4th week of my new healthy lifestyle but NO results.

Options

Replies

• mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It took me over a year for me to notice my results. I was weighing and seeing the weight go down, but I didn't actually see the difference. Other people were seeing it though, so don't get discouraged. Sometimes, you are your own worst enemy. Just work the system and let the system work.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has looked at your diary, but I did.

You aren't committed to this! You are under-eating some days, over-eating others, and not consistently logging. You aren't using the program the way that it was designed. Your calorie goal is probably set waaaaay too low, but that doesn't really matter because you aren't really logging everything anyway. MFP is designed to allow you to monitor your diet. But you started your account and didn't use it the way it was meant to be used, and now you are one step away from declaring that this doesn't work for you so you can have an excuse to give up.

If this doesn't work for you, it is because you failed and not the system!
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    Your body is not going into starvation mode. Please do not listen to that nonsense. People throw that around WAY too much.

NO.

When a person undereats, metabolism does slow. The body has many complex ways of dealing with what it perceives as starvation. That's why severe calorie restricted diets not only fail for weight loss, they damage overall health. I know from experience.

OP: Also, don't listen to the advice to increase cardio. Walking every day and being active overall is good enough. However, strength training is a win. Sometimes building muscles slows the weight loss as seen on the scale, but your body will get smaller and you will feel awesome. That doesn't mean you need a fancy gym and equipment. My "routine" involves playing outside with my child, simple body weight exercises, and just doing a variety of activities around the house and outside. It's not rocket science.

Meh, I don't think starvation mode is the issue here. To each their own. She's eating 1300-1400 calories a day. That is not a "severe calorie restricted diet".
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Your body is not going into starvation mode. Please do not listen to that nonsense. People throw that around WAY too much.

NO.

When a person undereats, metabolism does slow. The body has many complex ways of dealing with what it perceives as starvation. That's why severe calorie restricted diets not only fail for weight loss, they damage overall health. I know from experience.

OP: Also, don't listen to the advice to increase cardio. Walking every day and being active overall is good enough. However, strength training is a win. Sometimes building muscles slows the weight loss as seen on the scale, but your body will get smaller and you will feel awesome. That doesn't mean you need a fancy gym and equipment. My "routine" involves playing outside with my child, simple body weight exercises, and just doing a variety of activities around the house and outside. It's not rocket science.

Meh, I don't think starvation mode is the issue here. To each their own. She's eating 1300-1400 calories a day. That is not a "severe calorie restricted diet".

It is if she is tall. But you are right. That is not what is going on here. OP is not logging consistently.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

NO.

For someone who is 5'7" and the level of activity she has, and as young as she is, that is not very much. I'm almost twice her age and I eat more than that to lose weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You aren't committed to this! You are under-eating some days, over-eating others, and not consistently logging. You aren't using the program the way that it was designed. Your calorie goal is probably set waaaaay too low, but that doesn't really matter because you aren't really logging everything anyway. MFP is designed to allow you to monitor your diet. But you started your account and didn't use it the way it was meant to be used, and now you are one step away from declaring that this doesn't work for you so you can have an excuse to give up.

In...

...to see if we can figure out if it's the system or the execution of it.

My bet is on the execution, but I could be wrong.

OP, if you're going to "try MFP", then try it as it was designed to be used. *Then*...and only then...if you don't see progress and you try a few adjustments...*then* you can say that it doesn't work for you. (Well, actually, if that is how this play out, then you should visit a medical professional to make sure you don't have any underlying issues...but let's not jump ahead too quickly here. Let's start with doing the basics.)
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary, your eating pretty well, but VERY irregularily. There are days you are under eating and sojme you are over eating. I would also guess that you are over estimating your walking speeds as well. there fore overestimating the calories, so eating more than you are burning. I would look into getting some sort of tracking device (smart phones have apps) that you can track your walking speed and distance, if you are not already. If that is not the case, look at eating more regularily.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options

^^This.
    I just took a look at your diary, and was only patient enough to go back until May 23rd. You log very inconsistently, you often do not log a dinner(or eat it? not sure) and your calories(if they WERE accurate) are up and down and all over the place!

If you're dedicated to losing...

Log EVERYTHING... If you are 100% honest about the things you eat, there is less room for "not knowing" where you may be going wrong. If your log is not up-to-date, it's so hard for us to tell you what you are ACTUALLY doing wrong, because you don't even realize there's nothing to base it off of! Try to work on it. Stay at 1500cals a day, and eat back exercise(you didn't do this on days that I saw you earned extra) calories... Ensure you drink enough water, and if you are walking every day-keep it up. That is it's own benefit in itself :)
  • ingridisazombie
    ingridisazombie Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Man, I thought this was motivation and support, not a nest of vipers. Thanks for the nasty comment. I downloaded the app a long time ago but only really started using it about a month ago. I don't always log what I eat, that's true, but my commitment to weight loss and exercise goes beyond an app or a website. Granted, there were some days where I didn't eat ALL the calories, but I made sure I ate enough, drank enough, worked out enough, I'm not here to make excuses for myself but have an actual and legitimate problem and I didn't come here to be told that I FAIL.

I will definitely make an effort to log all my intake and exercise but I wont promise I will all the time because on top of working out I do have a very demanding and busy schedule and it might look like I'm under eating or over eating or not exercising enough, the app for me is a lot of help and a wonderful guide but if you're going to judge me based on that then no thanks, I'm not here to prove myself to anyone and from now on I guess I'll go take my issues somewhere else, thank you though!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Man, I thought this was motivation and support, not a nest of vipers. Thanks for the nasty comment. I downloaded the app a long time ago but only really started using it about a month ago. I don't always log what I eat, that's true, but my commitment to weight loss and exercise goes beyond an app or a website. Granted, there were some days where I didn't eat ALL the calories, but I made sure I ate enough, drank enough, worked out enough, I'm not here to make excuses for myself but have an actual and legitimate problem and I didn't come here to be told that I FAIL.

I will definitely make an effort to log all my intake and exercise but I wont promise I will all the time because on top of working out I do have a very demanding and busy schedule and it might look like I'm under eating or over eating or not exercising enough, the app for me is a lot of help and a wonderful guide but if you're going to judge me based on that then no thanks, I'm not here to prove myself to anyone and from now on I guess I'll go take my issues somewhere else, thank you though!

No one attacked you. You came here claiming that you weren't seeing any progress. Your diary revealed exactly why you weren't making progress, and we told you as such. You need to get your head on straight and start holding yourself accountable or you are going to keep yourself trapped in a vicious cycle. You are only putting in half the effort if you aren't using the app and the website properly, and that's the nitty-gritty. Any other issues you might have with weight loss cannot even be pinpointed if your diary is not accurate.

Best of luck!
  • ingridisazombie
    Options
    I beg to differ, I joined the community a few days ago and i definitely didn't use the app to 100% there are ways to tell people things instead of being rude and discouraging but if that works for you that's great.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I beg to differ, I joined the community a few days ago and i definitely didn't use the app to 100% there are ways to tell people things instead of being rude and discouraging but if that works for you that's great.

It's called 'honesty'. Sorry you didn't like my brand of it. Your profile says you joined in January and you said yourself that you have been trying for four weeks. Try using the app and website accurately for four weeks and give us an update.
  • lilkat_0087
    lilkat_0087 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Where was anybody rude? Learn to take some constructive criticism and read through the replies again.
  • ingridisazombie
    Options
    I did and I only quoted the reply that was rude. If that's considered "constructive" we must have a very different definition. Anyways, I appreciate that most people were kind enough to point out what could help me more. Especially the ovarian cyst syndrome which I did have when I was younger, I will check that out.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Every single day people come on here asking why they're not losing weight, and every day it turns out that they're not counting their calories - they're estimating their calories. And then they get defensive when this is pointed out...I'm not sure why. People are just trying to help. You asked why it wasn't working, and you were answered. Eyeballing portion sizes and/or not logging doesn't work. The very first thing you have to do is get very honest about your calories. If you were on a deficit, you would have lost weight - if nothing else then just the water weight that everyone loses when the body uses up its stored glycogen (ready energy) which is the first thing that happens when you're not eating enough energy to meet your daily needs. If you haven't lost a single pound, you're not in a deficit.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I think you are taking things more personally than they are meant. The bad thing about the internet is we put what ever tone we decide to on someone elses posts. We can not hear how they mean something.

Motivation and support is not always going to be the rah rah rah kind of thing around here. Also, you had an issue, they were simply responding to it.

Not all of us are people pleasers. I am not the kind of person to tell someone something to make them feel better if I am not being true to the subject matter. I have found that people that are people pleasers have a hard time accepting hearing anything other than what pleases them as well. This does not mean that people like me are being harsh or nasty, we are being honest in order to help you, and we are being true to ourselves.

Good luck in your new lifestyle. I hope you are able to take suggestions from people that have changed their whole life and apply them to your life to help you, instead of getting upset that you are not being "motivated and supported".
  • ingridisazombie
    Options
    Nope, I think in the fitness world people need to be kinder, if you're not, that's good and all but I didn't come here to be led by the hand, and I also don't appreciate that kind of "honest" talk but hey if that means I'm taking things personally then yeah, I am an individual and I don't go around treating everyone equal just because that's who I am. I got my response way before I even got to the rude comment but now I'll think twice about the forum.

Every day there WILL continue to be people like me who make the same mistakes and ask for the same things. We're not psychic and if people dont want to answer the same thing over and over then dont. Motivation is about being positive and lending a hand. If this was my third time asking the same question then by all means, even yell at me. But man, why forget that kindness takes you a long way?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ok first off, while I believe in active rest days, I do not believe in double sessions 7 days a week. You need days off. Your body is stressed out for sure.

Also drink more water and play with your macros. You may have too many carbs (and not enough salt). Have you had your blood checked? Vit D deficient/

Your doc must be a part of your diet regimen!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow. Since when is providing factually correct information that specifically addresses the problem as presented considered rude?

(Dear all of MFP: I can't speak for everyone else, but when *I* ask a question in the forums, please do not sacrifice factual information and accuracy in order to phrase your responses in a way that you believe will be less likely to hurt my feelings.)

OP, I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. You got this! :flowerforyou: - ©2013
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Nope, I think in the fitness world people need to be kinder, if you're not, that's good and all but I didn't come here to be led by the hand, and I also don't appreciate that kind of "honest" talk but hey if that means I'm taking things personally then yeah, I am an individual and I don't go around treating everyone equal just because that's who I am. I got my response way before I even got to the rude comment but now I'll think twice about the forum.

Every day there WILL continue to be people like me who make the same mistakes and ask for the same things. We're not psychic and if people dont want to answer the same thing over and over then dont. Motivation is about being positive and lending a hand. If this was my third time asking the same question then by all means, even yell at me. But man, why forget that kindness takes you a long way?

Nobody was wrong in how they responded, and IMO that when you post that you are looking to see where you are going wrong, it is hard for anybody to actually tell you(on a site where nearly everyone logs their calories/foods/day) where you are going wrong if they can't see what you are actually doing. You opened up your diary for people to help you out, and that's what we're willing to do-but you, have to go that extra length to show us what you are actually doing. Unless you log(for yourself) offline, are you 100% sure that you are staying below/at/above those calorie limits? We can't tell either!

And you're not going to get the "that-a-girl" attitude from everyone on here, and honesty(no matter what form) is key on here. And the guy you're quoting was not "rude" in a the slightest-he's just telling you how he sees it(as I and many others saw). If you're asking for an opinion on where you are going wrong and say you do this, that and the third other thing, and then open your diary for it to be seen - and the two don't match-you're going to get statements about how your logging is inaccurate... That doesn't mean you're really doing something wrong, it just means we CAN'T see where you're going wrong... And can't offer much assistance but tell you to "log" and see if the results change!

For many, logging every detail is key to their success. If you're not showing the "effort" you say you do, it's hard for us to be 100% sure that you're doing the right thing or give us a way to tell you HOW to fix the problem you're experiencing...

In all honesty, try to log more regularly. Make sure you are doing everything 100% right, and we can help point you in the right direction if you're STILL not seeing results... But, best of luck!