Foods that have FEWER calories than you thought

Options

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Ham... and fish! As well as chicken and cherry tomatoes. Like 16 calories for 7 tomatoes! That's nothing!
  • xmarliessss
    xmarliessss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ricecakes, Mcdonalds ice cream cones, oh and also penne pasta portions always seems so big for the calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    That makes sense :) just never heard it referred to as French bread, that's why I thought French toast.

What Americans call French bread, the rest of us call baguette.

There's a difference between baguettes and French bread in the U.S.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You are thinking of french toast... the breakfast food. The OP is speaking of french bread, a crusty type of loaf popular in the US... not sure about anywhere else though.

I think the French are quite partial to it too!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    That makes sense :) just never heard it referred to as French bread, that's why I thought French toast.

What Americans call French bread, the rest of us call baguette.

I dunno, I'm British, and I'd probably call it French bread/French stick too!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    OP, good idea for a thread - this is great. And I agree with mashed potatoes, too ... but not the way I make them. :/
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Bacon
  • shannonstube
    shannonstube Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. With all the hate white potatoes get from some people, I assumed they were high-calorie and something I should avoid. But we have roasted red potatoes as a side fairly often, and they aren't nearly as "bad" as I originally thought.
  • ElizabethPalm
    ElizabethPalm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My fav fav fav food. Prawns. I dont have exact count now but its crazy low.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I have to agree wit potatoes....you hear so much bad about them, that they feel like they should be off limits while eating healthy. It feels like a big splurge to have a potato smothered in mushrooms and 25 calories worth of gravy....yummmm!
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my answer is full fat ice cream. I'm talking the really good "totally should be off limits" stuff is not that bad.

We like Open Nature brand which is listed as 160 cal per 1/2 cup which sounds like lots, but have you ever actually measured what a half cup of ice cream is? A standard scoop, I've found, is 1/4 cup. That means for dessert many nights I get to scoop 2 full scoops of full fat creamy ice cream for 160 calories. There are diet ice creams (looking at you Skinny Cow!) that are less satisfying for just as many calories!
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Walden farms people. They have a line of salad dressings, ice cream toppings, mayo and b&b's sauce. Zero calories,zero sugar, zero fat! And they're good too! I put the caramel sauce on coconut milk ice cream 6 almonds and a squirt of whipped cream. About 160 calories. Now that's dessert! The ranch dressing is good. The mayo tastes like miracle whip. ZERO CALORIES!!!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    kheinl wrote: »
    Walden farms people. They have a line of salad dressings, ice cream toppings, mayo and b&b's sauce. Zero calories,zero sugar, zero fat! And they're good too! I put the caramel sauce on coconut milk ice cream 6 almonds and a squirt of whipped cream. About 160 calories. Now that's dessert! The ranch dressing is good. The mayo tastes like miracle whip. ZERO CALORIES!!!

How does food Not have calories? Scary, what do they put in it?
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Honestly, my answer is full fat ice cream. I'm talking the really good "totally should be off limits" stuff is not that bad.

We like Open Nature brand which is listed as 160 cal per 1/2 cup which sounds like lots, but have you ever actually measured what a half cup of ice cream is? A standard scoop, I've found, is 1/4 cup. That means for dessert many nights I get to scoop 2 full scoops of full fat creamy ice cream for 160 calories. There are diet ice creams (looking at you Skinny Cow!) that are less satisfying for just as many calories!

This is my kind of answer! ;)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Strawberries and pomegranates! Both of which I love so very much.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kheinl wrote: »

How does food Not have calories? Scary, what do they put in it?

Oh, it's all cellulose and vegetable gums and artificial flavorings mixed with sadness, and no offense to the other poster, but I think all their stuff tastes just as awful as that mixture of ingredients sounds. And the texture! Oh dear FSM, the texture. Like some kitchen science experiment with borax and school glue gone horribly wrong.

• Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    yfqr6zp4tl0e.jpg
    Made with lemon,citrus, Apple cider vinegar, natural flavor. I thought the same thing but the ingredients aren't a bunch of chemicals. Sucralose is the worst ingredient. I'll take it over fat free mayo any day. See pic
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. With all the hate white potatoes get from some people, I assumed they were high-calorie and something I should avoid. But we have roasted red potatoes as a side fairly often, and they aren't nearly as "bad" as I originally thought.

That's one of my favorites as well. Roasted red potatoes with some parsley. One potato is very reasonable. I dip it in ketchup and feel like I'm eating french fries lol. No one will ever convince me to give up potatoes.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Berries, veggies and most melons surprised me. I recently bought a cantaloupe and was pleasantly surprised how little calories in 4 oz of it. A big hunk of tomato for nearly 20 cals?

Radishes too.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Steak. It's my go-to for eating out . All my family knows that when we go out, make sure it's somewhere that I can get a steak. A nice medium rare steak, lightly seasoned with some sauce and I'm in heavy. The calories on right for a dinner and protein protein protein. When I look at a menu and see the calories for a salad are more than a steak...it's not even a question.