coke light, diet soda, sprite zero

Options
Do you guys believe that because these drinks prove to have less than 10 calories in each 250ml are safe to drink and do not course weight gain?

Replies

• jdstathopoulos
    jdstathopoulos Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think cutting soda out completely is the best option to lose/maintain weight. I have nothing scientific to back that up, but personally lost fat and gained muscle when I stopped drinking any sort of soda.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you guys believe that because these drinks prove to have less than 10 calories in each 250ml are safe to drink and do not course weight gain?

So far I have lost 60 lbs while drinKing diet coke and it is not being eliminated any time soon.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's calories that matter for weight loss. There is no reason why these drinks alone would inhibit weight loss.

However, if someone is unable to enjoy their diet coke without a side of chips then it may be best from them to avoid it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't know if they do or not. I've had no issues with drinking Coke Zero occasionally, but I'm a little eh on the sweetness. I hate the taste of aspartame evident in every other diet soda, and I'm not blowing 200 or whatever calories on a drink. Lately I really like Lime Perrier when I want something fizzy.

(but i'm a weird one, plain tap water is actually my favourite drink of all & always has been)
  • jdstathopoulos
    Options
    It's calories that matter for weight loss. There is no reason why these drinks alone would inhibit weight loss.

However, if someone is unable to enjoy their diet coke without a side of chips then it may be best from them to avoid it.

True, I never buy soda for home. I only drink it when I'm out to eat. I stopped going out to eat as often, and stopped drinking it completely
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Also, while I can usually pick up the horrible aspartame flavour with all diet drinks except for Coke Zero, it's occurred to me that I might accidentally wind up being served the full-calorie version when out (because it's happened).
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    They are definitely a better choice compared to the normal sodas with all that sugar, the only thing about the diet sodas is that they give me a huge appetite and they bloat me, so I dnt have a flat stomach when I drink them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is caused by surplus calories

I drink diet sodas daily within my defecit ...1 or 2 330ml cans a day
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I think cutting soda out completely is the best option to lose/maintain weight. I have nothing scientific to back that up, but personally lost fat and gained muscle when I stopped drinking any sort of soda.

LOL

So that's all you did huh? No progressive weight training, no calorie restriction (whether counting or not)

*sceptical face*
  • jdstathopoulos
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

LOL

So that's all you did huh? No progressive weight training, no calorie restriction (whether counting or not)

*sceptical face*

Read my next one. I said that I stopped going out to eat as well. And yes, started working out more.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight drinking regular coke... I don't see why there would be any problem drinking 10 calorie drinks. After all, calorie deficit is what's important, not the specific type of drink. :drinker:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

LOL

*sceptical face*

Read my next one. I said that I stopped going out to eat as well. And yes, started working out more.

MFP board lag, you only had one post when I commented, in fact there was just you, me and OP on my screen ...weird old forum
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i love coke zero, if its not available i will drink diet coke or sprite zero. Dont want to waste my calories on full fat drinks. It hasnt stopped my progress.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Unnecessary to give up anything. It's CICO that matter.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Your overall diet matters, if stopping the soda makes you concentrate more on how and what you eat then do it. If you are covering all the majors (calories, macros, nutrient rich, diverse diet) and still want soda, do that.

It isn't important in any major way.

Personally I don't drink soda much - but it's a taste/culture thing.

• kiarapooch
    kiarapooch Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi guys. I use to be addicted to coca cola and i no that sounds dramatic but i was. If i didnt have a bottle of coke i would get headaches start shaking and have huge mood swings. I use to drink 4ltrs a day and put on so much weight. I switched for zero coke and died pepsi and cut down my calories and in 7 weeks i have lost 13 pounds. I still drink a bottle og zero or diet coke a day but im still loosing weight
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    kiarapooch wrote: »
    Hi guys. I use to be addicted to coca cola and i no that sounds dramatic but i was. If i didnt have a bottle of coke i would get headaches start shaking and have huge mood swings. I use to drink 4ltrs a day and put on so much weight. I switched for zero coke and died pepsi and cut down my calories and in 7 weeks i have lost 13 pounds. I still drink a bottle og zero or diet coke a day but im still loosing weight

That's the caffeine effect, to a large extent.
    Yikes, if you were drinking 4 liters of coke - that's 1600 extra calories/per day.

Makes sense to have reduced that.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You all hate on diet soda drinks and I drink them. I am personally against people drinking alcohol (not here to discuss that) but I don't go making threads saying, "Alcohol is bad! Everyone should stop drinking it!"

You do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    You all hate on diet soda drinks and I drink them. I am personally against people drinking alcohol (not here to discuss that) but I don't go making threads saying, "Alcohol is bad! Everyone should stop drinking it!"

Wut? Did you even read the thread?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Wut? Did you even read the thread?
    Obviously not.