Superbowl girl commercial & my daughter

Options
13»

Replies

• Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for sharing this!!! I have two girls - 2yo and 4yo. They like to "lift" 2 and 4 pound dumbbells at home with me. A little young to follow along with a structured workout, but we make it fun. Awesome that your daughter wants to exercise with you!

That commercial made me cry right away - and I only caught the very last part. Then watched it online later and really lost it. Our kids "race" in the house all the time - they wrestle - they play ball (both outside and in the living room, of course). I want them to keep this spirit, and not fall into the horrible mess of teen girl self hate and self destruction that their mom bottomed out in :( Right now, I'm just trying to keep telling them that they are strong, fast, smart, kind, and awesome. And I'm pretty much ready to knock anyone over who would consider telling them otherwise. I am so hopeful that, with time, they will develop the inner strength to do that for themselves, and each other!
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I HATE this commercial... because it makes me cry it's so good. It's not even that TOM. Haha What a powerful message and I love that there are so many of us that agree. <3
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for posting this. I have a 5th grade daughter too. Will share with her tonight.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    When I saw that commercial, there was a table of women talking about how it was so stupid. (They were drunk, nice local bar.)

So, feeling like a jerk, I leaned over and said, "How will you run if my dog and I are hunting you down?"

Friends I was with started laughing, drunk women appeared as if they all ate lemons.

Wow...not sure what kind of a woman would feel that way about that commercial. I think it's such a powerful message!

Not just one, three. All mid 40s, all dressed up in Seachickens gear. I think it's just a product of being on the red end of a purple state. It's like living in the land of the lost.

More laughs where had when I almost fell out of my chair laughing at Wilson's excellent play call on the 1.

Yes, that was laughable for sure as was the fight when said "seachickens" realized that it was over when Brady took a knee with 20 seconds left. The ending of that game period willl go down in history. I enjoyed it. Oh, and I didn't even care who won.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....I'm such a girl...

hmm...

Anyway, there was a similar themed ad in the UK recently. As participation amongst teenage girls and younger women reduces markedly, with a corresponding increases in easting disorders, obesity and related issues.

Inevitably the point was lost on many, but if it increases participation then that can only be a good thing.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ....I'm such a girl...

hmm...

That was a play on the words - sarcasm, it runs deep in me. I've heard many times in my life "don't be such a girl" - it's sort of ridiculous the things that are pegged as "such a girl". In this case showing emotion and getting teary-eyed after watching a commercial = "such a girl" (I've heard this too). I've also wondered aloud: So, because I show the emotions I feel, I'm a girl...what does that say for boys? That they don't feel? Double edge sword...and since my daughter is a twin, and her twin is a boy - I'm very quick to say that that is inaccurate. He is a sensitive boy, a strong boy and a loving little guy. So applying that emotions are 'girly'...well it's silly.

The most baffling situation to me is when a GIRL says "don't be such a girl" as an insult. Say wha? Anyhow - carry on, just wanted to be clear that I purposely said that...just didn't expand my thought on it. I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Edited to further clarify the twin status. I stand up equally for boys and girls :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hadn't seen the commercial (or any SB commercials). As the father of two young daughters, both this post and the commercial truly resonated with me. Thanks for sharing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When I saw that commercial, there was a table of women talking about how it was so stupid. (They were drunk, nice local bar.)

So, feeling like a jerk, I leaned over and said, "How will you run if my dog and I are hunting you down?"

Friends I was with started laughing, drunk women appeared as if they all ate lemons.

TIL that dbmata may be a sociopath.

Lol! J/k!! Only half of what I said is true.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I think that the sentiment of empowerment is great, however does it necessarily need to focus on the negative and the adversarial? Perhaps - our daughters face many challenges.
    I don't have the answer to that.

Anyway - if you are into showing the determination and achievement of women, my daughters and I have been talking about the Ironman over the years - the Julie Moss story is worth sharing. Taking determination to the wall and then some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWsQMabczM
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent story as well - I'm trying to build her up as much as possible. She's headed to middle school next year and puberty is coming quickly. She's an optimistic little bug, and she is confident. I hope it sticks :)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I have a co-worker whose daughter is a gymnast and in middle school. Co-worker only recently found out that daughter has had to deal with kids putting her down for being a gymnast. Apparently, gymnastics isn't a real sport, because it's all girls, and only snobs are gymnasts. :o

Seriously? Do I need to check my calendar, 'cause I thought it was 2014, not 1972. . .

Uh? I would give my left leg to be as strong as a 15 year old gymnast.

Exactly! This young lady is like 7% body fat. I'd love to see her in a competition against her detractors. She'd wipe the floor with them!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What a great example for your daughter. I loved that commercial. There is another one that I really like that empowers women. I cannot remember what it is but is has saying like "i giggle there for I run" something like that and "i sweat like a pig and look like a fox" It has Missy Elliot music playing. I said when that commercial aired...yep I run like a girl, lift weights like a girl, fight like a girl...and I am proud of it.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I don't have daughters but I have 2 nieces who are still blessedly athletic in their early teens. And I have 2 sons who I want to grow up to view women in general as equals. So, I am becoming my version of athletic (I am not blessed by good genes or natural talent) and I love that that includes TKD for the whole family at a studio run by a 7th degree woman and with several really high degree female teachers (as well as male). I'm determined to reach my potential for bada$$ery by the time they hit high school :D
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/ this is the UK one.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    alysme wrote: »
    http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/ this is the UK one.

Yes that is the one I was talking about! I love it!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

TIL that dbmata may be a sociopath.

Lol! J/k!! Only half of what I said is true.

I'm probably a decent little ways into the sociopathic spectrum, and when paired with my love for sarcasm and pushing buttons, it probably looks like I'm full on Steve Jobs without the sweet turtleneck sweater and Scrooge McDuck style piles of money.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The commercial is actually a few months old, but I'm glad they showed the commercial during the Superbowl b/c it expanded the viewership.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I saw this last year, when it made its rounds on Facebook, and having a young daughter, 2 going on 3, it had definitely made me think. I have teased my wife many times about how she throws, runs, etc.., without even thinking of the impact that may have on my daughter. So it has definitely made me think and I think I am trying to change my vocabulary, because it should not be an insult, but in society, to many of us, it is. I applaud the maker of this commercial.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Love this! I hope I have that impact on my nieces especially and my nephew.