No sugar - My son is 12 and 234 pounds!

Options
My son is 12, 234 pounds as of today and having knee pain. Doc said to cut out sugar, period. Any advice? My son is genetically predisposed to be "a barrel with legs". He is very tender hearted, very much ashamed/aware of his weight and as likely to fight me as make changes. I keep it dietetically between the beacons at home - mostly. That's going to change to all but always, starting with sugar. A bigger problem is my son's dad, who refuses to acknowledge the weight issue. My son sees his dad daily (court ordered), and their time together almost always includes food - usually cheeseburgers or fritters with half and half for a beverage.
- Anyone else been here? What do I need to know first and worst? Thanks for reading.

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think you and your son's dad need to have a meeting with your son's doctor so that the doctor can fully explain the situation to your son's dad. This really needs to be a lifestyle change for him, and that can only happen if everyone is on board.

It would probably also be good for you to sit down with your son and discuss how his diet impacts his weight which is resulting in his knee pain. If he wants the knee pain to go away (and who wouldn't?) he needs to work on losing weight in a healthy way. Your son is old enough at 12 to tell his dad that he doesn't want a burger or fritters.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you have any control over what he eats at his dad's, but you definitely have control over what happens in YOUR house. I would consult with a dietician who specializes in working with children. Your pediatrician should be able to refer you to one (or may even have one on staff, i know ours does!). Consult with them and get advice on meal planning and options and don't forget to start to make exercise a part of your life (you too! don't just make him do it or it may feel like a punishment!) A walk after dinner together is good to start with!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help other than his need dad needs a serious talking to!!! He's killing his son with kindness :disappointed:
  • tabby_123
    tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I apologize as my comment isn't really productive, but your son's father gives him half-and-half for a drink? As in the dairy creamer?
  • IAmAPearl
    IAmAPearl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know this not on point with your question, but we signed our 10 year old up for football when we were given a stern talking to by the ped about his weight. He was really hesitant because he never liked sports, but he got more and more into it. Weirdly, he started to WANT to make better food choices because he wanted to be a better athlete haha. He asked me for protein bars awhile ago, which was a no, but he has started to really like peanut butter and celery over ranch because peanut butter is "protein packed" - his words. He's goofy, but he has slimmed down and is making better choices for himself. Maybe something like that could help.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For comfort and encouragement, both for you and your son:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/June-2001/Heavy/

Twelve years old? How about you and your son negotiating how you will best accommodate the doctor's orders? The more in control he feels, the more likely he is going to comply. You know to watch for food hoarding, right?

Twelve year olds don't care about next year, not to mention end-of-life. They are in to immediate rewards and concerns as in, will they have any friends in school? I think if the boy had any hope that he could get mobility back by dieting he'd give it a go. But he has a legitimate fear that no matter what he does, he's going to lose his knees and his dignity.

Advise the dad of the doctor's orders, and the doctor of potential parental sabotage.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    tabby_123 wrote: »
    I apologize as my comment isn't really productive, but your son's father gives him half-and-half for a drink? As in the dairy creamer?

That's my thought too.
    However, there are drinks called "half and half" that ate half iced tea, half lemonade. Snapple, Arnold Palmer, etc.

Sugar isn't to blame here. And don't demonize it.
    It's overeating. Period.
    He's a kid, there are going to be birthdays, holidays, events and there will be cake. And if you try and ban sugar, it very well could end up with him having disordered eating patterns and no one wants that.

Talk to a registered dietitian that specializes with kids, bring the kid's dad, bring the kid.
    Talk about balancing. Cake is fine, in moderation. Burgers are fine, in moderation. "Half and half" (really hope not the creamer) is fine in moderation.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do not demonize sugar (which by the way all fruits and veggies contain sugar). I would take him to a pediatric nutritionist.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: the courts can address diet. File a motion asking to have the terms of visitation reviewed. Half and half isn't a beverage. Good luck!
  • elphie754
    Options
    OP: the courts can address diet. File a motion asking to have the terms of visitation reviewed. Half and half isn't a beverage. Good luck!

I have a feeling they were talking about half iced tea/half lemonade (which the diet snapple version is awesome btw), not half and half the creamer.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do not demonize sugar (which by the way all fruits and veggies contain sugar). I would take him to a pediatric nutritionist.

Who's demonizing?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Who's demonizing?

I think it's because OP's thread starts with "No Sugar"

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options

Who's demonizing?

I get that.
    Still not demonizing. :) Perhaps the poster is suggesting the OP might be doing that in conversations with her child. I don't see any evidence of that.
    Nor are we demonizing half and half. :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I have a feeling they were talking about half iced tea/half lemonade (which the diet snapple version is awesome btw), not half and half the creamer.

ahhh. an arnold palmer? could be! I've never heard it called half and half before.

Regardless. The courts can address dietary concerns (just like religious concerns are addressed etc...)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    scsteen wrote: »
    My son is 12, 234 pounds as of today and having knee pain. Doc said to cut out sugar, period. Any advice? My son is genetically predisposed to be "a barrel with legs". He is very tender hearted, very much ashamed/aware of his weight and as likely to fight me as make changes. I keep it dietetically between the beacons at home - mostly. That's going to change to all but always, starting with sugar. A bigger problem is my son's dad, who refuses to acknowledge the weight issue. My son sees his dad daily (court ordered), and their time together almost always includes food - usually cheeseburgers or fritters with half and half for a beverage.
    - Anyone else been here? What do I need to know first and worst? Thanks for reading.

Your son's doctor is an imbecile. The bolded text above is what's the problem, not sugar. If you can't see that, then I don't know how else to help you. If he is eating that kind of stuff daily, there's your answer right there. You never even mentioned sugar.

• elphie754
    Options

Who's demonizing?

I get that.
    Still not demonizing. :) Perhaps the poster is suggesting the OP might be doing that in conversations with her child. I don't see any evidence of that.

The doctor telling them no sugar, is demonizing sugar (and should know better). If you tell a kid they can't eat XY and z, chances are when they are at a friends house or school, guess what they are going to eat?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Who's demonizing?

I get that.

The OP's post says " Doc said to cut out sugar, period." That's not necessarily "demonizing", but it's sure as heck restrictive. Especially with a 12-year-old.

I would seek out another pediatrician or a registered dietitian for more help. And the father has to be on board. Not sure what to say about that, sorry.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help other than his need dad needs a serious talking to!!! He's killing his son with kindness :disappointed:

Nothing about what that man is feeding his son is "kind". It's borderline abuse to continually overfeed a child who has no say and doesn't know any better. Children trust their parents, it's the parents' job to not abuse that trust by allowing them things that are detrimental to their health.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The problem I see with totally taking out sugar is that he will begin secret eating, hiding sugary foods, binge on anything he can find when no one is around. How about adding more fruits and veggies and limiting his snacks/treats to reasonable amounts. I agree with seeing a nutrition. If you stop completely on the sugar, it will not end well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options

Who's demonizing?

I get that.

The doctor telling them no sugar, is demonizing sugar (and should know better). If you tell a kid they can't eat XY and z, chances are when they are at a friends house or school, guess what they are going to eat?

No. Its not. He'll still get plenty (at his friend's house etc). If mom removes the sugary snacks from home, he'll still get plenty. If mom goes on and on about the evils of sugar, then yes, that *could* turn into a problem. Removing something from the home does not defacto equate to demonizing.