No sugar - My son is 12 and 234 pounds!

Options

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    This is what comes from doing away with gym class in schools, eliminating competitive sports from children's' lives, and allowing them to spend every waking hour holed up in their rooms playing video games. When I was a kid, me, my brother, and our friends could eat whatever we wanted, even hamburgers and French fries every day, and still be rail thin. Why? Because we were outside playing from morning until night. The idea of having to put a 12 year old boy on a diet saddens me to no end, especially when I think about how easily the situation could have been avoided.

That's quite a judgement considering you know next to nothing about this mom and her son, only that the son is over weight and was taught bad eating habits. I did P.E. and was out all day. I was still a chubby tween/teen so you cannot blame it all on this broken system anyway. "When I was a kid" Should never be used because we don't all share the same hobbies, food habits, body chemisty or metabolism.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    ...Bottom line - It needs to be about the child, not the conflicts between the parents....

Domestic violence and the continued use of family courts to abuse their families has nothing to do with a "conflict between parents". Domestic Violence is a one sided crime.

Look, I've sort of hi-jacked this thread, admittedly. A 12 year old child who weighs over 200lbs did so under the guidance of the parent with whom he primarily lives.

I have however, made it my mission to shed a spot light on what it happening in the family court system all over the world. And the idea that judges make decisions based on what is in "the best interests of the child", simply could not be farther from the truth.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help other than his need dad needs a serious talking to!!! He's killing his son with kindness :disappointed:

Nothing about what that man is feeding his son is "kind". It's borderline abuse to continually overfeed a child who has no say and doesn't know any better. Children trust their parents, it's the parents' job to not abuse that trust by allowing them things that are detrimental to their health.

yes but alot of parents reward their kids with food. Junk food is a special treat. The father thinks he's being kind/nice by giving his kid yummy food that he enjoys.
    I had a chubby dog because I was giving her too many treats. I thought I was being a good doggy mum, when in fact I was the opposite.

Um... a dog, no matter how much you love and adore, is not the same thing as a child. Don't do that comparison. :noway:

• reginab1984
    reginab1984 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is what comes from doing away with gym class in schools, eliminating competitive sports from children's' lives, and allowing them to spend every waking hour holed up in their rooms playing video games. When I was a kid, me, my brother, and our friends could eat whatever we wanted, even hamburgers and French fries every day, and still be rail thin. Why? Because we were outside playing from morning until night. The idea of having to put a 12 year old boy on a diet saddens me to no end, especially when I think about how easily the situation could have been avoided.

That's quite a judgement considering you know next to nothing about this mom and her son, only that the son is over weight and was taught bad eating habits. I did P.E. and was out all day. I was still a chubby tween/teen so you cannot blame it all on this broken system anyway. "When I was a kid" Should never be used because we don't all share the same hobbies, food habits, body chemisty or metabolism.

So you're saying there's no correlation between the staggering rates of childhood obesity and the utter lack of physical activity amongst children nowadays? Give me a break. Furthermore, the kid is 234 pounds, which is morbidly obese, not "chubby," as you described yourself at that age. Lastly, I fail to see what memories from my childhood have to do with "hobbies, food habits, body chemistry or metabolism." If you're trying imply that the one third of all children who are overweight or obese are that way because of faulty metabolisms, I would say ummmm...no.

• reginab1984
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

Pretty sure you're not qualified to make those assumptions, judgey judgerson.
    Unless you actually know the OP and her son.

I always enjoy when an individual is accusing another individual of being judgmental. You do realize that, in doing so, you are being judgmental as well, right?

In any event, how do you think the kid got to 234 pounds? The most popular ways I know of include eating too much and moving too little, but if you've got some insider information on some other ways to do it, I'll listen.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, most kids these days don't have anywhere near the activity levels we had when I was a kid
  • rankinr
    rankinr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I have to ask... Is this for real?

A pre prepubescent kid who weighs 234?
    Would not be surprised at all. When I turned 13, I was 245lbs.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Just to get some perspective on the 234 lbs, What would a healthy weight be for this child ?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Just to get some perspective on the 234 lbs, What would a healthy weight be for this child ?

I have a daughter who is nearly 10 - she weighs 68 pounds.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have to go through this, but the father needs to get on board.
  • reginab1984
    Options

The average 12 year old boy weighs about 90 pounds, according to the CDC.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My 2 Year old is 34lbs and can push a completely full shopping cart. Does his weight alone determine his health? Probably not.
    I think a goal of 150 for the OPs child would be sufficient as any drop in calories is going to have a major effect for a while.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

About 90 lbs with an average height of 58 inches.

My daughter is on the opposite end of the spectrum. She's almost 10 and weighs 54lbs and is 50 inches tall.
  • RikkiTikki2
    Options
    there may a nutrition education program already in place at your son's school or in the district. Maybe you can ask about it. I think giving him more control over what he eats or exercises would be a good way to approach this, for example, signing him up for cooking classes or a sport he likes. Or the two of you doing a program together. Your hmo may have something for you also. I know there are afterschool programs that offer cooking, nutrition, etc. classes. Maybe talking to his teacher or counselor will help as well as they may know of resources that are available.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a simular problem although it's my mum who wont change her eating habits but she's an adult and I don't think a 12yr would fully comprehend the seriousness of the situation.
    Sounds like it's not just 'Sugar' as it's just 'Junk Food'
    Not sure if you are separated with his father but if I was you and my son was on my watch I'd be watching him like a hawk making him healthier meals so that when he does go out with his dad he can eat a junk meal.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    My 2 Year old is 34lbs and can push a completely full shopping cart. Does his weight alone determine his health? Probably not.
    I think a goal of 150 for the OPs child would be sufficient as any drop in calories is going to have a major effect for a while.

If he eats a healthy diet, it is not a problem. I looked up children's height and weight charts and he is the height of a 4 year.

I really feel mother and child have to be involved to get this 12 year back on track. He has to want to do it and both him and his mother need to be given the knowledge and skills to do it. A perfect scenario would be to get the father involved as well. Oh for a perfect world. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    How tall is this kid?

I was nearly my adult height/frame size by that age, though that would be unusual for a boy.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options

Well, my 12yo (and 4 month) son is 5'7" flat and weighs 96lbs. He is 10th percentile for BMI for his age and eats constantly.

Anywhere from 80-150lbs could be normal depending on height.