Want to be 225 and currently 200. Out of reach?

Options
Cycled back on creatine. Quit smoking and currently eating close to 4000 calories a day. Trying to get to 225 from 200. Where's my motivators?

Replies

• Sixonthebeach
    Sixonthebeach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it. In a year and a half I've gone from 155 lb to 186 lb. My goal is a lean 200 lbs which I would like to achieve by summer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race my friend- I put on almost 20 pounds on my bulk- (like high 17 floating up and down 3 plus or minus)... . it's do- able. :D
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of your height, but there is a top end to lean weight if you are natural. There are several theories on the subject, but here is one of the most respected resources:

www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AKDonF wrote: »
    I am not sure of your height, but there is a top end to lean weight if you are natural. There are several theories on the subject, but here is one of the most respected resources:

Agree here and with Jo. If you are looking to pack on muscle take it slow and steady or you'll just have to do a big cut later to get rid of the extra fat.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    AKDonF wrote: »

Agree here and with Jo. If you are looking to pack on muscle take it slow and steady or you'll just have to do a big cut later to get rid of the extra fat.

All the above.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Totally doable. Like said before slow and steady. You don't want to add too much weight too fast. Why gain 50 lbs when you'll have to lose 20 of it bc u gained a lot of fat? Focus on lean bulking and don't put a time line on yourself. You'll get there but do it in a controlled manner. Once you create a fat cell it NEVER goes away! The only way to get rid of it is by sucking it out with a tube. You'll get there bud!!! I too am "bulking" but let's do it right!!!
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I'm actually trying a pound a week. So it will take me quite a few months. I'm 6 ft 3. Metabolism has always been fast. What is the science to that top end lean weight? And yeah I'm totally natural besides supplements like cell tech and protein. Thanks for the support guys.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    wellsjr79 wrote: »
    I'm actually trying a pound a week. So it will take me quite a few months. I'm 6 ft 3. Metabolism has always been fast. What is the science to that top end lean weight? And yeah I'm totally natural besides supplements like cell tech and protein. Thanks for the support guys.

Make sure you're daily caloric intake is pretty spot on. 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight, .5-.8g fat per lb of body weight, fill the rest with carbs. Eat in a surplus of 250-500 cal on training days, eat at maintenance on off days. Lift like an animal and eat well. I tend to keep the protein a little higher and the carbs a little lower. The body uses carbs for fuel. Once the carbs are burned it searches for another source...stored fat. You can lean out and gain muscle. Process may be slower but it'll be more effective in the end There's no one way fits all so it's something you'll have to take time to fine tune. This was my biggest prob because I can be very impatient.
  • wellsjr79 wrote: »

The standard deviation in metabolism is only +-6% of the TDEE. So even if your metabolism was insanely fast you'd only have to eat a couple hundred calories more per day than an ordinary person to gain weight, im not sure why the whole "fast metabolism" myth is still around. The problem is your calories aren't high enough. If you have you account set to "gain 1lbs per week" and are hitting all your caloric goals without gaining weight then you need to up your total calories another 10%. It's not gonna be easy, 225 is a big *kitten* dude who's gonna need a lot of calories.

Assuming you are still somewhat novice, the fastest you can gain weight without a disproportionately large gain of fat (over 50% of the weight gained) is about a pound a week. That's according to Layne Norton too, anybody else and I'd be skeptical but that guy is amazing, he's actually published several studies. But I think you should rethink your goals a little, yeah you can get to 225, hell you can get to 250, but you won't be lean. If you are aiming to be ripped and 225 you might be disappointed, thats a lot of fat free muscle mass for a natty. Is it possible, maybe, at 225 and 10% bf that is an FFMI of 25.5. For reference 25 is the limit for a natty. If you wanted to look a bit puffy at 225, maybe some slight hints of abs so around 15% bodyfat, that puts you at an FFMI of 24.1. Possible but extremely difficult.

I know that's a lot to take in but bodybuilding is my life and I tend to ramble. If us got any questions let me know :)
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

The standard deviation in metabolism is only +-6% of the TDEE. So even if your metabolism was insanely fast you'd only have to eat a couple hundred calories more per day than an ordinary person to gain weight, im not sure why the whole "fast metabolism" myth is still around. The problem is your calories aren't high enough. If you have you account set to "gain 1lbs per week" and are hitting all your caloric goals without gaining weight then you need to up your total calories another 10%.

I really don't think it's a myth, I meticulously filled all the goto formulas for calculating my TDEE and was still stuck, I've only recently been making steady progress cause I figured out that the the numbers I was getting from these formulas were way off for me. I was supposedly at a TDEE of 2600cals, so I up'd my cals between 15-20% per week with no gain. I recently started tracking my burnt cals with a hr monitor, which I believe to be the only true way to track your caloric burn the rest are all approximations. So my daily burn on non workout days was a whopping 3100 cals!! And 3600cals on workout days. Off by ~500+cals per day!! So I've now added 15-20% surplus to real numbers n long behold weight is coming up. So my advice to OP is figure out your true calories out then wrk off that number to figure out your calories in needed, keep it conservative and results will come
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Make sure you're daily caloric intake is pretty spot on. 1-1.5g of protein per lb of body weight, .5-.8g fat per lb of body weight, fill the rest with carbs. Eat in a surplus of 250-500 cal on training days, eat at maintenance on off days. Lift like an animal and eat well. I tend to keep the protein a little higher and the carbs a little lower. The body uses carbs for fuel. Once the carbs are burned it searches for another source...stored fat. You can lean out and gain muscle. Process may be slower but it'll be more effective in the end There's no one way fits all so it's something you'll have to take time to fine tune. This was my biggest prob because I can be very impatient.

That gain will probably be 1/3-1/2 lb per week? OP wants 1lb a week. The protein is unnecessarily high, calorie intake is far more important. If you're in excess on training days, I presume you're adding your workout calories, so no body fat will be burnt. If your on maintenance on rest days, again, no body fat will get burnt as there is sufficient calories. Even if you're in deficit, there's going to be some muscle catabolism along with the fat, and yes those days the protein should be taken care of.

I like the IDEA of slow recomps but I'm just trying to get more clarity from your method. Lyle Macdonalds Ultimate Diet 2 made the most sense numbers wise and what's more it works, but it's an absolute hellish endurance event.
  • Springfield1970
    edited February 2015
    Options
    gio14 wrote: »

The standard deviation in metabolism is only +-6% of the TDEE. So even if your metabolism was insanely fast you'd only have to eat a couple hundred calories more per day than an ordinary person to gain weight, im not sure why the whole "fast metabolism" myth is still around. The problem is your calories aren't high enough. If you have you account set to "gain 1lbs per week" and are hitting all your caloric goals without gaining weight then you need to up your total calories another 10%.

I really don't think it's a myth, I meticulously filled all the goto formulas for calculating my TDEE and was still stuck, I've only recently been making steady progress cause I figured out that the the numbers I was getting from these formulas were way off for me. I was supposedly at a TDEE of 2600cals, so I up'd my cals between 15-20% per week with no gain. I recently started tracking my burnt cals with a hr monitor, which I believe to be the only true way to track your caloric burn the rest are all approximations. So my daily burn on non workout days was a whopping 3100 cals!! And 3600cals on workout days. Off by ~500+cals per day!! So I've now added 15-20% surplus to real numbers n long behold weight is coming up. So my advice to OP is figure out your true calories out then wrk off that number to figure out your calories in needed, keep it conservative and results will come

Did you try Scooby's? Tdee 2600 at your height including exercise? Sounds really low! Yes, I agree that with exercise cals only a HRM can give a close idea. Weight training itself can't be calculated with a HRM because of all the rest periods. I just use a figure that is less than half of my running race pace. In the end, your tracking, meticulous food weighing and weekly average weight are going to give your answers.
  • JoRocka
    Options

The reality is those things are algorithms to get you in the ball park. You have to put it in to action and if you get the proper results- you know it was pretty spot on- but if you aren't getting your results- then you need to adjust- it's not an exact science because there will always be issues with calorie burns.

Calorie burns are not precise or accurate- they are SWAGS that are in the same block. So- you do the best you can- and adjust as your results dictate to you- the calculators just point you in the right direction- you actually DO have to do some work in terms of keeping track of what's going on and adjusting as needed.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options

The standard deviation in metabolism is only +-6% of the TDEE. So even if your metabolism was insanely fast you'd only have to eat a couple hundred calories more per day than an ordinary person to gain weight, im not sure why the whole "fast metabolism" myth is still around. The problem is your calories aren't high enough. If you have you account set to "gain 1lbs per week" and are hitting all your caloric goals without gaining weight then you need to up your total calories another 10%. It's not gonna be easy, 225 is a big *kitten* dude who's gonna need a lot of calories.

Assuming you are still somewhat novice, the fastest you can gain weight without a disproportionately large gain of fat (over 50% of the weight gained) is about a pound a week. That's according to Layne Norton too, anybody else and I'd be skeptical but that guy is amazing, he's actually published several studies. But I think you should rethink your goals a little, yeah you can get to 225, hell you can get to 250, but you won't be lean. If you are aiming to be ripped and 225 you might be disappointed, thats a lot of fat free muscle mass for a natty. Is it possible, maybe, at 225 and 10% bf that is an FFMI of 25.5. For reference 25 is the limit for a natty. If you wanted to look a bit puffy at 225, maybe some slight hints of abs so around 15% bodyfat, that puts you at an FFMI of 24.1. Possible but extremely difficult.

I know that's a lot to take in but bodybuilding is my life and I tend to ramble. If us got any questions let me know :)

Awesome input man. I definitely want to do natural. I know it will take me a long time and I hope I stick with it. I'm prepared for the weight gain because I kw there will be fat. I'll complain all to hell about the fat but understand it's necessary and then I'll lean up after. I guess discipline is the key.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Awesome input man. I definitely want to do natural. I know it will take me a long time and I hope I stick with it. I'm prepared for the weight gain because I kw there will be fat. I'll complain all to hell about the fat but understand it's necessary and then I'll lean up after. I guess discipline is the key.

Discipline, hard work, constant minor adjustments and consistency are definitely the keys.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'll happily donate 16lb, tho only of fat
  • LiftingRiot
    Options

Did you try Scooby's? Tdee 2600 at your height including exercise? Sounds really low! Yes, I agree that with exercise cals only a HRM can give a close idea. Weight training itself can't be calculated with a HRM because of all the rest periods. I just use a figure that is less than half of my running race pace. In the end, your tracking, meticulous food weighing and weekly average weight are going to give your answers.

Yeah I really don't know all the acronyms. Lol. I'm an electrical engineer but I don't feel this needs to be rocket science. I work out 5 days a week. I want to gain so I'll eat more. I know how much I ate previously and I will increase that. I also increase my protein intake as well. I'll have to see where I'm at in a couple months. You guys are seriously awesome with all your input arena I appreciate it. I've always felt too skinny. I want to change that.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You want to gain a lb a wk?

So how much of this weight do you expect to be lean mass....if it's much more than a 1/4lbs for very long, you'd be mistaken if you plan on doing this without the help of pharmaceuticals.

1lbs of lean mass/month is a great goal for someone who already is developed muscularly. If you put on 10lbs of lean mass the change is pretty dramatic and you might find yourself liking how you look at 210-212lbs.

I would go for an intermediate goal like 215lbs with some fat gain and cut in late April/May to a comfortable summer weight.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    You want to gain a lb a wk?

So how much of this weight do you expect to be lean mass....if it's much more than a 1/4lbs for very long, you'd be mistaken if you plan on doing this without the help of pharmaceuticals.

1lbs of lean mass/month is a great goal for someone who already is developed muscularly. If you put on 10lbs of lean mass the change is pretty dramatic and you might find yourself liking how you look at 210-212lbs.

I would go for an intermediate goal like 215lbs with some fat gain and cut in late April/May to a comfortable summer weight.

If we are talking two rounds of bulking- (which to me would be wiser and probably more practical) odds are he can get there. 20 pounds isn't that much for a bulk- esp for a guy. I can't imagine he's going to be happy at 210- odds are he'll hit 225 then cut back down to mid teens- then bulk again in another 6 months.

nice thing about this process is you're right- he could love himself at 215 and be okay and change his mind- I mean it's on the WAY to 225 so easy to alter as needed. But nothing wrong with picking a long term goal.
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Yeah I really don't know all the acronyms. Lol. I'm an electrical engineer but I don't feel this needs to be rocket science. I work out 5 days a week. I want to gain so I'll eat more. I know how much I ate previously and I will increase that. I also increase my protein intake as well. I'll have to see where I'm at in a couple months. You guys are seriously awesome with all your input arena I appreciate it. I've always felt too skinny. I want to change that.

Yes well I'm a musician but I still treat body sculpting like engineering/accounting so you should find it easy! There's only a few acronyms, search engine here helps! Tdee = total daily energy expenditure, HRM heart rate monitor. It's worth paying attention to detail to master this, it's actually pretty complicated but once you get going and know your numbers it's easy. Then you are in control whether maintaining, cutting or bulking. The way I look at it is this. Every ounce of muscle I can gain is extremely expensive, time consuming and hard effort. I'm not going to just leave anything to chance and risk losing that muscle or having to cut fat a minute longer than I have to.