"FAST DIET" / 5:2 DIET

Options
Hi there, new to this blogging thing. Just wondering if anyone is doing the Fast Diet? I had a go at this last week and lost 3 pounds. This was a great kick start back onto my weight loss.

I have been losing weight since last year and had more or less stuck since the new year. I thought I'd shake things up a little and give the fasting a try.

Is anyone else doing this diet, longer term and has it been successful for you?

Replies

• Too_Unfit_To_Quit
    Too_Unfit_To_Quit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too am starting the fast diet (well I'm actually on week three) and I have lost 10lbs so far! On my "feast," days I continue to stay within the MFP limits!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    1-3 weeks?

You've likely shed X pounds of water, via reduced sodium intake; and a fraction in actual body fat.

I think a real test is how many pounds have you netted on this diet over a 6 month span, and then over a 12 month span? Is this diet sustainable (ie, can you do this for the rest of your life)?

I mean, I'm sure it could work, as long as your calories in < calories expended.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    over 10 weeks people doing 5:2 and reporting via 52fastdiet.co.uk are averaging about a pound a week of weight loss and also waist circumference loss.

Once you are down to target weight you don't need to do it for the rest of your life, so I don't understand that question, but some people at target choose to fast 1 day a week 6:1 for maintenance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of groups on here where you will find loads of people doing 5:2 fasting.
    Glad you are enjoying it so far. :smile:

To answer the sustainable or not question posed by @coreyreichle - I've been doing this with my wife for ten months now and intend doing it for the foreseeable future.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing the 5:2 diet, but I will echo the above poster that mentioned the groups for it. You'll likely get a lot more accounts if you search the group section and find other people doing some variation of the fasting thing. Good luck!
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    over 10 weeks people doing 5:2 and reporting via 52fastdiet.co.uk are averaging about a pound a week of weight loss and also waist circumference loss.

Once you are down to target weight you don't need to do it for the rest of your life, so I don't understand that question, but some people at target choose to fast 1 day a week 6:1 for maintenance.

Ah, so the fast days:non fast days ratio changes when you get to target weight...

Well, again, if that is sustainable for a person, and the weight doesn't come back, then I would say it's a successful method of eating that works for some people then.

Me personally? I couldn't fast for a day. Cycling takes a bit out of you, and you need to eat to keep from bonking. Glad to see it would for some.
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    There's a couple of groups on here where you will find loads of people doing 5:2 fasting.

To answer the sustainable or not question posed by @coreyreichle - I've been doing this with my wife for ten months now and intend doing it for the foreseeable future.

I think the other post answered it: The ratio is changed once you are at target.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi! Today is day #1 of trying the 5:2 fast (but im going with the 500-600 calories on my two days). No idea how it will work for me, but thought it was a good idea, fitting the two days on busy work days where I have workout in the am and activities for after work so less time to dig through the pantry and stuff my face b/c i'm bored :) Love to hear how it works for you, I'm excited to try! Breakfast was 1 banana, having salmon/broccoli/grains for lunch (280 cals), and planning on an apple and four walnuts for my evening meal, chugging water, then back to normal tomorrow!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I think the other post answered it: The ratio is changed once you are at target.

It depends why you are doing it - I'm doing it for the health benefits not for weight loss. I've been maintaining my goal weight since January.
    Many people do switch to a 6:1 but also many people stick to 5:2. At the moment it suits me very well to have five days at a surplus and two days at a deficit.
    By the way I'm a cyclist too (did my first 100 miles this weekend) - your training and your diet has to match. You can exercise moderately on a fasting day but you would be potty to attempt a long ride without eating properly on the day.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have been fasting for two days each week for 22 weeks and have lost weight every week bar week 22 - this is the first week I had two fasting days of 500 calories so I am going back to my usual Friday 1000 and Saturday 500.
  • Rooooose
    Rooooose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This will be my fourth fasting week (tomorrow 8th day). I fast 2x a week, and exercise 3-4 times a week. How long does it take before you start losing weight? I usually lose 0,5 kg but the next day I gain the same amount.. Anyone experiencing the same because it starts to become a bit frustrating. Any tips or do I need to be more patient?
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week has been my experience. I have faltered only when I ate junk I knew I shouldnt have. Go to the 5:2 boards for more like minded folks.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I do the 5:2 and love, love, love it. The 5:2 group is supportive and the issues discussed are very helpful.
  • monkey9994
    monkey9994 Posts: 10
    Options
    can someone please explain this diet to me? what does it consist of and how many cals on normal days? thanks
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Please try the MFP "Groups" option in the Blue Banner

Message Boards>Groups>Blogs> Find Members> Invite Friends

Here is one link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

Good luck in your journey
  • mrssuzannefox
    mrssuzannefox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently started on the 5:2 diet, yesterday being the start of week 2. So far I have lost almost 5 lbs although I am expecting the weight loss to slow down after the initial burst. The fasting days are surprisingly manageable, although definitely best done on busier days so you have less time to think about food.
  • notsobigmama2
    Options
    Thanks to everyone taking the time to reply. I will have a look at the other forums for more detailed advice.

Its good to know that there are a lot of folk out there living this lifestyle on a longer term basis. Having lost a fair bit of weight with a lot still to go, I was finding that what I was doing had stopped working for me. Thought I'd mix it up a bit and see how I got on. 3lbs off the first week was positive and hopefully I will continue to lose. I feel that if I can hit the 6 stone off mark, I will be on the home straight. Once I hit 5 stone off, I seemed to immediately hit a plateau.

Thanks again for everyone's support and guidance.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I went from ADF to 5:2 as I started transitioning to maintenance, kept losing so then I went to 6:1 and still kept losing-kind of wild lol. Now I do 8:16 IF and have finally gotten my weight to stabilize for maintenance :) I'll always do some form of IF, love it!
  • getrealforme
    Options
    I have been fasting for two days each week for 22 weeks and have lost weight every week bar week 22 - this is the first week I had two fasting days of 500 calories so I am going back to my usual Friday 1000 and Saturday 500.

What is your usual schedule?
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    5:2 rocks.

I tried the 16:8 hour fasting diet and lost 35lbs in 3 months.

AWESOME.