SuzOh Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. lol
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    OP: If you feel that cutting out sugar is what you need to do then do it. While I will eat fruit and add it to my smoothies, I am aware of the added sugar in my packaged foods when and if I buy them and for the most part I opt to not buy those items (I'm mainly a perimeter shopper). I also don't eat breads and pastas as it makes me crave sugar (and right now I am doing a semi elimination diet because I believe that gluten has an effect on me and so far it seems like I might have a slight intolerance). I don't add sugar to my coffee or tea, and I don't eat a lot of candy. When I do indulge in sugary items like a decadent dessert I find it messes with my system and I have a wonky stomach the next day.

You don't necessarily need a "medical reason" to cut down on your sugar. If you feel it is effecting you in a negative way then start eliminating it in small ways and eventually you won't miss it. You're the only one who knows what it is doing to yourself and really that's all that matters.
    Agreed. The "only if you have a medical problem" argument is just plain silly.

If I don't like how it affects me, if I don't like how it makes me feel, if I think it's not good for me, I can make the decision to limit it or remove it from my diet.

A problem IMO, is understanding the difference between "need to" and "want to". If you want to go for it. If you need to go for it. Just don't assume (not you personally) since you need to, everyone else does as well...

Fine but it seems that someone can't simply come on here asking advice on how to cut down on something -- be it sugar, bread, gluten -- without all the "if you don't have a medical reason don't do it!" and other snark that inevitably follows. It's a simple question and there are people who have answered that have cut down on consumption but unfortunately their replies get lost in the quagmire of arguments.

And if the OP obliges the requests for reasons -- "I find that it does xyz to me so I'm cutting it out for that reason" that's not a "good enough" reason for the masses and then come the "Well, did a DOCTOR tell you this?!"

You're right: don't assume that since someone needs to everyone else needs to as well but also don't assume that because you (not you personally either) fit cakes, ice cream and other items into your day and it works for you that everyone else can -- or wants to -- as well.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You're right: don't assume that since someone needs to everyone else needs to as well but also don't assume that because you (not you personally either) fit cakes, ice cream and other items into your day and it works for you that everyone else can -- or wants to -- as well.

Absolutely...

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SuzOh wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. lol

Well, I guess at least the OP came back? If nothing else, MFP is entertaining. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: If you feel that cutting out sugar is what you need to do then do it. While I will eat fruit and add it to my smoothies, I am aware of the added sugar in my packaged foods when and if I buy them and for the most part I opt to not buy those items (I'm mainly a perimeter shopper). I also don't eat breads and pastas as it makes me crave sugar (and right now I am doing a semi elimination diet because I believe that gluten has an effect on me and so far it seems like I might have a slight intolerance). I don't add sugar to my coffee or tea, and I don't eat a lot of candy. When I do indulge in sugary items like a decadent dessert I find it messes with my system and I have a wonky stomach the next day.

You don't necessarily need a "medical reason" to cut down on your sugar. If you feel it is effecting you in a negative way then start eliminating it in small ways and eventually you won't miss it. You're the only one who knows what it is doing to yourself and really that's all that matters.
    Agreed. The "only if you have a medical problem" argument is just plain silly.

If I don't like how it affects me, if I don't like how it makes me feel, if I think it's not good for me, I can make the decision to limit it or remove it from my diet.

A problem IMO, is understanding the difference between "need to" and "want to". If you want to go for it. If you need to go for it. Just don't assume (not you personally) since you need to, everyone else does as well...
    Absolutely agree. Nor does everyone "need" to eat foods with added sugars. Nor do folks need to be pressured to eat added sugars nor told there's NO reason (other than a diagnosed medical condition) to give them up.

Eat em or don't. It's everyone's individual life, and choices.

I was once told here that if donuts gave me cravings but fruit didn't (presumably because of the fiber) perhaps I should ADD FIBER to the donuts. Orrrrrr. I could just not eat the donuts.
    Added sugar isn't necessary. Refined grains aren't necessary. Eat em or don't.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Agreed...

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Agreed...
    cheers
  • worldwidedewey
    Options

If you drink soda, or sugary drinks (like fancy coffees) those are often easiest to reduce or find alternatives to first. Just look at your diary and find the culprits and think of possible changes you could make.

I love my white chocolate mocha but one drink is upwards of 350 calories for one drink... Dieting sucks sometimes
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    Why?

Medical issues?

This. No one needs to cut sugar unless they will legit die if they consume average amounts.

The WHO disagrees.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbr8JvdDCRT4YyTV6qE28C6tw_VldRJy7qVQwAP9XMH_fBx18W

Yes, but Def Leppard doesn't. Of course, some would say The Who is a higher authority. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nr31sZQJBg
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've found that over time, your reaction to food changes. Afterall, we all (or almost all) used to turn our noses up at vegetables when we were kids. Similarly, I used to think beer was vile and I couldn't stomach most seafood or lamb - like I would get physically sick if I ate it. Now, I like all of the above and have no problem with them.

How much of that was mental and how much physical I can't really say, although I suspect it was more of the former than the latter. Again, with kids they tend to thrive on routine and new foods upset those routines so they are predisposed to dislike anything new.

As adults, when we read an article or a book or watch some "expert" on TV telling you this food or that food is bad and causes you to feel sluggish and give you a headache and indigestion, something triggers in our brain, "OMG! I've been feeling sluggish with a headache and indigestion lately, it must be <*insert evil food*>!". I think this accounts for a lot of the anti-food fads we see. Fats, dairy, rice, beef, pasta - they've all been targets in the past. Nowadays it's sugar and gluten. Not to say there aren't people with real sensitivities to these foods, just that it seems entirely too coincidental that suddenly everybody and their brother "needs" to cut back on gluten and sugar.
  • arshness
    Options
    I had to cut sugar this year because I went Keto.
    I highly recommend Truvia as a sugar replacement for things you just have to have a sweetner for. It's made from Stevia which is natural and herbal, and the other part is Ethritol which is not metabolized by the body. So it's pretty awesome.

Just understand that you have to become a label reader. The food market is SNEAKY about putting sugar in things you wouldn't even think of. Every thing you use, look at the ingredients and make sure it doesn't say ANY of the sugar words. No sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin... actualy here's a list:

Aspartame – marketed as Nutrasweet (artificial, 0 calories)
    Acesulfame potassium (acesulfame-K) / E950 -
    marketed as Sunett / Sweet One (artificial, 0 calories)
    Agave
    Agave Nectar
    Barley Malt Extract
    Brown Rice Syrup
    Brown sugar
    Corn sugar
    Corn sweetener
    Corn syrup, or corn syrup solids
    Crystalline Fructose
    Dehydrated Cane Juice
    Dextrin
    Dextrose
    Evaporated Cane Juice
    Evaporated Cane Syrup
    Fructose
    Fruit juice concentrate
    Glucose
    High-fructose corn syrup
    Honey
    Invert sugar (golden syrup)
    Lactose
    Maltodextrin
    Malt syrup
    Maltose
    Mannitol (2.6 calories)
    Maple syrup
    Molasses
    Neotame (artificial, 0 calories)
    Raw sugar
    Rice Syrup
    Saccharin (artificial, 0 calories)
    Saccharose
    Sucralose – marketed as Splenda (artificial, 0 calories)
    Sucrose
    Sugar
    Sorbitol (2.6 calories)
    Sorghum syrup
    Syrup
    Treacle
    Turbinado Sugar
    Xylose

You have to watch for ALL of that. Some, marked 0 calories here, are artificial sweetners and while they don't have calories, some studies have suggested that they mess with your gut flora and make you crave sugar even more. I still eat SOME foods with artificial sweetners in them (Like Sugar Free Jello) but I make sure I'm aware of which foods have them and which don't. It's just good to be aware of what you're choosing.

But the biggest thing is, you will have to eat more whole foods, and less boxes and jars and packages. They put sugar in EVERYTHING and it's unnecessary. I make my own, homemade sauces and salad dressings and salsa and all kinds of things because the manufacturer decided that a handful of sugar in the recipe would keep us dumb Americans coming back for more. :c

I hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I've found that over time, your reaction to food changes. Afterall, we all (or almost all) used to turn our noses up at vegetables when we were kids. Similarly, I used to think beer was vile and I couldn't stomach most seafood or lamb - like I would get physically sick if I ate it. Now, I like all of the above and have no problem with them.

How much of that was mental and how much physical I can't really say, although I suspect it was more of the former than the latter. Again, with kids they tend to thrive on routine and new foods upset those routines so they are predisposed to dislike anything new.

As adults, when we read an article or a book or watch some "expert" on TV telling you this food or that food is bad and causes you to feel sluggish and give you a headache and indigestion, something triggers in our brain, "OMG! I've been feeling sluggish with a headache and indigestion lately, it must be <*insert evil food*>!". I think this accounts for a lot of the anti-food fads we see. Fats, dairy, rice, beef, pasta - they've all been targets in the past. Nowadays it's sugar and gluten. Not to say there aren't people with real sensitivities to these foods, just that it seems entirely too coincidental that suddenly everybody and their brother "needs" to cut back on gluten and sugar.

Agree. ^^
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    arshness wrote: »
    I highly recommend Truvia as a sugar replacement for things you just have to have a sweetner for. It's made from Stevia which is natural and herbal, and the other part is Ethritol which is not metabolized by the body. So it's pretty awesome.

Just understand that you have to become a label reader. The food market is SNEAKY about putting sugar in things you wouldn't even think of. Every thing you use, look at the ingredients and make sure it doesn't say ANY of the sugar words. No sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin... actualy here's a list:

Agave
    Agave Nectar
    Barley Malt Extract
    Brown Rice Syrup
    Brown sugar
    Corn sugar
    Corn sweetener
    Crystalline Fructose
    Dehydrated Cane Juice
    Dextrin
    Dextrose
    Evaporated Cane Juice
    Evaporated Cane Syrup
    Fructose
    Fruit juice concentrate
    Glucose
    High-fructose corn syrup
    Honey
    Lactose
    Maltodextrin
    Malt syrup
    Maltose
    Mannitol (2.6 calories)
    Maple syrup
    Molasses
    Raw sugar
    Rice Syrup
    Saccharose
    Sucrose
    Sugar
    Sorbitol (2.6 calories)
    Sorghum syrup
    Syrup
    Treacle
    Turbinado Sugar
    Xylose

You have to watch for ALL of that. Some, marked 0 calories here, are artificial sweetners and while they don't have calories, some studies have suggested that they mess with your gut flora and make you crave sugar even more. I still eat SOME foods with artificial sweetners in them (Like Sugar Free Jello) but I make sure I'm aware of which foods have them and which don't. It's just good to be aware of what you're choosing.

But the biggest thing is, you will have to eat more whole foods, and less boxes and jars and packages. They put sugar in EVERYTHING and it's unnecessary. I make my own, homemade sauces and salad dressings and salsa and all kinds of things because the manufacturer decided that a handful of sugar in the recipe would keep us dumb Americans coming back for more. :c

LOL
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Agave
    Agave Nectar
    Barley Malt Extract
    Brown Rice Syrup
    Brown sugar
    Corn sugar
    Corn sweetener
    Crystalline Fructose
    Dehydrated Cane Juice
    Dextrin
    Dextrose
    Evaporated Cane Juice
    Evaporated Cane Syrup
    Fructose
    Fruit juice concentrate
    Glucose
    High-fructose corn syrup
    Honey
    Lactose
    Maltodextrin
    Malt syrup
    Maltose
    Mannitol (2.6 calories)
    Maple syrup
    Molasses
    Raw sugar
    Rice Syrup
    Saccharose
    Sucrose
    Sugar
    Sorbitol (2.6 calories)
    Sorghum syrup
    Syrup
    Treacle
    Turbinado Sugar
    Xylose

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!
  • beekaybee1
    beekaybee1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SuzOh wrote: »
    I love sugar...no doubt. I need to cut it though, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

You could try Truvia . It's a very healthy sugar alternative.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Agave
    Agave Nectar
    Barley Malt Extract
    Brown Rice Syrup
    Brown sugar
    Corn sugar
    Corn sweetener
    Crystalline Fructose
    Dehydrated Cane Juice
    Dextrin
    Dextrose
    Evaporated Cane Juice
    Evaporated Cane Syrup
    Fructose
    Fruit juice concentrate
    Glucose
    High-fructose corn syrup
    Honey
    Lactose
    Maltodextrin
    Malt syrup
    Maltose
    Mannitol (2.6 calories)
    Maple syrup
    Molasses
    Raw sugar
    Rice Syrup
    Saccharose
    Sucrose
    Sugar
    Sorbitol (2.6 calories)
    Sorghum syrup
    Syrup
    Treacle
    Turbinado Sugar
    Xylose

LOLZ...wow...

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are acting like you don't know what she's talking about. I totally understand, in my diary I am always over. I don't like to go crazy over it if it's from fruits, etc. Though a lot of nutritionist say you shouldn't have more than 25 g of sugar a day and I struggle with that. So I try and make sure my snacks are hummus w veggies and nuts.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are acting like you don't know what she's talking about. I totally understand, in my diary I am always over. I don't like to go crazy over it if it's from fruits, etc. Though a lot of nutritionist say you shouldn't have more than 25 g of sugar a day and I struggle with that. So I try and make sure my snacks are hummus w veggies and nuts.

The recommended sugar value in your diary is very low, and is supposed to refer to "added" sugar only, but there is no way to separate that out with how nutritional values are calculated. In addition, unless you have a medical reason, you do not have to limit sugars; aim for your carb limit and stop tracking sugar separately. You can change the settings in your diary for what you want to track.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    jenna80302 wrote: »
    You
    Be ready for folks to point out that fruit contains sugar and to ask if you've also cut that out

Fair enough... By sugar I really meant refined sugar (or sugar from unnatural sources). For me, the benefits of eating fruit out weighed the negatives. Much like, how someone people can eat foods with yeast and others (like me) can't.

Best. - J

Quick is this table sugar or type of sugar found in apples? And I would love to know what you ate when you cut out all processed foods

Sucrose_molecule_3d_model.png

It's way to big to come from an apple or sugar. I think it's just a picture that probably came from some type of software.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DeliVibes wrote: »
    I cut out juices (I only drink water now) and ketchup.

what is wrong with ketchup/?????

It's disgusting, especially on hotdogs.

Oh, you mean nutritionally? I understand that some people are fat entirely from eating ketchup. Also, it's addictive and people go eat fast food to get their fix. Or something like that. It seemed unlikely to me at first too, but I read it on the internet somewhere, so it must be true.

Ketchup is awsome! But, I agree, not on hotdogs. That's just a...I don't know, a sacrilege or something. Hamburgers, though...

And french fries are simply a vehicle for eating ketchup.