What Causes NO weight loss when in a deficit???

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Water weight would be the likely culprit, caused by many of the reasons you listed, or TOM, too much sodium, or eating something for which you have an intollerance.

It's also possible that your BMR and TDEE are just naturally lower than average. The calulators can give you a good starting point but sometimes you need to adjust for what your body is telling you. With thyroid issues, I would not think it unusual to have a BMR lower than average.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    #6 metabolic shutdown due to too much of a deficit for too long. If you're interested, YouTube Biolayne metabolic shutdown
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    But heavy lifting when diabetic shouldn't stop or slower the pants size decreasing right? it's just the weight # that it might eff with, correct? I just want a smaller body so bad. One that's smooth, tight and small............. so close but yet so far....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed (also doing Stronglifts 5x5 on an aggressive deficit >25%) is that my weightloss stalled completely for about 4 weeks at the beginning of the program. The only explanation I was able to muster up is that your body is so unused to working out that you are literally holding onto a lot of extra water as you rebuild your muscle. Once your body gets used to this rebuilding phase, it will normalize out. I was forced to take about 3 weeks off from lifting but didn't change my diet at all and noticed that the weight that I didn't think I was losing was actually gone (~7lbs) - but the water was hiding it on the scale. Once I started lifting heavy again, I swelled back up and my weight went back up about 3-4lbs - again, with no change in diet.

My pants size is still consistently going down as I continue to lift, but the weight isn't dropping nearly as fast as it was before I started lifting and was only doing cardio.

I'm no pro, but that is my only half-assed reasoning for what I have noticed for me personally.

This is likely because now you're losing only/mostly fat rather than fat and muscle, which will make the scale progress slower but you should be losing inches still. And you are correct about fluid retention for muscle repair.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    #6 metabolic shutdown due to too much of a deficit for too long. If you're interested, YouTube Biolayne metabolic shutdown

I've been eating 1700cal since February and since eff all for progress, I even took a 1.5 week break from logging and eat whatever in April... then continued with 1700cal. (some days going over - definalely 2 days for sure) then June 1st Ive decided to cut to 1500cals and cutting out bread, pasta and rice. (i was always having wholegrain, but still). so im onto day 3 with under 100gram carbs a day and its okay but i really have to plan meals ahead to stick with this plan.
  • RunIntoYou
    Options
    Does drinking too much water make you retail or loss body weight?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than recorded

Burning fewer calories than recorded

Sodium

DOMS

Whats does DOMS mean? I don't worry about exercise calories burned because I am using the TDEE method and I don't eat exercise cals back. I just exercise whenever and I try my very best to stay within this new calorie goal.

I agree with this!
    DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Muscles tend to hold fluid as they repair, or that's what I'm lead to believe.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Well....

here's my question.....

have you checked body comp.?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Does drinking too much water make you retail or loss body weight?

I am a 1 litre and 2 coffee a day MAX kinda drinker. Im never thirsty is seems so I cann't answer ur question.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Bump for interesting reading
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Well....

here's my question.....

What do you mean have I checked body comp?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Inconsistent logging doesn't help either. There are many days where you have a bad day, then go 2-3 days of no logging at all, then a day of logging 1-2 food items... unless you're keeping track elsewhere, you may be above your TDEE more than you are below it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Well....

here's my question.....

Your body composition.

In other words, have you been monitoring your body fat %, water%, Lean Body Mass, etc.? If so, has that changed? If so, what changes were made?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Well....

here's my question.....

Your body composition.

In other words, have you been monitoring your body fat %, water%, Lean Body Mass, etc.? If so, has that changed? If so, what changes were made?

No idea, just know that as per body fat calculator im about 26% as per my height and weight. Healthy I know - but not good enough for me. Aiming for 20% and yummy! lol. Also, as per calulator LBM comes out to 116lbs. This is why i am eating 113g of protein per day as I heard we should eat 1g of protein per lb of LBM. As per fat .35 per lb of LBM. Im a little over though, the calculation equals i should eat 40g of fat but im eating 58g and the rest carbs from veggies, fruit, dairy,sauces.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The one's I know of are

1) weighing too frequently
    2) TOM
    3) high salt intake resulting in water retention
    4) alcohol consumption causing same ^
    5) platform shoes
    6) boots
    7) forgetting to remove your waist cincher belt
    8) weighing on the wrong/different time of day
    9) using a different/broken scale
    10) measuring food wrong or bad maths re: cals over a period of time
    11) overestimating exercise cal burns and then eating back all the cals
    12) unknown pregnancy weight gain
    13) lying to yourself about what you ate
    14) forgetting what you ate
    15) not logging something, like handsful when you pass the candy jar, raisinettes bag, chips basket, etc. Over time.
    16) choosing a "Free" food not to log and finding out later it was not really a food you should have considered free. (raisinettes.)
    17) your jealous bestie who is not losing weight as fast as you pressing on the scale behind you with her foot.
    18) same jealous bestie turning the dial at the bottom of the scale pretending to tie her shoe after weighing herself and then distracting you with compliments and jokes while you get on it so you won't notice it did not return to "zero".

Most of these can be corrected by correcting number "1)" I put them in bold. Some of them require fashion emergency, some require "just break up".
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if you've put a solid month together and the scale hasn't moved its 1 or 2 and almost definetly 2.

not even sure if one is going to do it if your at an honest defecit.

break out the food scale and the measuring cups. its really not optional
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i think the idea of 'metabolic shut down' due to eating at two heigh a defecit is a complete myth and really just something people tell themselves to feel better.

eating less calories then you burn is defeintly going to cause you to loose mass. it may slow down here and there for whatever reason, but if you simply didn't eat, you'd lose a lot of mass before you eventually died.

not really sure why this one keeps perpetuating. the only reason not to eat benieth a certain amount of calories is so that you body remains healthy and you don't loose too much muscle.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ^?....and ^^?? :huh:
  • gpinzone
    gpinzone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs even if the calories are below target. That's why people lose weight faster when carbs are restricted. Increase fat, lower carbs and the weight loss will resume.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9" and 155lbs. I was 140 before pregnancy and left my absolute BEST ever!!! Now im 18 months postpartum and here trying to getting smaller!!! Fat loss/muscle built whatever!!! but just smaller...
    Your BMI is 22, you're in great shape! That's pretty ideal :) And bodies change post-partum, since you're still well under having a weight problem and you're at a healthy weight, your body might just like this weight. You look great :)