Reducing Meat Intake

Options

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I was unaware of this until today, but I suppose it reaffirms my point about animal welfare prior to slaughter
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11384505/Secret-halal-slaughterhouse-film-reveals-horrific-animal-abuse.html

I see no benefit in watching things like that. I've already made the decision not to eat meat and I'm aware of what goes on in slaughterhouses.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was unaware of this until today, but I suppose it reaffirms my point about animal welfare prior to slaughter
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11384505/Secret-halal-slaughterhouse-film-reveals-horrific-animal-abuse.html

What was your point? How does this affirm it?

Some people in the UK were not following standards of slaughter. And? Even the religious leaders found this abhorrent. When it's done right, it's not news.

Confirmation bias, doing it right. :wtf:

As you can see from the first paragraph in this thread I made reference to animal care from being reared to slaughter. That's my point and a fair one I believe. The fact cameras have made it into this particular abattoir allows us to see first hand the abuse that can and does take place. Is it widespread? I've no idea as we generally don't see the practices that routinely take place.
    I'm not vegan/vegetarian so I don't have an agenda to make people stop eating meat, just consider the way in which it reaches our plate.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Some people in the UK were not following standards of slaughter. And? Even the religious leaders found this abhorrent. When it's done right, it's not news.

As you can see from the first paragraph in this thread I made reference to animal care from being reared to slaughter. That's my point and a fair one I believe. The fact cameras have made it into this particular abattoir allows us to see first hand the abuse that can and does take place. Is it widespread? I've no idea as we generally don't see the practices that routinely take place.
    I'm not vegan/vegetarian so I don't have an agenda to make people stop eating meat, just consider the way in which it reaches our plate.
    Probably time to buy local and figure out who you want to support going forward, right?

• PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do buy local as previously stated
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Good, your now part of the solution.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    ...I'd still take a steak from a badly treated cow over a vegetarian lasagne any day of the week.

Personally, I'd prefer to eat a steak from a well-treated cow (like the grass-fed, free range cows on my uncle's ranch.) I would much rather prefer to eat a vegetarian lasagne over eating a steak from an animal that I knew had been mistreated or tortured. I am a meat eater myself, but I can see no reason to celebrate or make light of the abuse of animals.

P.S. Vegetarian lasagne is delicious...unless made by a terrible cook. Try it sometime. :)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...I'd still take a steak from a badly treated cow over a vegetarian lasagne any day of the week.

Personally, I'd prefer to eat a steak from a well-treated cow (like the grass-fed, free range cows on my uncle's ranch.) I would much rather prefer to eat a vegetarian lasagne over eating a steak from an animal that I knew had been mistreated or tortured. I am a meat eater myself, but I can see no reason to celebrate or make light of the abuse of animals.

P.S. Vegetarian lasagne is delicious...unless made by a terrible cook. Try it sometime. :)
    Agreed. I made a mushroom, cheese and tomato based lasagne with homemade noodles that are now in full rotation on my menu's.

• Laurend224
    Options
    This whole thread reminds me of the Meet Your Meat scene in The Restaurant at the End of The Universe.

I will be Arthur Dent and have the green salad, please. ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Is it? I thought it was about reducing meat intake. As per thread title.

And no, you aren't seeing it "first hand" not by a long shot. The rest is supposition/speculation as to it being wide spread. I'm pretty sure the halal butcher down the street would be offended by the practice of these guys. He's very religious.

But good of you to go local. I've been trying/doing that for many many years. It doesn't induce me to not eat meat.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Also check out freelee the banana girl on YouTube she kinda inspired my decision.

Bahahahahaha......seriously?

I hadn't heard of Freelee the banana girl so Googled.

Wow... Is all I have to say there.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    This whole thread reminds me of the Meet Your Meat scene in The Restaurant at the End of The Universe.

I have all the hitchhiker books in a bound edition. Such good reading.
  • Laurend224
    Options

I have all the hitchhiker books in a bound edition. Such good reading.

Some of my favorites!
  • neanderthin
    Options

See I wouldn't. Ultimately it's going to be stunned with a non penetrating bolt gun, hung upside down, bled, flayed, and butchered. So, well treated or not, it's been dead quite a while before it reaches my plate.

Like I said, I'd prefer it if they were well treated, but it's not important enough to make me choose a vegetarian dish over the steak. If it were I suspect I would be a vegetarian.
    Most people believe that Styrofoam is part of the cow, so your ahead of the curve at least.

• DonnellHensley567
    Options
    Meat is a good source of protein and most of the people take it to build rock hard muscle, but I don't prefer it much and I always eat veggies and still I am fit and strong.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Meat is a good source of protein and most of the people take it to build rock hard muscle, but I don't prefer it much and I always eat veggies and still I am fit and strong.
    I eat animal protein because of taste first and foremost, protein for muscle can be consumed elsewhere.

• neanderthin
    Options

See I wouldn't. Ultimately it's going to be stunned with a non penetrating bolt gun, hung upside down, bled, flayed, and butchered. So, well treated or not, it's been dead quite a while before it reaches my plate.

Like I said, I'd prefer it if they were well treated, but it's not important enough to make me choose a vegetarian dish over the steak. If it were I suspect I would be a vegetarian.
    Most people believe that Styrofoam is part of the cow, so your ahead of the curve at least.

Yeah, I suppose it's because I've killed and dressed food before. Also because I've seen how *kitten* natural life is for animals - most domestic cattle strains would be lucky to last a few generations before dying out.
    Dressed a buck just before Christmas that a friend brought down with a bow from less that 100 meters..... funny though I have no problem dressing but I couldn't actually kill anything, such is life.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

There is no such thing as vegetarian lasagna (biased because I am Italian)... it is a quiche.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    So you're happy with steroids, antibiotics, growth hormones etc being pumped into your food? There has to be consideration given to animal welfare, stress and health if you plan to feed that meat to yourself and your family. There are too many incidents or rotting meat, illegal disposal of carcasses including horsemeat being pumped into processed meat products for me to simply disregard it as being just food.

It depends where you source your food from. I take it you check the soil conditions - including antibiotic concentrations from animal manure, pesticides used, impact on environment of large scale agriculture, destruction of wildlife habitat by industrial combines, and so on every time you eat food?

Bad quality food is bad quality foodwhether it's plant or animal sourced. As for animal welfare, whilst I would prefer food animals to be reared in humane conditions, I'd still take a steak from a badly treated cow over a vegetarian lasagne any day of the week.
    I'm glad you said that, because even if it's bad quality food, it's still food. I don't like the way some people call bad quality or less nutrient-dense food "garbage"
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see those 'tolerant' vegans and vegetarians have flagged my post for abuse. I think that says more about them than me.

I should also say that the vast majority of vegans and vegetarians I know in real life and who post on the board are lovely people. But you're always going to get a few loonies at the fringe I suppose.

What does "tolerance" have to do with it, and why assume that it's the vegetarians who flagged your comment? (I have not idea why it was flagged, it doesn't violate any rules. But as we know that doesn't really matter here it seems.)

1) Quotes can be used to indicate sarcasm.
    2) It was vegans. Really.

It wasn't this vegan! Judgy, 'meat is murder, so you're a murderer' vegans annoy the heck out of me. They happen to be the most vocal of the bunch and tend to be off putting to most people.
    You're my favorite vegan
  • Laurend224
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Interesting to see those 'tolerant' vegans and vegetarians have flagged my post for abuse. I think that says more about them than me.

I should also say that the vast majority of vegans and vegetarians I know in real life and who post on the board are lovely people. But you're always going to get a few loonies at the fringe I suppose.

What does "tolerance" have to do with it, and why assume that it's the vegetarians who flagged your comment? (I have not idea why it was flagged, it doesn't violate any rules. But as we know that doesn't really matter here it seems.)

1) Quotes can be used to indicate sarcasm.
    2) It was vegans. Really.

It wasn't this vegan! Judgy, 'meat is murder, so you're a murderer' vegans annoy the heck out of me. They happen to be the most vocal of the bunch and tend to be off putting to most people.
    You're my favorite vegan

B)