What Causes NO weight loss when in a deficit???

Just wondering if someone can list the things that could cause NO weight loss while in a calorie deficit. The ones I know are:

1) Thyroid issues
2) Not logging accurately
3) Not enough sleep
4) Too much stress

I have hypothyroid but it's been controlled for 21 years by a daily pill. I eat 1500cals and no more than 100grams of carbs a day. Aiming for 113g of protein and 58g of healthy fats. I do Strong Lifts 5*5 and cardio twice a week, run after a 18month old baby, work fulltime (half day in office, half day in retail store). I also clean alot and cut the grass every few days with a push mower. Im 5'9 and currently 155lb approx. TDEE is 2048...so im at a 25% deficit. I tried 15% deficit and nothing....

Replies

• Copequeen
    Copequeen Posts: 34 Member
    In 5'11" and my BMI ideal weight is 170-180. What is yours?? Maybe your body is where it wants to be or needs to be.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Im 5'9" and 155lbs. I was 140 before pregnancy and left my absolute BEST ever!!! Now im 18 months postpartum and here trying to getting smaller!!! Fat loss/muscle built whatever!!! but just smaller...
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    155 sounds like a good weight for 5'9. I believe it's just at the top of my weight range at 5'6". I could be wrong, but with TDEE isn't it recommended to lower the cut with less to lose? For some reason I thought it was from 20 to 10 to 5 as a person neared goal. Maybe even the 15% cut was too aggressive?
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    There is only one thing that could cause NO weight loss while in a
    calorie deficit, and is not actually being in a calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you're already at a healthy BF%, it's going to be slow going. Small cut and lots of time...lift heavy things and put them down. You'll slowly but surely lean out.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    So you are technically already at a healthy weight right now, so losing may be a lot slower for you. Sounds like you are exercising and watching your calories. I just wanted to make sure that you are using a food scale for everything. When I use that little device, I always lose. Without it, its more a crapshoot.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    There is only one thing that could cause NO weight loss while in a
    calorie deficit, and is not actually being in a calorie deficit.

Ya! It's not like u would not lose weight from being in a 25% deficit. How could u not lose weight??? Just like ive read before "As long as ur in a deficit, the weight will come off"
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    So you are technically already at a healthy weight right now, so losing may be a lot slower for you. Sounds like you are exercising and watching your calories. I just wanted to make sure that you are using a food scale for everything. When I use that little device, I always lose. Without it, its more a crapshoot.

Yep, i use a digi scale my kitchen! measuring cups and spoons too!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    If you're already at a healthy BF%, it's going to be slow going. Small cut and lots of time...lift heavy things and put them down. You'll slowly but surely lean out.

What happens if i am doing a large cut?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    If you're exercising, I've noticed that a lot of people are probably overestimating their exercise calories burned.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Eating more calories than recorded

Burning fewer calories than recorded

Sodium

DOMS
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    If you're exercising, I've noticed that a lot of people are probably overestimating their exercise calories burned.
    I found this out recently when I moved to maintenance after reaching my goal weight, thanks to the advice from a friend I eat 3/4 of my exercise calories back as opposed to all of them, because MFP database(or me) seems to overestimate the burn.

Works well so far...for me.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    It's somewhat controversial, but I'm personally convinced that different people handle carbohydrates differently. Most people can tolerate them just fine, but you might be one of the ones who has issues.
  • Rwheltsley
    Rwheltsley Posts: 16 Member
    One thing I noticed (also doing Stronglifts 5x5 on an aggressive deficit >25%) is that my weightloss stalled completely for about 4 weeks at the beginning of the program. The only explanation I was able to muster up is that your body is so unused to working out that you are literally holding onto a lot of extra water as you rebuild your muscle. Once your body gets used to this rebuilding phase, it will normalize out. I was forced to take about 3 weeks off from lifting but didn't change my diet at all and noticed that the weight that I didn't think I was losing was actually gone (~7lbs) - but the water was hiding it on the scale. Once I started lifting heavy again, I swelled back up and my weight went back up about 3-4lbs - again, with no change in diet.

My pants size is still consistently going down as I continue to lift, but the weight isn't dropping nearly as fast as it was before I started lifting and was only doing cardio.

I'm no pro, but that is my only half-assed reasoning for what I have noticed for me personally.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    I do the whoosh. I work and work and have a deficit and NOTHING. Every few weeks it all seems to go at the same time. Don't know why but it's happened like that for me for the last year!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    It's somewhat controversial, but I'm personally convinced that different people handle carbohydrates differently. Most people can tolerate them just fine, but you might be one of the ones who has issues.

Yep! Type 1 Diabetic
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Eating more calories than recorded

Burning fewer calories than recorded

Sodium

DOMS

Whats does DOMS mean? I don't worry about exercise calories burned because I am using the TDEE method and I don't eat exercise cals back. I just exercise whenever and I try my very best to stay within this new calorie goal.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Yep! Type 1 Diabetic

Ahhh. Yeah. As I'm sure you already know, injecting insulin will really screw up weight loss efforts. It'll take a lot longer. Only thing I can suggest is weight-lifting, which from your profile you're already doing. Good luck!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    Just wondering if someone can list the things that could cause NO weight loss while in a calorie deficit. The ones I know are:

1) Thyroid issues
    2) Not logging accurately
    3) Not enough sleep
    4) Too much stress

I have hypothyroid but it's been controlled for 21 years by a daily pill. I eat 1500cals and no more than 100grams of carbs a day. Aiming for 113g of protein and 58g of healthy fats. I do Strong Lifts 5*5 and cardio twice a week, run after a 18month old baby, work fulltime (half day in office, half day in retail store). I also clean alot and cut the grass every few days with a push mower. Im 5'9 and currently 155lb approx. TDEE is 2048...so im at a 25% deficit. I tried 15% deficit and nothing....

Apart from certain medical conditions, underestimating calories in food and drink and overestimating exercise calories is the main culprit.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Yep! Type 1 Diabetic

Ahhh. Yeah. As I'm sure you already know, injecting insulin will really screw up weight loss efforts. It'll take a lot longer. Only thing I can suggest is weight-lifting, which from your profile you're already doing. Good luck!

Strange thing is I did it 2.5 years ago and lost 15lbs in 3 months! Then i got preggers..... i just ate healthier, did cardio and light weights 3 times a week. Maybe I should stop heavy lifting for a week and see if my weight will drop water weight???? I believe ive lost a 1/2 and inch anyways on my belly. Woohoo!!! sucks buts at least its something.