coke light, diet soda, sprite zero

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Calories in/Calories Out. So you count those 10, you don't go over your day and you are golden. I have a can of Diet Coke every day. Not impacting anything!
  • heartpie
    heartpie Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    On average, Americans drink about 1.5 cans per day. It doesn’t matter if you’re on a diet or not, one of the most popular ways to satisfy a sweet tooth is with a cold, refreshing soda.

Diet colas and sodas have long been considered a healthy alternative when trying to shed a few extra pounds. After all, diet sodas typically contain zero calories because the sugars are eliminated and replaced with no-calorie sweeteners. The problem, however, is that diet soda drinkers tend to experience accelerated weight gain, boosting their risk for both metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Researchers say that diet soda can make you gain weight.

Now, what in the what now? That’s a fair question. After all, how could a zero-calorie diet drink be seemingly worse for you than the sugar-packed alternatives? The main issue is that it causes people to make up for those lost calories elsewhere. They’ll say to themselves, “Okay, I’m having a diet soda with my Big Mac combo so I might as well get a large.” It sounds crazy, but the research backs it up.

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2014/02/theres-nothing-diet-about-diet-soda.html
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    I was big on reg. coke, and drank at least 2 or 3 glass a day. I was hooked. I dont think there was a day i didnt crave it. I cut it out all together, since it was high in calories and i was putting on more weight. I started drinking the coke zero, which is pretty close to reg. coke, but without the calories and i dont taste the sweetener. but again, i started drinking too much of it. Since starting on MFP i cut it out as well. Not because it made me gain weight but because i was changing my ways. Now, at least, when i do have a glass of coke zero, i enjoy it much more, since i have it as a treat and not every day anymore. I think it is a choice that you make, on whatever is right for you and whatever works for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just want to point out that some of our members that have the biggest losses, drink 2 or more diet sodas a day. CyberEd (one of the mods) has lost over 300 lbs and drinks 2 to 3 diet sodas.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think cutting soda out completely is the best option to lose/maintain weight. I have nothing scientific to back that up, but personally lost fat and gained muscle when I stopped drinking any sort of soda.

LOL

So that's all you did huh? No progressive weight training, no calorie restriction (whether counting or not)

*sceptical face*

Read my next one. I said that I stopped going out to eat as well. And yes, started working out more.

I would still question the gained muscle part. It's very hard to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. In fact, its fairly impossible outside of some noob gains or those who start out morbidly obese.

But fat loss, muscle retention and increased strength I could definitely see with changing your diet approach.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    On average, Americans drink about 1.5 cans per day. It doesn’t matter if you’re on a diet or not, one of the most popular ways to satisfy a sweet tooth is with a cold, refreshing soda.

Diet colas and sodas have long been considered a healthy alternative when trying to shed a few extra pounds. After all, diet sodas typically contain zero calories because the sugars are eliminated and replaced with no-calorie sweeteners. The problem, however, is that diet soda drinkers tend to experience accelerated weight gain, boosting their risk for both metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Researchers say that diet soda can make you gain weight.

Now, what in the what now? That’s a fair question. After all, how could a zero-calorie diet drink be seemingly worse for you than the sugar-packed alternatives? The main issue is that it causes people to make up for those lost calories elsewhere. They’ll say to themselves, “Okay, I’m having a diet soda with my Big Mac combo so I might as well get a large.” It sounds crazy, but the research backs it up.

The research backs correlation, not causation. This has already been covered endlessly in another thread on here in the past.

There's nothing that backs up weight gain with the consumption of diet soda while someone counts calories.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The main issue is that it causes people to make up for those lost calories elsewhere. They’ll say to themselves, “Okay, I’m having a diet soda with my Big Mac combo so I might as well get a large.” It sounds crazy, but the research backs it up.

It doesn't CAUSE people to do that. The only agent with willpower is you, not your food. However, I find it quite easy to believe that if you don't log or otherwise monitor your diet, many might easily make up the calories despite dropping them from soda (not everyone, of course--we probably all know people who lost weight just by switching). It's similar to how lots of people gain weight while training for a marathon (they replace the burned calories--I did this once upon a time) or even in some cases gain weight after dropping booze (I did this too--it's kind of amazing I didn't gain weight back when I switched to diet soda, actually, since I wasn't counting then). In part people think they have made this huge decrease in calories, so they can justify another cookie or larger piece of steak. Or maybe for some the cola calories were actually filling, although I suspect they would not be for me.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have one diet mountain dew per day and the rest of the day I have nothing but water. 5 weeks ago I was drinking no water and diet dew all day. I have lost nearly 12 pounds, and since I wasn't terribly overweight before, I would say that my one diet drink a day has had no negative effects on my ability to lose.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of Coke Zero or Canada Dry 10 every day and it hasn't hurt me a bit.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a lot of weight, switching to diet sodas helped. This time, no help whatsoever, because I rarely drink sugar sodas anymore anyway.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

And. There. It. Is.

You might want read the paper and see if you can spot the obvious confounding errors which make it worthless

The problem is that the whole thing's like a game of telephone once the media gets hold of it and the correlative speculation in the initial paper gets turned into conclusive fact.

See also: sugar addiction.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do you guys believe that because these drinks prove to have less than 10 calories in each 250ml are safe to drink and do not course weight gain?

So far I have lost 60 lbs while drinKing diet coke and it is not being eliminated any time soon.

This.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

And. There. It. Is.

You might want read the paper and see if you can spot the obvious confounding errors which make it worthless

Ok, there is NO public health study that can demonstrate causation because of the impossibility of going back in time and the real-world nature of its subject. The expectation that this kind of study should is misguided. Correlation is the best - the only thing - a public health study can do. Prospective studies can say things a little bit more confidently than retrospective ones, but yeah that's it.

That doesn't mean public health studies are "worthless". Many studies finding similar strong correlations points to something being up.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

And. There. It. Is.

Ok, there is NO public health study that can demonstrate causation because of the impossibility of going back in time and the real-world nature of its subject. The expectation that this kind of study should is misguided. Correlation is the best - the only thing - a public health study can do. Prospective studies can say things a little bit more confidently than retrospective ones, but yeah that's it.

That doesn't mean public health studies are "worthless". Many studies find similar strong correlations points to something being up.

This one is worthless for a number of reasons - confusing correlation and causation merely being the worst one.

None of them confuse correlation with causation. No public health researcher would ever say, in a published study, "corn causes unicorns to grow out of butts". The media might distort what they do say but they would say :"among those who ate xxx% of corn per xxx, xxx% grew unicorns from their gluteus maximus, and xx&% from their glute medius"
  • eunhyuk12
    Options
    Diet soda just makes me more hungry idk why. However zero cal Red Bull is amazing. I love those.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

And. There. It. Is.

That doesn't mean public health studies are "worthless". Many studies find similar strong correlations points to something being up.

This one is worthless for a number of reasons - confusing correlation and causation merely being the worst one.

None of them confuse correlation with causation. No public health researcher would ever say, in a published study, "corn causes unicorns to grow out of butts". The media might distort what they do say but they would say :"among those who ate xxx% of corn per xxx, xxx% grew unicorns from their gluteus maximus, and xx&% from their glute medius"

If you have that study- I'd love to read it haha..

To OP: many of us on this site have lost significant amounts of weight while still enjoying diet (and regular) sodas. If you still want to enjoy your diet sodas, enjoy them.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's a personal choice! I used to drink 32 oz of diet pepsi a day; now it's a Friday Treat! It doesn't make me crave sugar nor does it make me want to eat more. Everybody is different and you should do what you think is best for YOU!!
  • tomatoey
    Options

And. There. It. Is.

Actually they do.

Not if they're publishing in a peer-reviewed journal in the modern era.