Need to cut sugar...help

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    arshness wrote: »
    I had to cut sugar this year because I went Keto.
    I highly recommend Truvia as a sugar replacement for things you just have to have a sweetner for. It's made from Stevia which is natural and herbal, and the other part is Ethritol which is not metabolized by the body. So it's pretty awesome.

Just understand that you have to become a label reader. The food market is SNEAKY about putting sugar in things you wouldn't even think of. Every thing you use, look at the ingredients and make sure it doesn't say ANY of the sugar words. No sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin... actualy here's a list:

Aspartame – marketed as Nutrasweet (artificial, 0 calories)
    Acesulfame potassium (acesulfame-K) / E950 -
    marketed as Sunett / Sweet One (artificial, 0 calories)
    Agave
    Agave Nectar
    Barley Malt Extract
    Brown Rice Syrup
    Brown sugar
    Corn sugar
    Corn sweetener
    Corn syrup, or corn syrup solids
    Crystalline Fructose
    Dehydrated Cane Juice
    Dextrin
    Dextrose
    Evaporated Cane Juice
    Evaporated Cane Syrup
    Fructose
    Fruit juice concentrate
    Glucose
    High-fructose corn syrup
    Honey
    Invert sugar (golden syrup)
    Lactose
    Maltodextrin
    Malt syrup
    Maltose
    Mannitol (2.6 calories)
    Maple syrup
    Molasses
    Neotame (artificial, 0 calories)
    Raw sugar
    Rice Syrup
    Saccharin (artificial, 0 calories)
    Saccharose
    Sucralose – marketed as Splenda (artificial, 0 calories)
    Sucrose
    Sugar
    Sorbitol (2.6 calories)
    Sorghum syrup
    Syrup
    Treacle
    Turbinado Sugar
    Xylose

You have to watch for ALL of that. Some, marked 0 calories here, are artificial sweetners and while they don't have calories, some studies have suggested that they mess with your gut flora and make you crave sugar even more. I still eat SOME foods with artificial sweetners in them (Like Sugar Free Jello) but I make sure I'm aware of which foods have them and which don't. It's just good to be aware of what you're choosing.

But the biggest thing is, you will have to eat more whole foods, and less boxes and jars and packages. They put sugar in EVERYTHING and it's unnecessary. I make my own, homemade sauces and salad dressings and salsa and all kinds of things because the manufacturer decided that a handful of sugar in the recipe would keep us dumb Americans coming back for more. :c

I hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!
    Whats funny?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I've found that over time, your reaction to food changes. Afterall, we all (or almost all) used to turn our noses up at vegetables when we were kids. Similarly, I used to think beer was vile and I couldn't stomach most seafood or lamb - like I would get physically sick if I ate it. Now, I like all of the above and have no problem with them.

How much of that was mental and how much physical I can't really say, although I suspect it was more of the former than the latter. Again, with kids they tend to thrive on routine and new foods upset those routines so they are predisposed to dislike anything new.

As adults, when we read an article or a book or watch some "expert" on TV telling you this food or that food is bad and causes you to feel sluggish and give you a headache and indigestion, something triggers in our brain, "OMG! I've been feeling sluggish with a headache and indigestion lately, it must be <*insert evil food*>!". I think this accounts for a lot of the anti-food fads we see. Fats, dairy, rice, beef, pasta - they've all been targets in the past. Nowadays it's sugar and gluten. Not to say there aren't people with real sensitivities to these foods, just that it seems entirely too coincidental that suddenly everybody and their brother "needs" to cut back on gluten and sugar.

Probably also why folks think whey protein powder tastes "yummy". :D
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    I usually use a knife or a blade, but even scissors would do in a pinch.

mgx36n0qcmul.jpeg
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    jenna80302 wrote: »
    You
    Be ready for folks to point out that fruit contains sugar and to ask if you've also cut that out

Fair enough... By sugar I really meant refined sugar (or sugar from unnatural sources). For me, the benefits of eating fruit out weighed the negatives. Much like, how someone people can eat foods with yeast and others (like me) can't.

Best. - J

Quick is this table sugar or type of sugar found in apples? And I would love to know what you ate when you cut out all processed foods

Sucrose_molecule_3d_model.png

OMG you are so smart! You totally know that the chemical structure of the sugar in fruit is the same as that in table sugar!!!

In food, as in many things in life, it's not just the structure of the molecule that matters. A person's experience of eating things with a lot of sugar in them matters to. So, if someone has recognized that eating a donut makes them want to mow down everything in sight, but eating an apple does not, it's probably a good idea for that person to limit their donuts - even if there are the same number of sugar molecules in the two foods.

People often say "sugar" when they really mean "sweet treats." You pretending that you don't know that just so you can get up on your molecule high horse is counterproductive. We are all on here to meet our diet and fitness goals. If the OP wants to eat less sugar (whether that means actual sugar molecules or sweet treats) that's her choice - and it's really not your job to point out whether you think that's a good idea or not, based on molecular structures. The OP is looking for tips, not chemistry lectures.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't always cut sugar, but when I do, I cut it with enfamil, or nescafe.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    OP: If you feel that cutting out sugar is what you need to do then do it. While I will eat fruit and add it to my smoothies, I am aware of the added sugar in my packaged foods when and if I buy them and for the most part I opt to not buy those items (I'm mainly a perimeter shopper). I also don't eat breads and pastas as it makes me crave sugar (and right now I am doing a semi elimination diet because I believe that gluten has an effect on me and so far it seems like I might have a slight intolerance). I don't add sugar to my coffee or tea, and I don't eat a lot of candy. When I do indulge in sugary items like a decadent dessert I find it messes with my system and I have a wonky stomach the next day.

You don't necessarily need a "medical reason" to cut down on your sugar. If you feel it is effecting you in a negative way then start eliminating it in small ways and eventually you won't miss it. You're the only one who knows what it is doing to yourself and really that's all that matters.
    Agreed. The "only if you have a medical problem" argument is just plain silly.

If I don't like how it affects me, if I don't like how it makes me feel, if I think it's not good for me, I can make the decision to limit it or remove it from my diet.

A problem IMO, is understanding the difference between "need to" and "want to". If you want to go for it. If you need to go for it. Just don't assume (not you personally) since you need to, everyone else does as well...

Fine but it seems that someone can't simply come on here asking advice on how to cut down on something -- be it sugar, bread, gluten -- without all the "if you don't have a medical reason don't do it!" and other snark that inevitably follows. It's a simple question and there are people who have answered that have cut down on consumption but unfortunately their replies get lost in the quagmire of arguments.

And if the OP obliges the requests for reasons -- "I find that it does xyz to me so I'm cutting it out for that reason" that's not a "good enough" reason for the masses and then come the "Well, did a DOCTOR tell you this?!"

You're right: don't assume that since someone needs to everyone else needs to as well but also don't assume that because you (not you personally either) fit cakes, ice cream and other items into your day and it works for you that everyone else can -- or wants to -- as well.

When I first came on MFP, I struggled with my diet because I was trying to cut out all the foods commonly thought to be fattening, which I figured was anything sugary or fatty. So I switched to artificial sweeteners for my tea (gag) and fat free dairy (gag x 2.)

Because of the usual suspects (you know who you are...and thankyou) who routinely respond to this sort of thread with "why cut it out if you don't need to" I did some re-thinking on my eating plan. I am now much better able to stay on program by incorporating sugar and fat in my diet.

So for every user that gets their undies in a bundle about a poster contradicting the "sugar is bad" way of thinking, there is a user who benefits greatly from their perspective.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12‌ -- believe me yet?
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I've found that over time, your reaction to food changes. Afterall, we all (or almost all) used to turn our noses up at vegetables when we were kids. Similarly, I used to think beer was vile and I couldn't stomach most seafood or lamb - like I would get physically sick if I ate it. Now, I like all of the above and have no problem with them.

How much of that was mental and how much physical I can't really say, although I suspect it was more of the former than the latter. Again, with kids they tend to thrive on routine and new foods upset those routines so they are predisposed to dislike anything new.

As adults, when we read an article or a book or watch some "expert" on TV telling you this food or that food is bad and causes you to feel sluggish and give you a headache and indigestion, something triggers in our brain, "OMG! I've been feeling sluggish with a headache and indigestion lately, it must be <*insert evil food*>!". I think this accounts for a lot of the anti-food fads we see. Fats, dairy, rice, beef, pasta - they've all been targets in the past. Nowadays it's sugar and gluten. Not to say there aren't people with real sensitivities to these foods, just that it seems entirely too coincidental that suddenly everybody and their brother "needs" to cut back on gluten and sugar.

While I agree for the most part I would like to know though why people are slammed when they want to eliminate things like gluten or sugar when they do feel negative from ingesting it. I've been doing my best to cut out gluten from my diet due to the fact that I feel like crap and my stomach gets wonky when I have it. I don't know for sure if I have an intolerance to it but I absolutely know how I feel when I have it. Same with sugar.

I suppose my point is that everyone jumps in with their snark, gifs and other things telling the person who wants to cut something out for whatever reason they have that it's wrong but how can they know when they're not that person? How can they know whether or not (in this thread for example) sugar isn't a huge problem for the poster? For all anyone knows eating sugar could lead to completely derailing their day and binging.

Not everything someone chooses to do is because "THEY" said you should do it. A lot of people eliminate items in their diet because they are having issues and that is one way to pin point where the issue is stemming from.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    what is wrong with ketchup/?????

Most of them are all HFCS and disgustingly sweet.

As mentioned above, I don't like ketchup and never use it, but you can make your own. A friend of mine always has tons of extra tomatoes so started making his own ketchup, as well as lots of other tomato-based sauces (a good BBQ sauce).

There was also a pretty interesting and lengthy article a while back I need to find, I think it was in the Atlantic, but I never remember, about why gourmet mustard caught on, and hot sauce, but all the efforts at gourmet ketchups have failed.

And of course traditionally tomato ketchup is only one of many possible kinds of ketchup. I'd be interested to try one of the others.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If I don't like how it affects me, if I don't like how it makes me feel, if I think it's not good for me, I can make the decision to limit it or remove it from my diet.

Yes, I totally agree with this.

I think what puzzles people (apart from the confusion between cutting back and eliminating, as I still think the OP was probably asking about cutting back), is that IF something makes you feel bad and you know that such that you want to eliminate it, why do you need help to do so? How to do it really doesn't seem that complicated.

There are plenty of foods (the aforementioned ketchup) that I don't eat for non medical reasons, but just because I don't like them or (as with transfats or HFCS) suspect they might be bad for me or (as with a packaged pie or some such) are inconsistent with how I like to eat. I don't think anyone disagrees that these are valid reasons to make decisions about your own diet, but usually people who do don't need to ask for advice.

Anyway, this is why I suggested that more specifics here would be helpful. If the question is really "how do I deal with cravings" that calls for different advice than "how do I reduce the grams of sugar showing up in my food log." And if the question is "I've been told that eating any sugar means you can't lose weight," well, that calls for different advice still.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    what is wrong with ketchup/?????

Most of them are all HFCS and disgustingly sweet.

As mentioned above, I don't like ketchup and never use it, but you can make your own. A friend of mine always has tons of extra tomatoes so started making his own ketchup, as well as lots of other tomato-based sauces (a good BBQ sauce).

There was also a pretty interesting and lengthy article a while back I need to find, I think it was in the Atlantic, but I never remember, about why gourmet mustard caught on, and hot sauce, but all the efforts at gourmet ketchups have failed.

And of course traditionally tomato ketchup is only one of many possible kinds of ketchup. I'd be interested to try one of the others.

I wanted to make ketchup this year when we had our garden but it's not something we use all the time.

Based on all the GMO's and the stuff that's added to food (sugars, HFCS, etc) I prefer to grow/can/freeze my own foods now.

My mother calls my husband and I "gentlemen farmers" :laugh:

• dbmata
    Options
    protip, maple syrup in ketchup = no good.
    I won't try that again, taste was horrendous.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Though a lot of nutritionist say you shouldn't have more than 25 g of sugar a day and I struggle with that. So I try and make sure my snacks are hummus w veggies and nuts.

A lot a nutritionists give weirdo advice.

The WHO recommends that you not get more than 25 grams/day in added sugar. While I would temper this with advice to know yourself--do you have a higher than normal TDEE due to size or doing lots of exercise, do you monitor your diet so you already know you aren't overeating and are getting a good balanced diet full of nutrient-dense foods?--it seems reasonable enough to me. Anyone who advised a limit of less than 25 grams of all sugar and said that it was thus unhealthy to eat a couple pieces of fruit or lots of veggies or dairy, which easily add up to more than 25 grams--would seem to me a quack, absent some kind of medical condition that required it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Truth, that.

I told one I can't eat oatmeal due to heart burn, and too much wheat gives me joint issues. She goes on to suggest a diet made up mostly of oats and wheat products.

Was upset when I explained to her that she was an idiot, and that under no circumstance would I continue to use her as a service provider.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @lemurcat12‌ -- believe me yet?

Who is saying it's wrong to limit sugar? I see a bunch of people saying it's unnecessary to eliminate sugar (who are probably off-topic, but the OP's post was unfortunately ambiguous), and a bunch of silly speculation as to what the OP is trying to achieve and why. And argument with a separate poster who claims to have cut out all "processed" foods, which we all know can't be true.

I seriously think that these annoying threads could be avoided if the OPs would just be clear or answer questions. As I said above, the answer to "how do I cut sugar" is ridiculously obvious--you eat less sugar. If your deal is eating a cookie after lunch (I used to always buy a cookie when I got a sandwich at Potbelly's), well, don't, if you want less sugar (I stopped that particular habit). Or, eat half one day and half the next.

Since that's too obvious to be the real question, people are speculating about what the question is and assuming either that she's binging on sugar (not at all supported) or struggling with cravings or trying to cut out fruit, etc. All pointless without more information and just a forum for the preexisting debate that always happens.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wanted to make ketchup this year when we had our garden but it's not something we use all the time.

I feel the same way (except I never use it). I usually have extra tomatoes, but last year was a horrible tomato year for me, so maybe if I have a lot again this year I'll play around with it and see if I can make one I like. I'm also going to find a recipe for the mushroom version.

I only have a rooftop garden (plus a CSA), so I haven't been inspired to can or freeze myself (I do want to start pickling), and to be honest I'm not concerned about GMOs and can live with the stuff that gets trucked in from wherever in the winter with various exceptions (I don't do "fresh" tomatoes out of season), but I might get inspired to do more if I have more veggies than I can deal with this coming year. It's at least fun.

I'd love to have more space for growing things, but so far not enough to move to the 'burbs. ;-)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    davis978 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    jenna80302 wrote: »
    You
    Be ready for folks to point out that fruit contains sugar and to ask if you've also cut that out

Fair enough... By sugar I really meant refined sugar (or sugar from unnatural sources). For me, the benefits of eating fruit out weighed the negatives. Much like, how someone people can eat foods with yeast and others (like me) can't.

Best. - J

Quick is this table sugar or type of sugar found in apples? And I would love to know what you ate when you cut out all processed foods

Sucrose_molecule_3d_model.png

OMG you are so smart! You totally know that the chemical structure of the sugar in fruit is the same as that in table sugar!!!

In food, as in many things in life, it's not just the structure of the molecule that matters. A person's experience of eating things with a lot of sugar in them matters to. So, if someone has recognized that eating a donut makes them want to mow down everything in sight, but eating an apple does not, it's probably a good idea for that person to limit their donuts - even if there are the same number of sugar molecules in the two foods.

People often say "sugar" when they really mean "sweet treats." You pretending that you don't know that just so you can get up on your molecule high horse is counterproductive. We are all on here to meet our diet and fitness goals. If the OP wants to eat less sugar (whether that means actual sugar molecules or sweet treats) that's her choice - and it's really not your job to point out whether you think that's a good idea or not, based on molecular structures. The OP is looking for tips, not chemistry lectures.

My tip was there was no difference between sucrose in table sugar and some processed foods and that within an apple that they consider fine.

You don't need a tip to limit sugar, eat less carbs, bam done
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Truth, that.

I told one I can't eat oatmeal due to heart burn, and too much wheat gives me joint issues. She goes on to suggest a diet made up mostly of oats and wheat products.

Was upset when I explained to her that she was an idiot, and that under no circumstance would I continue to use her as a service provider.

The one I saw when I was young told an entire room full of teenagers/early 20's people who'd just gone on maintenance that pizza is the perfect food, and whenever you have a choice to make, that's your best option. He didn't even qualify it with "a slice or two," just turned us loose on the world with a mission to eat pizza.

WTF did he think a bunch of 16-20 yo's who'd had nothing but chicken and broccoli for 2 weeks would do with that advice?
  • 2lhasas
    2lhasas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First let me say I don't understand why people on this site are so confrontational. If OP wants to cut her sugar consumption and you don't have any suggestions to help her in that goal, you could just not post.

I personally follow a low glycemic index diet and find it works for me. Processed sugar generally means high GI so in effect I have cut my sugar intake. Eating this way has eliminated cravings and allows me to stay within my caloric range without feeling deprived or hungry. I eat tons of veggies (steam in the bag veggies are a lifesaver for me), and low GI fruits. When I want something sweet, I like various berries, and always have frozen blueberries around. The first couple of weeks cutting sugar can be difficult, but once you're over the hump you won't really crave it anymore. If you can't resist, try the small individually wrapped Ghiradelli Intense Dark squares. Gives you a hint of chocolate, but no one gorges themselves on dark chocolate.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    protip, maple syrup in ketchup = no good.
    I won't try that again, taste was horrendous.

Uh yeah. The combo doesn't even sound good!