Foods that have FEWER calories than you thought

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    Yes, yes, my mother teaches English, so I'm relatively used to being scolded in this area. Title corrected, happy?

Thanks for taking it in the lighthearted spirit in which it was intended.

ceoverturf wrote: »
    Believe it or not - chocolates.

I eat a small amount of chocolate pretty much every day. One square of the good, high-cocoa stuff has about 50 calories and makes me very happy.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Deli meat! Low salt turkey- yum! But my american cheese is too much. Lol they balance each other out. Also, i get happy everytime i log my work salad. Its fills me and barely makes a dent in my calories.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Nonfat yogurt, berries, air popped popcorn, cottage cheese, fish. I just made a spicy vinegar based coleslaw and I can have quite a bit for 100 cals. Yummmmm
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, blackberries/rasberries and cucumbers
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love French bread.

How do you buy a loaf of French bread? The only French bread I know is normal bread, dunked in a mixture of milk and eggs and then toasted in a frying pan.

If I have the kj right I was surprised by the kj in blue grenadier fish. 1 fillet, about 350g is apparently only like 1300kj. That's a lot of fish, enough for 2-3 people with out it being an insult.

Edit: just googled and it's about 427kj per 100g that's seems really low to me.

• SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I love French bread.

How do you buy a loaf of French bread? The only French bread I know is normal bread, dunked in a mixture of milk and eggs and then toasted in a frying pan.

If I have the kj right I was surprised by the kj in blue grenadier fish. 1 fillet, about 350g is apparently only like 1300kj. That's a lot of fish, enough for 2-3 people with out it being an insult.

I take French bread as referring to a baguette or the like - delicious!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SandyBVTN wrote: »
    I love French bread.

Me too. A long stick of bread.

• thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love French bread.

You are thinking of french toast... the breakfast food. The OP is speaking of french bread, a crusty type of loaf popular in the US... not sure about anywhere else though.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    thekacks wrote: »
    I love French bread.

You are thinking of french toast... the breakfast food. The OP is speaking of french bread, a crusty type of loaf popular in the US... not sure about anywhere else though.

That makes sense :) just never heard it referred to as French bread, that's why I thought French toast.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    That makes sense :) just never heard it referred to as French bread, that's why I thought French toast.

What Americans call French bread, the rest of us call baguette.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I use to live in another neighborhood some 25 miles away and there was a superb French bakery/restaurant there, my goodness they had the most AMAZING baguettes! melt in your mouth delicious! I want one so bad now!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I love French bread.

That's French toast, silly!
    SandyBVTN wrote: »

Yes, exactly. French bread specifically is baked live as opposed to say, Vienna bread, where the dough is cooled before being baked, so it has that specific crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside texture. Nothing beats a fresh loaf of French bread.
    I use to live in another neighborhood some 25 miles away and there was a superb French bakery/restaurant there, my goodness they had the most AMAZING baguettes! melt in your mouth delicious! I want one so bad now!

This thread has just made me very hungry. Kind of a late bump, but I just now noticed all the notifications.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Blueberries! I had 25g of them on my cereal yesterday and MFP listed that as 12 cals!

Salad. A Pret chicken Caesar salad without the dressing is well under 200 calories and feels like a proper lunch.

I'm always amazed that a massive bowl of lettuce and cucumber comes in at around 20 cals not 100.

Wasabi peas. In Chinatown you can buy tiny packets of them (like you get on airlines) that are only 50 cals but a great snack when you get in from work.
  • cherys
    Options
    Waitrose fat reduced pate. A chunk of that - enough to spread on two slices of wholemeal toast - is about 50 calories. Add sliced gherkin and salad and you have a really good lunch for only 200 cals if you opt for thin sliced bread.

Soup: big filling bowl of Baxters minestrone only about 135 cals.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Goats cheese, I love that stuff and it actually turned out to be really decent, for cheese!
  • cherys
    Options
    Dry champagne 100 calories a glass. That makes it fine to have a glass on any special occasion. Just not more than a glass.
  • mattnics
    mattnics Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

What Americans call French bread, the rest of us call baguette.

Sounds like some fancy French word for bread.

Light string cheese I love and was surprised it only had 50 calories and 7g of protein to boot! I also noticed in my quest for more protein rich foods that a bag of jerky has 42g (jacks links) and only 240 calories for the entire bag; a great snack.
  • jenwithapen
    jenwithapen Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love French bread.

Are you thinking of French toast?

Oop, sorry! Didn't read down below to see others had replied =D Nevermind me!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The ham I like - for some reason I thought it had 90 cals per slice. Turns out it has 38 cals!
  • LindyMopLoo
    LindyMopLoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Greek salad. A huge helping for lunch, only 208 calories. Yum! Olives, feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, green capsicum and mesclun greens. Life really doesn't get much more delicious than that.