AVOCADO!!!

Replies

• OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    smlewis63 wrote: »
    I have a ?
    I should not eat a whole one in a day so how do you store the rest so it does not turn brown?

I very rarely have any left over avocado - we fight over them in our house - but, if so, yes leave the nut in and "close" it back up, wrap it and put in the fridge. Then take it back out 10 minutes later and eat it! :D I will eat a whole one as long as I have figured that into my log.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Jennloella wrote: »
    oh yeah, go through a bag a week here! My favorite is to mash them up with shredded chicken, greek yogurt, a little salt and papper, spread in a wrap, roll up and freeze. super yummy quick lunch, either zap it for 30 seconds or take out in the AM and it's thawed by lunch.

That sounds good I'm going to have to remember that!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Avocado is love. I eat it almost every day. Salmon and avocado sandwich is one of my favorite snacks
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    I love them, if only I could get my toddler to eat them as well. I always stock up on them when they are on sale, buy them very green and hard. Then when you want one, take it out near a ripe banana for 2 days and they will soften fast
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Mmmm yes avocado... I eat them by the slice. Or in place of mayonnaise... on anything that's Mexican in nature... so many options...
  • Try sour dough toast with mozzarella Cucumber and avocado with fresh ground pepper. .delicious
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I dice them up, toss with lemon juice, and seal in a pyrex with a lid - usually lasts a day or two. I rarely have to store them though because I usually do eat a whole one. Cut that puppy in half, drop an egg in each side and bake!! Mine and hubby's fave sunday breakfast.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Jennloella wrote: »
    oh yeah, go through a bag a week here! My favorite is to mash them up with shredded chicken, greek yogurt, a little salt and papper, spread in a wrap, roll up and freeze. super yummy quick lunch, either zap it for 30 seconds or take out in the AM and it's thawed by lunch.

That sounds good I'm going to have to remember that!

so good! takes about an hour to make 20 or so....I wrap each one in saran wrap, then stuff as many as I can into gallon freezer bags. It was one of the first meals I learned how to "prep" and now I'm hooked. I also do breakfast burritos and "apple pie" burritos for my toddler.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Yum. I like to take half an avocado and put cottage cheese on it.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    So many suggestions......now where to start.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I could not stand avocados most of my life. I kept trying them because friends would make a guac and they loved it. Finally, Finally about 10 years ago I tried just one more time. It was my "last" meal before back surgery the next day and man o man I have been obsessed with avocados since LOL.

I crave them now. I was sad today at the grocer because they were on sale but none ripe enough to eat today....so I wait.
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    You have to try an avocado on the half shell, with some oil and balsamic where the pit used to be with some salt and pepper... It is amazing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I eat !/2 an avocado pretty much everyday.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Anyone else love Avocados?

If I could I'd put them on 80% of my meals.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    111YoYo111 wrote: »
    I have a ?
    I should not eat a whole one in a day so how do you store the rest so it does not turn brown?

If you leave the nut in it it will last longer

I read that if you put a piece of onion in the baggie it won't brown due to acidity. Kinda like dunking apples in lemon juice so they don't brown in your fruit salad I guess.

Just for the record I tried this yesterday and it doesn't work AT ALL.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    I have a ?

If you leave the nut in it it will last longer

I read that if you put a piece of onion in the baggie it won't brown due to acidity. Kinda like dunking apples in lemon juice so they don't brown in your fruit salad I guess.

Just for the record I tried this yesterday and it doesn't work AT ALL.

If you keep the pit in the half that you're not using it doesn't brown as fast (I learned that from some friends in Mexico).

• kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    I love them too! I usually just eat them in my salads. I love all the ideas of how to eat them! I am the only one who will eat them in my house. Now I am craving one!
  • smlewis63 wrote: »
    I have a ?
    I put the other half in a tuppawear box and normally use it the next day. However they do last in tuppawear because the air can't get to them ;)
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    I have a ?

Put a little lemon juice on it.
  • meglettuce
    meglettuce Posts: 17 Member
    My favourite way to eat them is cut in half with a tea spoon of soy sauce where the stone was... Just spoon it out, yum!