5:2 diet and MFP

Options
Hi, i'm trying the 5:2 diet and using MFP to track calories, it would be helpful if MFP recognised diets like this. Is anyone else on 5:2 and if so do you stick to your advised weight loss calorie allowance intake for the 5 "feast" days?
I've been feeling really cold and tired too. Is this the diet and will it pass??
Thanks.

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of giving this a go and intend to stick to my calorie allowance on my 5 days as I fear gaining back any weight I might lose in the 2 day fast. I'm guessing you feel tired with no food in your body, no energy and also the reason why you feel cold so wrap up warm, drink hot soup and nurture your fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do Alternate day fasting. I stick to 500-700 calories on down days and my tdee of 1600 on up days.
    Altho I've been pretty terrible over the last few weeks with not adhering to it 100%.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    On my 1st fast day I felt cold as well
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The cold is just the lack of heat your body produces during digestion.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    And no, if you're doing 5:2, set it to maintain and don't eat over that on your no fast days. Your calorie deficit is created from the two days of fasting instead of over the whole week.
  • cradbent2000
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the 5:2 diet too. I have a problem with the MFP diary not adapting to this diet. It won't let you save your diary if you haven't had enough calories. I wish they would bring out a version which worked with this diet. However, the next day it does reset your allowance so at least you can start that day's diary. On the whole the diet seems to work, but I'm only on week 3. I find it easier if I only have breakfast and dinner as you need a prolonged fasting period to burn the fat. I'm using Michael Mosley's book and the science is pretty persuasive.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

Can I direct you good folks to this group, which has lots of great tips, advice and support.

Feeling cold on fast days is very common - you do get used to it, but a hot drink can help.
    Set MFP to maintenance, and dont bother hitting the "close diary" button on fast days.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the 5:2 diet too. I have a problem with the MFP diary not adapting to this diet. It won't let you save your diary if you haven't had enough calories. I wish they would bring out a version which worked with this diet. However, the next day it does reset your allowance so at least you can start that day's diary. On the whole the diet seems to work, but I'm only on week 3. I find it easier if I only have breakfast and dinner as you need a prolonged fasting period to burn the fat. I'm using Michael Mosley's book and the science is pretty persuasive.

The reason it gives you a warning is because there are people out there who have eating disorders and seeing praise in the form of "You'd weight <x amount> in 5 weeks" could only further fuel them, or trigger those who are recovering. MFP does it to cover their butts, which is totally understandable. This site was not designed for fasting type diets, end of story.
  • cradbent2000
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice re: my previous post. I understand about the eating disorder thing. And as melaniecheeks says you can get round the problem with closing the diary. It's a really good app though, and I love the food scanner.