4th week of my new healthy lifestyle but NO results.

Options

Replies

• OgahpahBear
    Options
    It looks to me that you need to eat more calories. I know it sounds crazy, but your body may be switching into starvation mode. With your activity level I would suggest netting between 1500 and 1700 calories everyday. Even though you aren't losing much weight, it sounds like you are feeding your body better and getting plenty of cardiovascular benefit. You can manually adjust your MFP to change the number of calories you want to eat per day. Additionally, you may have not reached the point where your body is not building muscle anymore. It is important to take pictures of yourself before starting a wellness program. In many cases I have noticed a change in the mirror and how my clothes feel before the scale will show any progression. Stick to your program and eat a little bit more healthy food and you will see results before you know it.
  • charnelle7
    Options
    I think you should do more cardio besides walking. Even though this form of exercise is effective, it's always fun to add more varieties of workouts. You'll also see more results! And remember, you have to burn more calories than you eat. If able, try working out twice a day.
  • ingridisazombie
    ingridisazombie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is all very frustrating to me because I have been on diets in the past, I've seen countless nutritionists throughout my life and I've learned a few things throughout the years, I'm not new at dieting and counting calories, but back then (from when I was 14 to 20) I didn't do nearly half the exercise I do today.

Take a look at the math.

I think you set your goal to lose 1 pound a week you said? So, MFP estimates the amount of calories you need for basic bodily functions and your everyday normal activities and comes up with 2,000 calories a day. Then it subtracts 500 because you said you want to lose a pound a week, and your goal is now 1500.

BUT, MFP does not include your exercise calories in this goal. When you exercise, you need more fuel for that.

So, you eat 1,500 cals + you burned 300 calories, you are now supposed to eat 1,800 that day.

But you said you are really averaging about 1300-1400 a day. 1300 - the 300 calories you burned = a NET of 1,000. That is not enough.

What you are doing is suppressing your metabolism by eating too few calories. You create too much stress on your body, and your body responds by releasing cortisol. This is a hormone that will actually prevent you from losing weight.

I am aware of this, after I work out, I eat all the calories I have left, therefore I do eat over almost the 1800 calories because of my work out.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    have you seen this? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

(There is a revised version, but I was too busy to search through a million threads to find it - this one is basically the same)

Here is the short version:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+n'+sweet&page=1#posts-14887744
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This is all very frustrating to me because I have been on diets in the past, I've seen countless nutritionists throughout my life and I've learned a few things throughout the years, I'm not new at dieting and counting calories, but back then (from when I was 14 to 20) I didn't do nearly half the exercise I do today.

Take a look at the math.

I think you set your goal to lose 1 pound a week you said? So, MFP estimates the amount of calories you need for basic bodily functions and your everyday normal activities and comes up with 2,000 calories a day. Then it subtracts 500 because you said you want to lose a pound a week, and your goal is now 1500.

BUT, MFP does not include your exercise calories in this goal. When you exercise, you need more fuel for that.

So, you eat 1,500 cals + you burned 300 calories, you are now supposed to eat 1,800 that day.

But you said you are really averaging about 1300-1400 a day. 1300 - the 300 calories you burned = a NET of 1,000. That is not enough.

What you are doing is suppressing your metabolism by eating too few calories. You create too much stress on your body, and your body responds by releasing cortisol. This is a hormone that will actually prevent you from losing weight.

I am aware of this, after I work out, I eat all the calories I have left, therefore I do eat over almost the 1800 calories because of my work out.

Okay, then if you are measuring food accurately as you say your are, there could be other hormonal issues going on, or, your goals are not set realistically.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    Your body is not going into starvation mode. Please do not listen to that nonsense. People throw that around WAY too much.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, I am very active throughout the day and I have a routine of work out. On MFP I have an intake of 1500 calories, and I usually fluctuate from 1300-1400 on an average day. My initial weight was 220 and right now I'm 219. I drink green tea every day, I drink more than 8 cups of water a day. I AM counting my calories every day. My weekends are very hectic and I don't eat at the normal hours that I do during the week but I still do breakfast, lunch and dinner, I have cut off beer and I rarely get any fast food. I measure absolutely EVERYTHING, I'm definitely not doing this half assedly and expecting results. I do cardio every day (40 minutes to 1 hr walking at a fast pace), I'm a child care provider so I'm on my feet moving around most of the day. I am doing all my math and I'm sticking to portions. I'm quite positive I don't over eat .

Maybe it's just too few calories for you. When I started out I was eating under 1500 calories every day and NOTHING was changing. Didn't lose an ounce. Raised my calories to eat the 1700 in my goal, and started seeing results.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    If you would open your diary we could look through it and get a better idea of why this is occurring.
  • kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hire a trainer. Seriously.

I did this and started seeing and feeling the results real soon. Try taking your measurements once a month. It's like Christmas morning when you see the number on the tape getting smaller.
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    Have you ever been tested for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? (PCOS) I have this and it can make it very hard to lose weight. Perhaps a visit to the doctor for bloodwork is in order, just to check your levels and make sure your thyroid and other things are as they should be.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong (based on OP, I did not look at your diary), You just haven't given it enough time. 4 weeks is nothing compared to the rest of your life. Keep doing what you are doing, it'll work out.

ETA: Exercise can cause you to retain water. That can mask your weight loss. Also, at your size and height, perhaps you are not eating enough. Check out this group, they can help you figure out what you should be doing. They will request that you open your diary.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Your body is not going into starvation mode. Please do not listen to that nonsense. People throw that around WAY too much.

NO.

When a person undereats, metabolism does slow. The body has many complex ways of dealing with what it perceives as starvation. That's why severe calorie restricted diets not only fail for weight loss, they damage overall health. I know from experience.

OP: Also, don't listen to the advice to increase cardio. Walking every day and being active overall is good enough. However, strength training is a win. Sometimes building muscles slows the weight loss as seen on the scale, but your body will get smaller and you will feel awesome. That doesn't mean you need a fancy gym and equipment. My "routine" involves playing outside with my child, simple body weight exercises, and just doing a variety of activities around the house and outside. It's not rocket science.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    CupcakesAndRazorblades Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and left the site for a couple of days to clear my head. I am focusing on how much better I feel when I workout and eat better instead of weight. It WILL come but focusing on the other things makes me feel better.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining some muscle tone and losing some fat in just enough of a way that it's balancing itself out from a weight loss standpoint, and that it may be too soon for measurements to change noticeably. Starting the lifestyle change in eating is key, and you're doing that. I do know how frustrating it is when the scale and measuring tape don't move! Hang in there -- get the lifestyle habits down and then you can look at whether or not you need to make other tweaks in amounts, types of food, etc. Regardless, your health is improving and that is critical :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your 1500 plus exercise calories for your cardio workout so that you NET 1500 calories.

This!

OP, you don't eat enough. EAT MORE FOOD.
  • Kai81109
    Kai81109 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    try cutting calories back to 1200 and doing intense cardio. Meaning run for 2 min then jog for 1 then fast walk 1 keep doing this till your sweating bad. and try some strength training it burns more calories on a constant then cardio does. cardio only burns while your doing it.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand your frustration. I'm wondering if hormones TOM could figure into it. Do you weigh yourself every week? Is there up/down? Don't give up - you can do this! Also, how do you feel? Do you feel any healthier or more energetic? That's important too! Just know that we have all been there, and you will get through this and be successful! Good Luck!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My dad had a heart attack on Saturday. It was the scariest moment of my life. You may not see results now but not having a heart attack when you are in your 60s or 70s will be freaking awesome.

Sometimes what we DO NOT SEE are the best results.

:heart:
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I know personally I don't loose weight if I eat back all the calories I burned exercising. I'll eat a couple hundred more (my calorie goal is set for 1200), but no more than 1500 a day. I know it's a heated subject on here, but I know what works for me. I'm not starving myself and my weight-loss is consistent long term when I follow that plan. I have a day every other week that is, in essence, a 'cheat day' and that does not effect my weight loss goals.