Predict the next big diet fad

Options
We've seen low fat, no fat, low carbs, paleo, keto, gluten-free, etc. What do you think the next big fad will be?

I'd like to think it will be "casein-free" since casein has been linked (possibly) to breast cancer and that is a big concern for most people. That is sure worse than anything gluten can do.

Replies

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Paleo is already pretty anti dairy.... But I agree, somehow protein will be targeted next. Maybe some vegan variant?

Low FODMAP is getting traction in the nutrition world to repair the digestive tract. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the next big thing
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    We've seen low fat, no fat, low carbs, paleo, keto, gluten-free, etc. What do you think the next big fad will be?

I'd like to think it will be "casein-free" since casein has been linked (possibly) to breast cancer and that is a big concern for most people. That is sure worse than anything gluten can do.

So you've read The China Study too? ;););) Many of the veggie people I know cite that book as the reason why they went vegan, or more specifically, raw vegan, or high carb low fat vegan.

Most of them are omnivores now because they just. couldn't. live. without. cheese. :p I don't know if it will catch on mainstream, but fear of protein is big in the vegan circles.

I even know a soy free, corn free, gluten free, nut free vegan. She lives on air and sunshine, and not much else. :D

• lozzyhunxx
    lozzyhunxx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Yup. Protein or a variant is definitely the next to de demonised.

The one after that will be where people accept it's their fault, not the food's. Oh wait, that'll never happen.

Love this :D
    Very true, though.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Stool transplanting.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Water is the devil
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

So you've read The China Study too? ;););) Many of the veggie people I know cite that book as the reason why they went vegan, or more specifically, raw vegan, or high carb low fat vegan.

Most of them are omnivores now because they just. couldn't. live. without. cheese. :p I don't know if it will catch on mainstream, but fear of protein is big in the vegan circles.

I even know a soy free, corn free, gluten free, nut free vegan. She lives on air and sunshine, and not much else. :D
    That casein study was interesting in that after they poisoned the mice and then fed them casein, they later succumbed to cancer and then died, but what's interesting was the mice that were not fed the casein pretty much died immediately, so yeah, no cancer. that tidbit of information was only accessible in the original data that was gathered in the China-Cornell-Oxford Project, and not the book he wrote. Thought that was interesting.

• strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Alternate Day Fasting + very low carb diet
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I suspect it will be a result of the new food guidelines that are supposed to come out this year. If you've never read the public comments that were taken last year, it's pretty easy to watch where each of the different biases are coming from:
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2015/comments/readComments.aspx

Many of the comments are officially anonymous, but all the different food companies and lobby groups have to identify themselves. You'll find everything from Monster to Welch's to the Dairy Council throwing in their 2 cents, along with a ton of doctors and private citizens.

Those comments are basically a preview to the food arguments that are coming for the next 5 years.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    fear of protein is big in the vegan circles.

Yup, that's my impression from the vegans I know.

I don't see low FODMAP or vegan really catching on as a fad, though, since both are a lot more work unless you really have food issues/have an ethical commitment.

I do think it will be anti protein, but think we have a few years before it happens.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Mad Men Diet.............you smoke and drink at the office but come home for dinner.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Anti protein would be crazy! I think that lifting weights in preference to cardio is becoming a trend (amongst the girls I know at least - none of my group lifted last year, but now ten of us have started). Also fusion exercise - I have seen a lot of combined gym classes to 'burn fat' - such as 'piloxing'! Hehe
  • JPW1990
    Options
    fatboyliz wrote: »
    Anti protein would be crazy! I think that lifting weights in preference to cardio is becoming a trend (amongst the girls I know at least - none of my group lifted last year, but now ten of us have started). Also fusion exercise - I have seen a lot of combined gym classes to 'burn fat' - such as 'piloxing'! Hehe

Do I want to google piloxing? My mind immediately went to pilates and detoxing at the same time, which sounds...messy.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Pilates and boxing!
  • JPW1990
    Options
    fatboyliz wrote: »
    Pilates and boxing!

That's much better, sorta
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no sugar, no protein ...
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet with a bit of alcohol at the weekends and the odd sweet made at home....wait, thats not a fad diet, thats a normal diet :D
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'd never even heard of keto a year ago, now two people I know IRL are doing it. So maybe that.
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I suspect it will be a result of the new food guidelines that are supposed to come out this year. If you've never read the public comments that were taken last year, it's pretty easy to watch where each of the different biases are coming from:

Many of the comments are officially anonymous, but all the different food companies and lobby groups have to identify themselves. You'll find everything from Monster to Welch's to the Dairy Council throwing in their 2 cents, along with a ton of doctors and private citizens.

Those comments are basically a preview to the food arguments that are coming for the next 5 years.

Orrrrrrrr maybe we can just continue with "gluten is the debil" no one gets tired of that

nv1jkll812vv.png
  • mad_strawberry
    mad_strawberry Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I really want to see "no protein and no water" diet fad.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    I'd never even heard of keto a year ago, now two people I know IRL are doing it. So maybe that.
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Orrrrrrrr maybe we can just continue with "gluten is the debil" no one gets tired of that

nv1jkll812vv.png

I've been keto 15 years. Does that mean I have to be a hipster now?