AVOCADO!!!

Options

Replies

• kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    smlewis63 wrote: »
    I have a ?
    I should not eat a whole one in a day so how do you store the rest so it does not turn brown?

Put some larger chopped red onion in bottom of air tight bowl. Then place the avocado on top of the onions with the cut part facing up, seed removed. There is something about the red onions that eats the air in the container and your avocodo stays nice, just like you cut it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Avocado gets brown from open air. Remove the seed and use cling/saran wrap. Make sure it's touching the surface of the avo meat so no air has a chance to touch it. Refrigerate.

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Avocado on a toast with egg is my fav!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My friend, cuts the avocado in half, takes out the stone and put a raw egg in each side where the stone was and then puts it in the over for 20min to cook!
  • jennbell15
    jennbell15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of freezing them in wraps. Must try!
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them so much that I will cut one in half, take a spoon, and eat it plain. I have an avocado addiction.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love just sliced on a plate with a squeeze of lime, and some cracked pepper and sea salt. Also sliced and wrapped up in a hot corn tortilla.

Oh, and just placing half in a regular bag does not prevent browning. The only thing that works for me is to use my vacuum sealer to seal the half with the pit still in it. Looks pretty strange but I am the only one that eats them and I'm not wasting half of one!
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Probably one of my favorite foods. Great snack is to chop up half an avacado, some cherry tomatoes and a green onion, sprinkle with salt pepper and lemon juice.... soooo yummy
  • onesassyrn1969
    Options
    is there much difference (if any) between green skin and Haas? just tried green skin this week and it was pretty good!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Mmmm avocado. Drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with salt and eat it up!
  • Transformed428
    Transformed428 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Diced avocado with baby shrimp gazpacho lime juice and a little salsa makes an awesome salad
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Wow! I thought I was the only one who ate avocado and toast. :)
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat them because they aren't readily available at my local grocer, also I'm the only one in my family who likes them so I tend to buy thing that everyone will eat instead. But yes, I love them, the buttery, smooth texture is incredible
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We have 2 types available for sale. One way is in a mesh bag of 5 for 1.99 or individually for 1.99 the difference is the latter you can eat immediately....... those smug fruken iceholes. lol
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you add avocado and a fried egg to anything that I am eating... I'll love it.

A secondary benefit is that my 12 yr old daughter thinks it looks disgusting, so I can really play that up with her!!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Avocado pudding/ice cream: 1 avocado, 1-2 tbs cocoa powder, sweetener to taste. Blend the sucker and freeze it. SO GOOD
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Love avacados. I either eat them plain cut in half with a spoon, or mash them with banana, cocoa powder, cinnamon and cayenne pepper to make a spicy chocolate "pudding".
  • ccaquelin
    Options
    I just started eating avocado a few weeks ago. Substituting it for cheese, mayo, etc. I know avocados are full of good fats, but can you have too much avocado in a day? I usually eat about 3/4 of an avocado per day.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    ccaquelin wrote: »
    I just started eating avocado a few weeks ago. Substituting it for cheese, mayo, etc. I know avocados are full of good fats, but can you have too much avocado in a day? I usually eat about 3/4 of an avocado per day.

You can go over your calories. But you can eat avocado with every meal and be fine health-wise.

I like it on black bean burgers. It tastes even better than it does on a beef hamburger.