Ketosis Diet

Options
I've been on a ketosis diet for months now. I've lost 64lbs so far and still have 50lbs to go. I feel as though the weight loss has hit a roadblock and I've been evaluating my macros. Right now I'm at 1500 calories with 5% carbs, 65% fat & 30% protein.

Should I do a fat-fast or try lowering my calories? I haven't been able to workout due to a recent injury to my knee. Any ideas would be appreciated. But keep in mind, I'm NOT on the Atkins diet. I'm true ketosis.

Replies

• janentmurray
    janentmurray Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's what they recommend.....if you hit a plateau for 2 weeks or more do a fat fast.....good luck and congrats on the weight loss so far.....I'm starting the ketogenic diet today I've been reading up on it, makes a lot of sense :)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm not real well read on ketosis but you might want to come over to the low carb group. A lot of good ideas from other low carbers.
  • Bre0135
    Bre0135 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you. Didn't know there was a low carb group.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    How long has it been static? Two weeks of no change isn't a plateau, but that wasn't your comment.

With less activity, changing your caloric intake would be the first thing to do. Use a TDEE and/or Keto Calculator to arrive at the numbers to fit your current situation.

Any sort of fat fast or egg/meat fast falls under my heading for "extreme", which I personally avoid! I can't imagine the few lbs lost on one would stay off if the calories aren't adjusted.
  • Bre0135
    Options
    That's what they recommend.....if you hit a plateau for 2 weeks or more do a fat fast.....good luck and congrats on the weight loss so far.....I'm starting the ketogenic diet today I've been reading up on it, makes a lot of sense :)

I LOVE ketosis!! I could have never lost the weight I did without it. I was a bad binge eater & ketosis allowed me to feel full & still satisfy my cravings. Good luck and hope you have the same success! :)
  • AliluniqueLaura
    AliluniqueLaura Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Google sitting/wheel chair exercises. You can probably still exercise but in a different way. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.
  • Bre0135
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    How long has it been static? Two weeks of no change isn't a plateau, but that wasn't your comment.

With less activity, changing your caloric intake would be the first thing to do. Use a TDEE and/or Keto Calculator to arrive at the numbers to fit your current situation.

Any sort of fat fast or egg/meat fast falls under my heading for "extreme", which I personally avoid! I can't imagine the few lbs lost on one would stay off if the calories aren't adjusted.

It's been stagnant for a month now. I think you're right about lowering the calories since I am limited on my physical activity. I'm going to lower to 1200 and see how that works.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason (Medically diagnosed, no "I read something online") you are severely limiting carbs? How do you plan to keep up with "diet" forever?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you aren't eating in a deficit. The type of diet has no bearing on that.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Google sitting/wheel chair exercises. You can probably still exercise but in a different way. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

This. There are a couple of them that look super easy, then you get half way into them and realize sitting down does not make them any lighter.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would up your fat to closer to 80% for a bit and see if that helps. I keep my macros at 5/20/75 and I have been losing pretty consistently for the past month and a half. Most people I know on keto usually do the same or try intermittent fasting and it works.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm recommending this, but there's the egg fast diet stall breaker. They have a Facebook page. It seems to get many people out of a stall/plateau
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The ignorance got turned up to 11 in this thread
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it can't work for some people. There are studies done for any kind of macro reduction, and I don't see why insulting whole groups of people does anything productive but make you seem like a superior high-horser.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it can't work for some people. There are studies done for any kind of macro reduction, and I don't see why insulting whole groups of people does anything productive but make you seem like a superior high-horser.

Where did I say I didn't "like" keto? Also great strawman, who said keto can't work? And what whole group of people did I insult?

Want to try this again and maybe chastise all the ignorant comments on upping fat, talks of plateaus etc and question if making silly suggestions is productive?

• JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bre0135 wrote: »
    I've been on a ketosis diet for months now. I've lost 64lbs so far and still have 50lbs to go. I feel as though the weight loss has hit a roadblock and I've been evaluating my macros. Right now I'm at 1500 calories with 5% carbs, 65% fat & 30% protein.

Should I do a fat-fast or try lowering my calories? I haven't been able to workout due to a recent injury to my knee. Any ideas would be appreciated. But keep in mind, I'm NOT on the Atkins diet. I'm true ketosis.

Fat fast with no dairy, no gluten, and only green veggies limited to 1k daily then slowly work up, add stuff back in, etc til you find whats making you stall.

Cut out sweetners and readd one at a time to make sure thats not an issue.

Also never trust sugar alcohols, not even the 0 GI ones.

Might go on reddits keto chat and run your daily food log past the ol pros there.

I'd also stack it so you get most of your fats at breakfast, green carbs at lunch, lean protein post workout/dinner. This allows you time to break the energy you need out over time and be done processing it later in the day.

Remember ketosis happens quick, becoming fat adapted doesn't. The ketones in your pee arent making you lose weight, your body liking fat does.
  • Bre0135
    Options
    jhitt1975 wrote: »

Fat fast with no dairy, no gluten, and only green veggies limited to 1k daily then slowly work up, add stuff back in, etc til you find whats making you stall.

Might go on reddits keto chat and run your daily food log past the ol pros there.

I'd also stack it so you get most of your fats at breakfast, green carbs at lunch, lean protein post workout/dinner. This allows you time to break the energy you need out over time and be done processing it later in the day.

Remember ketosis happens quick, becoming fat adapted doesn't. The ketones in your pee arent making you lose weight, your body liking fat does.
    These are some great suggestions! Thank you! I've been in Ketosis for so long now the pee sticks don't even read it. I test my blood levels & that's how I can tell if I'm good or not.

And for anyone doubting the ketosis diet, I was introduced to it by my doctor and have continually been monitored by her since. The idea that eating more fat would melt away the pounds was utterly ridiculous to me but I had tried everything else and was out of options. My BMI was over 36 and high blood pressure was starting to become an issue requiring medication. So I tried it and it's been an unbelievable journey!! I just want to continue it. Now I only have 40-50lbs left to lose so I know the lose is getting slower but I don't like the stand-still I've been at and I know it's in my macros or the hidden items in my diet. So I absolutely agree with your ideas jhitt1975. :smiley:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    jhitt1975 wrote: »

Not to mention a deficit, that seems to work too.

• LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track with lowering your calories to 1200 and then when you're able to exercise more you could try going back to 1500. I lost a considerable amount of weight by eating low carb and noticed that the less I weighed the smaller my portions had to be in order for me to keep losing. I just wasn't burning the same amount of calories as I was when I was a bigger person. I didn't really pay attention to the actual calorie count just focused on the portion size, but really same thing. Best part is even though my portions are smaller I'm still not hungry because of all the fat and protein!
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    How can I calculate my my macros for ketosis? I think I am consuming to much protein and I am constantly bloated.