Shakes/Smoothie Recipies

Options
hi!

I was looking for some suggestions or thoughts in a good smoothie/shake that is tastes, budget friendly, and one that picky eaters enjoy.

Thank you!

Replies

• diana032015
    Options
    I like a combo of baby spinach, banana, fresh pineapple, strawberries and blueberries or skip the strawberries and blueberries and instead add orange. Both make great breakfast or lunch smoothies. You can also substitute the spinach with whatever greens your like
  • shontay852014
    Options
    I blend a cup of blueberries a cup of strawberries with 3 handfuls of kale with 2 cups of water and a scoop of protein powder it keeps me full until lunch and taste great
  • jagsch
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

Is there a particular protein powder for shakes? Also, I have two young-ish children (8 and 2 years old) and I want to be able to share these drinks with them.
  • glitterrain70
    glitterrain70 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that has some really good smoothie recipes!!! Enjoy :)

http://www.loseweightbyeating.com/green-smoothies-juices-beginners/
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine by starting with a container of vanilla Greek yogurt, and throwing in frozen fruit -- bananas, strawberries, blueberries, etc. I will sometimes add a splash of milk or kook-aid if it gets too thick from the frozen fruit.
  • vikingchix
    vikingchix Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My current favorite is 1/2 c. greek yogurt, banana, and either TBS of peanut butter or Nutella. Add a little water and some ice! Gets me going in the morning!
  • fiesty1idaho
    Options
    I like to start with a container of greek yogurt then add frozen fruit and some soy milk I also like to add some old fashioned oatmeal (uncooked).
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i mix kale, spinach, swiss chard, a cup of strawberries, 1/2 c of blueberries, a tbsp of flax, a tbsp of chia seeds, scoop of vanilla protein powder, a cup of almond milk and a cup of water. Its delicious and it keeps me full until lunch!
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    What are you using this smoothie for? A meal replacement? A treat? Just curious because that will make a big difference on what you throw in it! :)
  • jharbeck
    Options
    I just switched from GNC brand to the Super Advanced Body Fortress Whey Protein powder, I add roughly 1/2 cp non-fat greek vanilla or coconut yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cp mixed berries and use 2% milk or on occasion soy or coconut milk as a base. I have this daily for breakfast and dinner on the nights I go to the gym, to me it tastes great, keeps me full and gives me the energy I need.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    banana, frozen peaches and a little oj!!! Every once in a while I will add in my protein powder.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump to look at later
  • mardyc
    mardyc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i mix kale, spinach, swiss chard, a cup of strawberries, 1/2 c of blueberries, a tbsp of flax, a tbsp of chia seeds, scoop of vanilla protein powder, a cup of almond milk and a cup of water. Its delicious and it keeps me full until lunch!

Perfect. I do the same recipe after a few days you start to feel amazing. I also take magnesium, zinc and a multivitamin just to make sure I've got all my body needs to get going in the morning. Been doing this straight for 19 days and lost 5kg so far.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use frozen blueberries, strawberries, and/or mangos with fresh banana and pineapple. I use almond milk instead of water. The frozen fruit acts as ice cubes and makes it thick. I add fresh fruit to the mix because it's like ice cream if you use all frozen. My kids love it too. You can mix in spinach, avocado, ground flaxseed, and/or chia seeds in there too. The sky is the limit. I've tried all veggie smoothies and they tasted horrible to me. I do not recommend using mustard greens as the base for a smoothie. I tried it once and it was to bitter and spicy to drink. It was like drinking horseradish sauce from the bottle.
  • john062
    john062 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    1.5 Cups Milk
    1 cup Blueberry
    2 cups Strawberry
    1 serving EAS Whey Protein
    1 serving PB Fit

560 Calories, 45 grams Protein

Gets really thick almost like soft serve Ice Cream when you use frozen fruit.
    Some times I just eat this as a meal as it's very filling.
  • afoust1986
    afoust1986 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has TONS of recipes for smoothies. Personally, I like to use frozen chopped spinach (convenient, already washed, keeps for quite a long time), Unsweetened Almond Milk and Chocolate Protein powder. Sometimes a little ground flax for some Fiber as well.

I use spinach instead of kale because spinach has a better nutrient profile and unsweetened almond milk instead of greek yogurt because greek yogurt creeps me out.

With kids, the hardest part to get past is probably the color, because it can sometimes be a little off-putting. But spinach takes on the taste of whatever you mix it with as long as you don't go crazy with the spinach. I can do up to 1 cup spinach per scoop of protein powder.

Also, blender-wise, I love the Magic Bullets because they're just the perfect size.
  • rhiannon_dale
    rhiannon_dale Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    .5 oz each: kale, spinach, romaine, dandelion greens
    1 oz each: strawberry, raspberry, fuji apple
    .5 medium banana
    1 TBSP chia seeds
    1 TBSP sweet matcha powder (rishi)
    4 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • lkong978
    lkong978 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    **Berry detox smoothie**
    Dash of cinnamon
    Half a tablespoon of chai seeds
    Half a tablespoon of fresh ginger
    Frozen mixed berries
    Half frozen banana
    1 cup fresh kale
    One cup almond milk
    Sweetener of choice(I like organic agave)
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LT306
    LT306 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bump