drinking a sickly processed shake. I think I am more likely to teach myself to make a lifestyle choice longer term eating real food too. How do people manage their weight once they come off a fad shake diet?
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I'm not looking for a magical weight loss, when I lost the weight I went to the gym twice a day everyday
    That's excessive & unhealthy. You need to find a gay psychic (happy medium).
    And yes, it seems you are looking for "a magical weight loss", asking about shakes, teas, etc.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

When I started last year, I used an appetite suppressant to control my hunger while I learned to eat normal-sized portions. It didn't lose the weight for me, just made it possible for me to eat right. It reset my hunger from always on to normal, which is a miracle. The first couple days I couldn't believe that I wasn't hungry. I never remember that happening before.

But the weight loss I've managed has been done the only way that it ever happens:
    eating less than my body burns.
    Control calories in, increase calories out.
    when I originally lost 65lbs to begin with I was using the help of Alli and a fat burner you can buy from target, however I am starting over
    So instead of learning to eat healthfully you chose to have fat feces and waste money on a placebo, and (not surprisingly) it didn't work long-term.
    Since you're starting over, how about learning something about nutrition, a healthy goal weight, a healthy calorie goal, a healthy amount of exercise... things that you can continue the rest of your life?

More helpful info, also linked to in that post ^^^

A guide to get you started on your path to sexypants

The basics - don't complicate it

51637601.png

I don't think you should judge me, I know much about health and nutrition. If you read my post previously I said I gained the weight back because I stopped exercising and counting calories, I had a lot on my plate after and during graduation. I do have a gym membership and Alli was prescribed by my MD. Yes I did asked about a fat burner because I know a lot of people use them for energy....perhaps this post should not have been posted and I should have kept to myself. I understand what you're saying, honestly it was a simple question whether people used protein shakes, detox, ect. No need to make me feel as is.

No need to get so defensive about your post. People are just trying to answer your question. If you know so much about health and nutrition then you'd know that nothing but calories in/calories out, etc. works long term. Also, Alli is not prescribed by MDs, it's over the counter and many MDs were suggesting it since it was approved by the FDA. There are side-effects that are unpleasant and at worst Alli can cause kidney damage.

The name that doctors prescribe it under is Orlistat, please do your research prior. Would you like to call my doctor too?

FYI, you're the one who said that you were using Alli -- which is the 60mg version of Orlistat (120mg) which is doctor prescribed.
    when I originally lost 65lbs to begin with I was using the help of Alli and a fat burner you can buy from target, however I am starting over. . .

I wish you good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Weight loss shakes contain more calories than the delicious meals I make at home (well, my husband makes at home. He does most of the cooking!). I feel much fuller eating a small plate of good food than I do drinking a sickly processed shake. I think I am more likely to teach myself to make a lifestyle choice longer term eating real food too. How do people manage their weight once they come off a fad shake diet?

Personally, I do not consider what I do a "fad shake diet". I consider it a supplement, no different than taking a vitamin, because I do not feel like I get everything I need in my food. And, I don't really like to eat breakfast, and my mornings start very early and with little time to spare. Basically, a breakfast shake (I mix the regular shake with boost greens drink) with a vitamin is good for me for various reasons. But thank you for judging . . . .
  • lizalmp1234
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »

Personally, I do not consider what I do a "fad shake diet". I consider it a supplement, no different than taking a vitamin, because I do not feel like I get everything I need in my food. And, I don't really like to eat breakfast, and my mornings start very early and with little time to spare. Basically, a breakfast shake (I mix the regular shake with boost greens drink) with a vitamin is good for me for various reasons. But thank you for judging . . . .

I have to agree with you, I think there are just a lot of judgmental and negativity in these forums. I have been a member since 2011 and I've never seen it like this....it's probably best not to reply to the post and leave it as is.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use exercise and MFP to track my food.

ETA: this should definitely not be in the "success stories" forum...

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I make myself a smoothie for breakfast every day and it has helped so much with keeping me full until lunch. I used to get so famished! I've even tried like full omelettes in the morning and I would be so hungry by like 10am. Anyways, basically this has been something that's really been good at keeping my calorie goals!
  • lizalmp1234
    Options
    kducky22 wrote: »
    I make myself a smoothie for breakfast every day and it has helped so much with keeping me full until lunch. I used to get so famished! I've even tried like full omelettes in the morning and I would be so hungry by like 10am. Anyways, basically this has been something that's really been good at keeping my calorie goals!

I do the same as well, It helps when I'm in a rush, plus you can put any veggies or fruits you want.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Before I started drinking a shake every morning, all I wanted was coffee with something sweet (little packets of cookies or a pastry). The calorie count wasn't too bad, but it was empty calories. And it set me down a path to craving sweets and junk all day. I think my shake of choice satisfies the sweet urge first thing, but doesn't send me spiraling. Plus, I think the added vitamins and nutrients also helps to reduce cravings. Did you know sugar cravings can be caused by certain vitamin deficiencies (among other things of course)? And, it is just a drink, much like my coffee used to be. But, I don't drink coffee or soda anymore.
  • lizalmp1234
    Options
    Before I started drinking a shake every morning, all I wanted was coffee with something sweet (little packets of cookies or a pastry). The calorie count wasn't too bad, but it was empty calories. And it set me down a path to craving sweets and junk all day. I think my shake of choice satisfies the sweet urge first thing, but doesn't send me spiraling. Plus, I think the added vitamins and nutrients also helps to reduce cravings. Did you know sugar cravings can be caused by certain vitamin deficiencies (among other things of course)? And, it is just a drink, much like my coffee used to be. But, I don't drink coffee or soda anymore.

Yea i had to stop the soda as well, i do fruit and veggie shakes and smoothies and when i do go to the gym i do whey protein. It helps me alot. I know a ton of people who swear by it and they look great. We will get there soon enough :smiley:
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Liz, you said so yourself that you only gained the weight back because you stopped working out and eating right. Just do that again without "fat burners". You are beautiful and can do it just like anybody else can. I use protein shakes not to lose weight but to make sure I get enough protein by the end of the day. Good luck =)
  • lizalmp1234
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Liz, you said so yourself that you only gained the weight back because you stopped working out and eating right. Just do that again without "fat burners". You are beautiful and can do it just like anybody else can. I use protein shakes not to lose weight but to make sure I get enough protein by the end of the day. Good luck =)

Thank you, I appreciate that :smile: yea I'm doing the whole routine of working out and eating right. Let's keep at it
  • tlarabee
    tlarabee Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been reading all these post, wow, calories in calories out and you will lose, eat healthy, don't bother with pills, everyone has a way of doing weight loss. which is right, which is wrong. Only you can tell for yourself. I have been eating what I want, and by this website way below my normal 1200 calories a day, I have been going to the gym since the first of Jan at least 3 times a week, doing anywhere from 30-60 min of cardio, and then some (not over the top) weights. So I have a big calorie deficit . I will be 100% honest, in the month of Jan I have lost 2lbs, but what I have noticed and a lot of my friends is that I'm toning up. I don't want to be a body builder I just want to look good and feel good. Figured in time the weight will slowly start to fall off and get caught up to all the toning I'm doing. I can't say not to bother with something that helps give you energy, or curves your appetite because I do use something that helps me control my snacking. I wish you the best of luck, follow your heart and your gut and do what you think is best for you.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Coffee wakes me up after work so that I can hit the gym. I usually drink black iced coffee or hot coffee with sugar free flavoring.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    See I think what we have here is simply a question of perception. One person says they drink a protein shake, not to lose weight but to make sure they get enough protein by the end of the day. I say I drink a protein shake to lose weight. Part of me losing weight is making sure I get the protein and vital nutrients I need to avert cravings and reach my protein goals by the end of the day. I don't get the bias. Is it JUST because I say weight loss and you say protein?
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    IN = OUT
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    See I think what we have here is simply a question of perception. One person says they drink a protein shake, not to lose weight but to make sure they get enough protein by the end of the day. I say I drink a protein shake to lose weight. Part of me losing weight is making sure I get the protein and vital nutrients I need to avert cravings and reach my protein goals by the end of the day. I don't get the bias. Is it JUST because I say weight loss and you say protein?

There is often (but not always) a difference between the makeup of shakes marketed as protein shakes or WPI or WPC and weightloss shakes. Odly enough the weightloss shakes seem to have a lot more crap in them that is detrimental to weight loss. There is also a difference between supplementing a mostly whole food diet with whey and using shakes to replace whole meals in terms of satiety, micro nutrients and being a long-term strategy for weight loss/maintenance IMHO.

Your approach sounds like pretty much the same thing as supplementing protein coined in different terms

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!